Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP Pavilion dv5 can't suspend

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

HP Pavilion dv5 can't suspend

I have a brand new Jaunty 64-bit installation on this laptop and I only ran update and installed the nvidia driver using the restricted driver module. When I suspend it, it can't be started back on. It keeps telling me errors about can't start ata devices. I think it's saying that it can't start the HDD.

Please help.

The hardware in this laptop is mostly standard: Centino 2 2.0 GHz, 3 GB RAM, nvidia GeForce 9200M GS, Intel Wireless 5100. I installed over a 8 GB / and 1 GB swap. I know that I should have made swap bigger if I was going to hibernate, but I want to suspend to RAM not hibernate.

It works great in Vista on another partition.

Edit: I meant Centrino not Celeron.
    Last edited by Amorphous_Snake; May 13th, 2009 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Changed text

Beans
    Distro

Re: HP Pavilion dv5 can't suspend

Anyone?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Amorphous_Snake View Post
    I have a brand new Jaunty 64-bit installation on this laptop and I only ran update and installed the nvidia driver using the restricted driver module. When I suspend it, it can't be started back on. It keeps telling me errors about can't start ata devices. I think it's saying that it can't start the HDD.

Please help.

The hardware in this laptop is mostly standard: Celeron 2 2.0 GHz, 3 GB RAM, nvidia GeForce 9200M GS, Intel Wireless 5100. I installed over a 8 GB / and 1 GB swap. I know that I should have made swap bigger if I was going to hibernate, but I want to suspend to RAM not hibernate.

It works great in Vista on another partition.

I also have Jaunty 9.04 amd64 on my HP dv5z.

When I suspend at the login screen my computer goes into and out from suspension normally as well as when I suspend while logged in and at the desktop, my computer goes into and out from suspension normally.

I have a different spec though:

.::. AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.1 GHz, 3GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400, Atheros AR928X; Installed on 28 GB, partitioned along side Vista and the HP support partition .::.

However, after I select the Ubuntu installation in the GRUB, I get two errors:

[random number ID, ie.- 2.284258] ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)

[random number ID, ie.- 2.284258] ata2: softreset failed (device not read)

Ubuntu then loads normally and I can login and use the installation just fine.

Are these the same errors you get?

Beans

I get similar errors when loading Ubuntu on my HP Pavilion dv5-1004nr
    And when I put my computer to sleep keyboard and touchpad won't respond after waking it up.

Beans
    Distro

The error I receive is different something about:

ata1: irq_stat 0x000000040, connection status changed
    ata1: SError: {DevExch}
    EXT3-fs error (device sda5): ext3_find_entry: reading directory # (some numbers) offset 0

ata2: irq_stat 0x000000040, connection status changed
    ata2: SError: {DevExch}
    ata2: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x4000000000 action 0xe frozen

the same errors repeat over and over when I wake up, alternating between ata1 and ata2 as headers with the rest of the text the same, except for some changing numbers at the beginning of the line like (240.722819, 240.722945, etc, etc)

I am really at a loss. The system doesn't wake up from hibernation too. Hibernation is not important to me, as I hardly use it in Windows.

Beans
    Distro

If you're using Ubuntu on a HP dv5 then I have good news and bad news for you.

Good news: You're not alone.
    Bad news: There is no fix as of yet.

There is an Ubuntu bug report open for it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...3?comments=all

At present it appears to be a bug in the BIOS, so this puts a fix in the hands of HP.

What you can do is to contact HP support, to let them know we exist, and give your support on the HP Support forum thread. All the details can be found toward the bottom of the above link.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by SDXeus View Post
    I also have Jaunty 9.04 amd64 on my HP dv5z.

When I suspend at the login screen my computer goes into and out from suspension normally as well as when I suspend while logged in and at the desktop, my computer goes into and out from suspension normally.

I have a different spec though:

.::. AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.1 GHz, 3GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400, Atheros AR928X; Installed on 28 GB, partitioned along side Vista and the HP support partition .::.

However, after I select the Ubuntu installation in the GRUB, I get two errors:

[random number ID, ie.- 2.284258] ata1: softreset failed (device not ready)

[random number ID, ie.- 2.284258] ata2: softreset failed (device not read)

Ubuntu then loads normally and I can login and use the installation just fine.

Are these the same errors you get?
    +1

I observed that my USB mouse continues to work after a sleep (Suspend to RAM) but my keyboard and mouse pad fails to work.

Has anyone got the same problem on any other distros? I quickly glanced through gentoo forums and could not find any similar problem reported. Maybe this is a ubuntu specific or rather kernel specific bug. Googling more info about this...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

For people facing the problem of keyboard and touchpad not working after suspend, the following thread gives a solution
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1047284

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by whichpaul View Post
    At present it appea.rs to be a bug in the BIOS, so this puts a fix in the hands of HP.
    Oh goody.

Beans
    Distro

Bug #301353 has been fixed by a BIOS update from HP!

If you have a HP dv5, dv4, dv6 or HDX update your BIOS to the latest release from HP (May release onwards).

In a future release of the Linux kernel the faulty BIOS will be blacklisted so that it simply generates a warning / error instead of failing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast