Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeze in Jaunty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Freeze in Jaunty

Since installing a clean copy on Jaunty I get random freezes. This is on computers with Nvidia and ATI-cards. It's not a hardwareproblem since Intrepid can run for days without freezing.

From what I've seen, there is a couple of other people having the same problem?

Anyone know if there is a bugreport on this?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Freeze in Jaunty

My experience - 2 hard lock freezes in 20 minutes after upgrading to Jaunty.

Reading people's similar experiences, all I can say is that either Canonical's pre-release testing procedures are a joke, or they simply don't care.

I can't help but contrast this experience with my full-time use of Windows 7 *beta* during which I've experienced one serious crash in 3 months.

I would prefer to be using linux, but I won't be using Jaunty over my Win 7 install in a hurry .
    Last edited by Stenico; April 24th, 2009 at 12:19 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Been running since Beta here and I haven't had one lockup at all.

Highest uptime would be around a week before reboot for kernel upgrade or just wanting to give the machine a rest for whatever reason.

Restricted drivers, restricted extras and many additional programs and servers.

Stability will vary I guess depending on your hardware. You realise 1. Jaunty has just been released and 2. It's not a LTS (stable) release right?

Kinda irks me the constant comparisons between Linux and Windows on these forums.
    Last edited by nandemonai; April 24th, 2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Linux Mint 8 64 Bit | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.80GHz (OC) | 4GB Kingston RAM | Asus P5Q Delux Motherboard | Asus EN9800GT (NVIDIA) | WD 120GB / WD 720GB SATA2 HDDs

Beans
    Distro

How many, alpha's, betas and RC's has Jaunty been through? And its still very broken on a lot of hardware.

I know its not an LTS, but that doesn't mean UI hard-freezes are acceptable surely?

How hard is it for Canonical to buy a bunch of commodity hardware and run standard tests before making releases? (I bet Dell/HP etc would donate boxes to them!)

Given my experience with Jaunty and other recent releases there is no way I can recommend Ubuntu as a "just works" distro as I used to do at one time.
    Last edited by Stenico; April 24th, 2009 at 01:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Stenico View Post
    How hard is it for Canonical to buy a bunch of commodity hardware and run standard tests before making releases? (I bet Dell/HP etc would donate boxes to them!)
    Not really the way it works. Ubuntu is a community driven project, Canonical merely provides support and advertising. You're talking about majority volunteer work here.

That being said things are tested pretty well. I'm curious as to what kind of hardware you're running on?

If it's 'bleeding edge' you can't really expect full support.

Did you participate in the alpha / beta? Submit bugs? Have you checked the HCL?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/
    http://www.ubuntuhcl.org/
    Linux Mint 8 64 Bit | Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.80GHz (OC) | 4GB Kingston RAM | Asus P5Q Delux Motherboard | Asus EN9800GT (NVIDIA) | WD 120GB / WD 720GB SATA2 HDDs

Beans
    Distro

I'm running a three year old Dell dimension 9200 Intel Core 2 Duo machine with a Nvidia 7900GS with no significant hardware changes or additions.

Intrepid, Freebsd, Vista and Win7 all run on this machine without a hitch.

If you read the forums, these freezes are happening to people on different hardware including Intel, ATI and nVidia graphics cards.

Despite the large and admirable community contribution Ubuntu is very much run by Canonical, with the clear aim of becoming profitable. They need to sort their testing infrastructure out if they want to avoid losing community mindshare on the linux desktop, which is ultimately what will drive them to profibility.
    Last edited by Stenico; April 24th, 2009 at 01:44 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Stenico View Post
    I'm running a three year old Dell dimension 9200 Intel Core 2 Duo machine with a Nvidia 7900GS with no signifcant hardware changes or additions.

Intrepid, Freebsd, Vista and Win7 all run on this machine without a hitch.

If you read the forums, these freezes are happening to people on different hardware including Intel, ATI and nVidia graphics cards.

Despite the large and admirable community contribution Ubuntu is very much run by Canonical, with the clear aim of becoming profitable. They need to sort their testing infrastructure out if they want to avoid losing community mindshare on the linux desktop, which is ultimately what will drive them to profibility.
    Granted. Guess I've just been lucky to some extent. I'm certain though many issues will be fixed provided people keep submitting bug reports.

It ain't perfect but for me at least it's been an enjoyable release.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Issues like these here as well, but had it already with the beta versions of 9.04.

When I try to fire up my NEC LCD22WV as dual screen with the Nvidia-settings manager this happens->>

Using the NVIDIA driver version 180 [recommended] first freezes the system and then auto-reboots the PC.
    With version 173 it works well. <<-

As stable version I use 8.04.. (dual booting) on my HP Pavillion dv6000 laptop. No issues there...(but a different nvidia driver there)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Are those of you who are experiencing freezes using either an Intel video chip or the new Ext4 file system?
    You do not want an invalid magic cookie.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Gforce 8400M GS...Ext3

Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast