Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeze in Jaunty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Freeze in Jaunty

Well, I think it'd be worth a try for those experiencing these issues to upgrade to the latest kernel.
    You do not want an invalid magic cookie.

Beans
    Distro

Here's the supposed fix for this mess: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

If you're running an Intel based video chip, follow it all the way through; if not, then follow the upgrading of the Kernel parts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I have two pc's :
    Amd phenom x3 8450, gigabyte 790gp, 2 HIS radeon hd 4670 in crossfire mode, 4 gb ddr2 1066 memory, running ubuntu 9.04 with ext4 flawlessly.

Intel celeron 2.4ghz , 768 mb ram, nvidia geforce fx 5200 using latest drivers, running xubuntu 9.04 with ext4 amazingly fast.

This issue seems very weird.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

i've been running ubuntu studio 64 bit since alpha on a spare drive with no problems but since installing the release today i've had five or six freezes. my first installation of the release was on a raid0 ext4 drive. i thought it was an ext4 problem so i reinstalled on raid0 ext3 but the problems still happen. i'm using an hp pavilion dv7 laptop with nvidia geforce 8400 graphics card. i haven't installed the restricted video drivers yet.

maybe this is a raid issue. the ubuntu studio jaunty RC has the same kernel as the official release and i never had a problem with the RC version. the only difference that i can see between the two installations on my machine is that my main OS is run with raid1 /boot raid0 / raid0 swap and raid0 /home

can anyone else confirm freezes with raid drive installs?

jeremy boyd

edit: the freezes seem to mostly happen when i'm connecting to a wireless network or when a package manager is running.
    Last edited by jerboyd; April 27th, 2009 at 04:46 PM.

Beans

I have a geforce 7300 and jaunty, and I'm also suffering from random freezes. While the machine does eventually die if I leave it doing nothing except running the screen saver, the freezes do seem to happen more frequently if I'm using network related software (firefox, evolution), and even more so if one of the other computer's in my apartment is using the network heavily at the same time Anyone else noticing a relation between network access and your machine freezing?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jerboyd View Post
    i've been running ubuntu studio 64 bit since alpha on a spare drive with no problems but since installing the release today i've had five or six freezes. my first installation of the release was on a raid0 ext4 drive. i thought it was an ext4 problem so i reinstalled on raid0 ext3 but the problems still happen. i'm using an hp pavilion dv7 laptop with nvidia geforce 8400 graphics card. i haven't installed the restricted video drivers yet.

maybe this is a raid issue. the ubuntu studio jaunty RC has the same kernel as the official release and i never had a problem with the RC version. the only difference that i can see between the two installations on my machine is that my main OS is run with raid1 /boot raid0 / raid0 swap and raid0 /home

can anyone else confirm freezes with raid drive installs?

jeremy boyd

edit: the freezes seem to mostly happen when i'm connecting to a wireless network or when a package manager is running.
    werd! That Alphas and Betas all ran fine and only had one small hiccup. Release hits and it seems to go to h-e-double hockeysticks in a handbasket. Really disappointing.

I am not using raid nor 64 bit, but my experiences seem very similar to yours, except that it's ANY network manager or package management.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

thought i'd pop my jaunty RC disc back in and re-install that instead of the official release and after installing and updating the system i get freezes while the other installation on a different partition is fine. i can't think of what i've done different

jeremy boyd

Beans
    Distro

Have you guys with the freezes tried the Kernel upgrade yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I upgraded an existing install yesterday and had 5 freezes within an hour before I gave up. The same hardware has been running every release since edgy. I was working with GIMP at the time - I haven't had time to test the machine on any other tasks yet. I use nvidia graphics.
    What logs should I be looking at to help shed some light on the problem?

I had also upgraded my laptop (3rd-gen macbook) which seems to be fine...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by codeseer View Post
    Have you guys with the freezes tried the Kernel upgrade yet?
    Will give it a shot this evening and report back.

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast