Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeze in Jaunty

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Freeze in Jaunty

I too am experiencing this and it's a minor relief to see I'm not the only one.

The freezes started about 1 to 2 weeks ago on jaunty. I thought it might be the machine so I swapped machines at work. Same deal. Then I got fed up with ubuntu and installed arch. Guess what, same freezing.

It only happens when doing lots of disk activity, such as building some large projects. I've gotten to the point where I can easily duplicate it.

There are no error messages in any of my logs, but after killing x and running a build in a virtual console I was finally able to see a kernel panic error message: "not syncing: Aiee killing interrupt handler".

My machines are both dells, both xeons with nvidia cards and intel chipsets.

Edit: Upgrading kernel to 29 or 30 did not help. I'm using 64-bit ext4.

Edit: I can duplicate it 100% doing an svn up. So it may be a network problem instead of an IO problem - lack of error messages make it impossible to tell.

Edit: [Solved?] Disabling AHCI in my bios seems to make the system more stable... at least I can't easily reproduce the freeze anymore.

Edit: Nevermind, still freezing...

Edit: [Solved!] Finally got it fixed by installing Arch, and downgrading to the 2.6.28 kernel with nvidia 180.29 driver. Not sure why this fixes it considering Jaunty uses 2.6.28, but it does.
    Last edited by jsravn; July 8th, 2009 at 02:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Laysan_A View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVW View Post
    I'm really wanting to avoid a fresh install...
    Hi,

I can understand why you might not want to start from scratch, but it really sounds like you just have something missing, or maybe improperly configured, from your upgrade/install. Have you tried just installing a new kernel? You never know, it might work for you, and it's not too involved if you use one of the precompiled ones from the ubuntu kernel source. If it doesn't work, no harm, no foul.
    Thanks! Now, forgive the noob question (I've [i]only been using Linux for 9 years! ) How do I do that?
    IBM Thinkpad r51, Ubuntu 12.04
    Homebuilt Intel Core2Duo E4500, 4.0GB RAM, EVGA/nVidia GT440, Dual-boot W7/Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit
    Dell Optiplex 755, 4.0GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 14.04 64-bit (local file/print/music server)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by bearozo View Post
    What type of monitor do you have ? I had problem configuring my old KFC (smile) monitor when I changed to a newer Nokia with proper plug and pray all problems disappeared.
    It's a Viewsonic A75f.
    Homebuilt Intel Core2Duo E4500, 4.0GB RAM, EVGA/nVidia GT440, Dual-boot W7/Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit
    Dell Optiplex 755, 4.0GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 14.04 64-bit (local file/print/music server)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Are you sure it's:

CTRL+ALT+SySRq (PrintScrn) keep holding CTRL+ALT and hit R+E+I+S+U+B

I ask because the link seems to indicate it's:

Hold ALT+SySRq (PrintScrn) and type R+E+I+S+U+B

Of course, doing ALT+SySRq (PrintScrn) and type R+E+I+S+U+B without 3 hands might be a bit tricky so I consider the link might be giving the incorrect info. Plus you get the print screen popup box
    Trapper
    LOL!!! I just got a mental image of pressing all of that at the same time!

I think the idea is:

(right hand) hold <ALT> & <SysSq>, then (left hand) press & release R, then press & release E, etc., etc.

It works when mine freezes. It still can take three or four resets... sometimes one... before it starts.

The intermittentness (is that even a word?!) is driving me nutty.

Beans

ProphetOfDoom, I also had the same freezes in both Fedora 11 and Jaunty.

Perhaps it could be an ext4 issue?

My ideas are nVidia, a kernel setting conflict of some sort, or Ext4.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyVW View Post
    It's a Viewsonic A75f.
    It seems to be about 10 years old maybe the Plug and Pray is not detected properly.

But if you can set refresh rates and resolution as u wish it should be allright.

If not you could find figures in the windows inf. file to write your own modelines in xorg.conf.

You could borrow a newer monitor and plug that in to see what happens though.

Also this, but get the right drivers i386 or am64 depending on what you use: http://linuxcrypt.net/?p=255
    Last edited by bearozo; July 7th, 2009 at 01:15 PM.
    ECS Nforce 939, AMD Athlon 4400+ X2, Geforce 7300LE, Nokia 447Xav, ATA ST3500630AS, ATA ST3160023AS, Optiarc AD-7170S, 2GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Are you sure it's:

CTRL+ALT+SySRq (PrintScrn) keep holding CTRL+ALT and hit R+E+I+S+U+B

I ask because the link seems to indicate it's:

Hold ALT+SySRq (PrintScrn) and type R+E+I+S+U+B

Of course, doing ALT+SySRq (PrintScrn) and type R+E+I+S+U+B without 3 hands might be a bit tricky so I consider the link might be giving the incorrect info. Plus you get the print screen popup box
    Trapper

You hold down ALT +SySRq and pres REISUB one at the time, give a little time betwix each press.
    ECS Nforce 939, AMD Athlon 4400+ X2, Geforce 7300LE, Nokia 447Xav, ATA ST3500630AS, ATA ST3160023AS, Optiarc AD-7170S, 2GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm experiencing freezes with Jaunty 9.04 i386 (ext3) too, when it happens my laptop keyboard's capslock LED is blinking all the time.
    This often happens when browsing with Firefox, rarely when watching a movie (SMPlayer).
    Sometimes I'm facing automatic logoffs to the logon screen with unsaved data loss.
    Freezes and logoffs happen once in 6-8 hours.

There was no such kind of issue when running 8.10 AMD64.
    My cpu is Athlon 1,6 GHz, video is ATI x1250.

Maybe I'll update the kernel.
    Last edited by Lety; July 7th, 2009 at 01:41 PM.

Beans

Since this started, I've also had freezes on live cds and on 8.04. Diagnostic tests on my memory and hard drive show no errors so I'll try to reinstall 9.04 from scratch...

Never again will I upgrade unless it's really essential, such a hassle...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Chemical Imbalance View Post
    ProphetOfDoom, I also had the same freezes in both Fedora 11 and Jaunty.

Perhaps it could be an ext4 issue?

My ideas are nVidia, a kernel setting conflict of some sort, or Ext4.
    Im on ext3, and still get crashes.
    MoBo: Asus Crosshair II Formula -|- CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE
    RAM: Mushkin 2x2GB DDR2 1066 -|- PSU: Corsair 750W
    OS: Windows 7 64-bit / Ubuntu 9.04 -|- Monitor: Samsung 2343BWX

Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast