Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeze in Jaunty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Freeze in Jaunty

Reason I asked is because the release notes for Jaunty have freezes/lockups relating to the use of those.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JauntyJackal...aphics%20cards
    You do not want an invalid magic cookie.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm experiencing this too.
    I installed a fresh jaunty alpha 6 and upgraded through the beta and rc to the Final. But the problem doesn't seem to go aways.

I'm using Dell Inspiron 1525 with an Intel x3100.

Downloading 64bit version now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Stenico View Post
    Reading people's similar experiences, all I can say is that either Canonical's pre-release testing procedures are a joke, or they simply don't care.

I can't help but contrast this experience with my full-time use of Windows 7 *beta* during which I've experienced one serious crash in 3 months.
    Given my experience with Jaunty and other recent releases there is no way I can recommend Ubuntu as a "just works" distro as I used to do at one time.
    That just about sums it up.

Intrepid, Freebsd, Vista and Win7 all run on this machine without a hitch.
    Win98/2K/XP have been running flawlessly on this Machine for Years.

Beans

I though I was just one of the Unlucky Intel video people (i915) well may be they get it fixed sooner rather than later as I'm ready to go back to Intrepid. (wonders why the regression and realizes that there is a complex relationship between the kernel and the drivers and the UI)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

As Stenico says; If you read the forums, these freezes are happening to people on different hardware including Intel, ATI and nVidia graphics cards.

Canonical seems to think that these freezes are related to Intel, that is at least what it looks like by reading bugreports about freezes in Jaunty.

First of all we need a bugreport about a complete freeze happening on different hardware, not just Intel. Is there such a report or shall we create one?

Beans

I'm having the same problems. I did a clean install of 64-bit Jaunty and it froze up on me every 10 minutes or so. I thought it might just be the 64-bit version so I installed the 32-bit version. Same thing. It freezes every 10 minutes or so. I have Nvidia GeForce 7300. I never had any of these issues with Hardy or Intrepid. I will be reverting back, which is too bad as I'm a big fan of Ubuntu and was looking forward to this release. Seems weird that this bug wasn't fixed before the final release.

Beans

I had lockups all the time in hardy and occasionally in intrepid, but jaunty has been going strong for two days (since I installed it).

Beans

Yup same problem with Ubuntu Studio on Pentium D 2.66GHz 1.2Gig of ram, nvidia Geforce 8600 GT. Its a Dell 5150.
    Motherboard does have intel chip set...

Don't seem to have a issue in safe mode at the command
    prompt. Seems the freeze happens when there is a bit of
    network activity usually during a update or web surfing
    in X. I don't have issue updating from just recovery command line
    mode boot..

I want to try a non RT kernel.
    Last edited by lowkey3d; April 25th, 2009 at 07:23 PM.

Beans

Well I got it to hang in recovery mode. I'm now convinced
    this is not Xorg related. But a kernel/network driver issue..

Beans

This sounds an awful lot like what was happening in Hardy for the first few weeks after release. I had to drop back to Gutsy for a month or two until the issue was resolved. I think it eventually turned out to be a kernel issue but for a while people had all sorts of theories about what was causing it - video chipset, Firefox (because Hardy was shipped with Firefox still in beta), a few other guesses.

Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast