Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left Click has stopped working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Left Click has stopped working

After the upgrade to Jaunty my left click has stopped. I am using a Dell Inspiron 4100 and the left click on the touchpad nor the mouse I have plugged in are working. The one on the mouse will work until I launch firefox. The touchpad left click will not work at all. Right click is fine in all areas and the touchpad itself works fine. I kind of like to 2 finger scroll now. Does anyone have a fix? I am having to tab around to post this.

Ok, this happens in Epiphany too. With IE the thing totally locks up after a few minutes. After a restart the left click will work for a while on the mouse. This is driving me crazy.
    Last edited by tbullock; April 24th, 2009 at 03:30 PM. Reason: New Information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Left Click has stopped working

Any Ideas? I have switched back to windows on another PC to try to get this sorted.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok, this appears to be happening when you try to use the touchpad. Not sure about this but stuff stops working afterward. Are there any drivers available that may correct this as it was not an issue with Intrepid. This is killing me. If not a driver or fix for this how can I go back to Intrepid without just restarting with the disk I have. The disk had like 280 updates or something after installing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Bump for any suggestions?????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have this exact same problem. I've been through a number of tinkering attempted fixes, without any success. I have a Thinkpad rather than a Dell as well, I thought it might be system specific or hardware, but running the Intrepid live CD I have the mouse works properly.

So the things I've done are all things I've seen suggested for issues with the Thinkpad Trackpoint control:

1: Turn off mouse in bios, boot Ubuntu, reboot, return on mouse in bios.
    2: In xorg.conf put in code to make the trackpoint work like the scroll wheel on a mouse.
    3: Reconfigure mouse to left handed
    4: As Jaunty is apparently trying to move away from xorg.conf, modify Hal protocol to do the same as 2.

Combinations of 2 and 3 or 3 and 4 occasionally seem a little successful, but even then there are odd problems, like the button will work for bars along the top of the screen, but not the scroll bars at the side, and when trying to drag boxes it's impossible to click off.

I will begin making more noise about this once I've finished the freelance assignment that I'm supposed to be doing that this is completely screwing with.

Beans
    Distro

OK, so after A LOT of messing around, I've put an Intrepid partition on the machine that was having this problem, and the mouse works fine. I find having to have two operating systems extremely irritating, but need the machine to do work, so what you gonna do?

I think it might be possible to assign another key to use as left click - I've asked in another thread - keep an eye on it here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=7201163

I've also reported this as a bug in Launchpad - I don't know if it will achieve anything though, especially as I misunderstood the automatic error reporting thing and ended up partly reporting it as an error with the help documentation!

Anyway, the bug ID is 371563, so you can go add your comments.

It may help if we figure out whether what we have is really the same problem. How does yours manifest itself?

On my machine, when Ubuntu boots up you get a drag box on the desktop initially. In Jaunty the leftclick then doesn't work, but in Intrepid it does - so far!

Anyone else got any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

So the thread I linked before did have some useful advice on using xmodmap to using a keyboard key as a replacement. Switching my right shift key to be left click did work - briefly. Oddly, it also turned my left click back on. However now neither my right shift or left mouse button work. Very reminiscent of what happened when I attempted to fix it using xorg and hal. I'm increasingly thinking there's something seriously odd here.

Beans
    Distro

OK, I think I've sorted this now. It appears that the touchpad on my laptop was on its way out, and Jaunty responded to this by not letting me left click at all (behaving like left click is permanently held down).

Intrepid was starting with the left click held down, but to start with I could turn it off by pressing escape. However in the last few days it began clicking at random, so I turned off the touchpad. When I also turned off the touchpad in Jaunty, hey presto, the left click buttons work fine.

I'm not sure why it was initially a problem with Jaunty but not Intrepid. However I now have everything on Jaunty and it appears to be working fine... (did I really just write that?!?).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think you may be correct because I am fine with a mouse pugged in via Usb. I have to turn off the touch pad or it gets all screwy. I tried for days and there were no errors with the touch pad but who knows. I just use a mouse now and have quit worrying about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've got the same problem. Everything was working great, then I left for a few hours, and the left click doesn't work.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T60, running Jaunty and I DO have a USB mouse plugged in which works until I try to use the touchpad (which uses the synaptics driver -- I wonder if that's the problem?).

I'll try turning off the touchpad and see what happens. Luckily I've still got a few months of warranty left, so I can get my touchpad replaced, probably.

Edit: Well, there ya go. I disabled the touchpad in the BIOS, and everything works "swimmingly." (The [blank] mouse/trackpoint works fine, as do the top set of mouse buttons on the laptop, altho the touchpad and the bottom set of mouse buttons are disabled.) Onwards to trying to fix the touchpad.
    Last edited by insert_name_here; May 19th, 2009 at 06:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast