Thread: Wifi poor performance following upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Wifi poor performance following upgrade

Is there anything in the 9.04 release which may have affected wifi performance?

I upgraded my son's desktop and daughter's laptop to 9.04 yesterday (actually I flattened them and did a full virgin install on both; it gave me chance to clean their machines up and they had nothing to lose being 5 and 3 respectively) and the wifi performance seems to have become degraded on both since.

The desktop:

Is sited about 4m from the router, through a stud wall, plaster ceiling and wooden floorboards. Has always been poor with a signal around 15-20% but connected to the router at 11Mbps at it's worst. Now it's showing around 8-17% and connecting at 1Mbps. Actual network performance is so degraded I can't even remote view the desktop from my own machine, and browsing the web is so sloooow it's not practical.

The laptop:

Is about 5m from the router, through an extra stud wall. It previously showed signal of about 80% and connected at 54Mbps. Now it shows 65% and connects at between 1-5Mbps.

Can anyone explain the degradation? My employer provides me with a Windows laptop and this is performing normally as I take is around the house and even from the back of my car earlier today which is parked on the drive outside...

Beans

Re: Wifi poor performance following upgrade

I'm running 9.04, my laptop is about 10 feet away from the router, with no obstructions and I get 60 - 70%, I turn around and reboot with Vista, and get an Excellent signal strength.
    It looks like the signal strength meters are not calibrated the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Yeah, I was thinking that at first; that maybe it was just displaying the signal differently between the two versions of Ubuntu. But the actual network performance is degraded also...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Just finished a smooth clean install of Jaunty on my better halfs Hp Mini 2133. All went really smooth. After install I went to hardware manger and enabled the broadcom driver. And it found my wifi router. I got the password prompt and all (WEP). I logged on and it connected to the network. It says; Active (100%). But strangely enough it wont connect to the net. Plugin in a hardline switches immediately to Wired connection with a working connection. Restarting/rebooting doesn't change anything. Deselecting the Broadcom driver makes us loose the Wifi. Re-enabling it leaves us with the same detected but not working net.

Can anyone help out?
    Ubuntu/10.04 Lucid Lynx | AMD Athlon X64 3000+ | 3 GB RAM | 650 GB (3 WD HDDs) + 750 GB external (WD) |ATI X700 EXCALIBUR PRO (256 MB)|FF/3.6.9

Beans

Have exactly the same story as the others above. Clean installs....wifi signal + network connectivity/fidelity are patchy at best with Jaunty.

I'm looking specifically for someone to give me a good argument how this aspect of Ubuntu "Just Works", because it sure doesn't for me.

Hoping that this will spur more conversation on the topic. Will provide more details if it turns out that we are not the only ones.

-frustrated

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Found out that the problem was related to the Router/Modem itself. Blackberry and XP work machine experienced the same thing. The problem was and is not OS specific in our household. Wifi running fine out of the box with Jaunty on HP 2133.
    Ubuntu/10.04 Lucid Lynx | AMD Athlon X64 3000+ | 3 GB RAM | 650 GB (3 WD HDDs) + 750 GB external (WD) |ATI X700 EXCALIBUR PRO (256 MB)|FF/3.6.9