Page 11 of 76 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Freeze in Jaunty

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Freeze in Jaunty

Same here random freezes, ext 3 Geforce 7300, Amd 4400+ X2, mostly in FF but once in thunderbird, at first I thought it was a flash issue as it happed while watching Youtube
    but when it happend just surfing FB and watching pics in albums, it does seem to be only when there is a network activity and mostly while watching youtube so maybe a sound problem with pulse ? a friend suggested reinstalling ALSA but since I am such a noob and reading this thread I will wait as there is so many sugestions (getting RC2 kernel, using the intelfix etc.) I do not have as many freezez as some report I can use most things like replying to this thread etc. but netactivity + sound or video often freezes.
    Hope someone figures it out zoon though.

Now it frooze just scrolling this page to see if someone posted since I did (no video or sound)
    Last edited by bearozo; May 1st, 2009 at 05:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by codeseer View Post
    Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    Code:
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Nvidia corporation G72 [GeForce 7300 SE] (reva1)

Beans

Hi guys,

I have an HP Compaq 6820s. I have been running every release since Gutsy Gibbon till Intrepid Ibex. I've tried to install Jaunty on ext4 as it comes after some work in GIMP the system freeze out for 5-10 seconds. this didn't happened in the older release, no sir! I thought is because of the ATI driver and I've installed the ATI driver X.Org from the Add/Remove... and after my restart I couldn't get into the desktop any more.
    What it seams to be my problem, or how can I remove that ATI driver.
    I'm in the process of saving my data from Jaunty and probably waiting till the bugs disappear in this release.

I'm really sorry to say this, but this is the worst release since 5.04 Desktop, actually Intrepid amazed me much, not a thing for Jaunty.
    I don't like what I'm saying!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by sealview View Post
    I'm in the process of saving my data from Jaunty and probably waiting till the bugs disappear in this release.

I'm really sorry to say this, but this is the worst release since 5.04
    I agree, I moved to Intrepid a while ago. Really hope the bugs get some attention soon.

This important and serious bug has not yet been given an importancelevel after nearly a month.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/355155

Beans

Well, I was watching this thread very closely but over the past couple of days I've pretty much tried everything to stablize my 9.04 install. I have installed from scratch at least 10 times and while I think EXT4 has something to do with the error its not the only problem.

Once I removed EXT4 from the equation, my system stopped hanging but I am still seeing random CRC errors when downloading large files with SABNZBD. I have tried downloading the same large files on my 8.10 install with no errors which verifies that this is a problem with 9.04.

I will be reluctantly downgrading my system to 8.10, I wish I could stay with 9.04 but if its not stable I may as well be using M$. I have been using 8.10 as my desktop for some time now and I have had almost no issues at all... I guess I should just stick with what I know works.

My system config is as follows in case anyone is seeing similar problems:

Ubuntu 9.04 Alternate x86
    AMD 3000 64Bit
    1GB DDR
    2x 40 GB seagate IDE configed in raid1 mounted as /
    1x320 GB Seagate mountest as /home
    Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M MB
    Integrated UniChromeTM2 Graphics (no idea what driver, it's mostly going to run headless anyways)
    Last edited by buchan; May 1st, 2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Added HW specs

Beans
    Hidden!

i think i have done 20 fresh installs now of 9.04. i finally gave up

back to 8.10 now.

i've never seen so many complete freezes of the system before in my life.

Beans

I'm not sure if the issues I'm having are the same as what everyone else is seeing, but I figure it's worth mentioning. I had a 32-bit Intrepid installation that was rock solid, and upgraded to Jaunty on release day. I had a ton of different problems, including occasional freezes, and figured I'd go ahead and try a clean install. When I did this I moved to 64-bit Jaunty, since I no longer have any reason to run a 32-bit OS.

While the clean install fixed the majority of my problems, the freezing has remained. I'm using ext3 and have ATI graphics (integrated Radeon HD 3200 on my AMD 780G-based motherboard). My freezes are weird though - the machine only partially locks up. I can still move the mouse cursor, and sometimes I can even interact with window decorations, but I can't do anything in any other processes I have running (Firefox, Audacious, anything else). I've noticed that when I'm listening to music in Audacious and one of these freezes comes on, Audacious stops outputting sound about 5-10 seconds before the rest of the system becomes unresponsive. I've also noticed that if I wait long enough (sometimes 3 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes), the system will come back and be totally normal until the next freeze. During this time when it's frozen though, I can't drop to a terminal with Ctrl-Alt-F(1-6) or do anything else. I can ping my frozen machine from another computer and even SSH into it, but once I'm SSH'd in, I can't run any commands. For example, trying to run top just does nothing - I type top, hit enter, and then top doesn't come up until after the machine is done being frozen.

I've checked dmesg and /var/log/syslog and neither of them are showing anything out of the ordinary. These freezes are happening once every hour or two, and it's getting very frustrating trying to use my machine. Any ideas where I should go from here?

Beans
    Distro

Maybe this will help.

As I've said, I've done a clean install to ext3, and didn't have a freeze for a day. Didn't update anything. Finally, today I installed the "closed" FGLRX ATI driver for my HD2400, and restarted the machine. After 1 hours of gaming, etc, the freeze reappeared.
    I had gkrellm on, so, when it froze, I noticed the following:
    1. I had only Firefox and gkrelln running, Firefox loading a page (from WineHQ)
    2. My first core went on 100% (don't know why, I couldn't open system viewer), but the second core was on 0% (Intel Core 2 Duo). CPU temp was between 65-70C, normally it's 45-50.
    3. The screen didn't stop responding, gkrell updated, however, all inputs were broken, so the windows. Mouse moved, but didn't seem to notice where (the buttons didn't highlight)
    4. altgr+printscr+reisub restarted the machine. No ctrl+alt+backspace, nor ctrl+alt+del worked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I upgraded my Ubuntu Studio to the 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope and now everything runs slower and freezes occasionally (when i try to open programs such as open office or audacity).

I'm using ATI/AMD propriety FGLRX graphics driver.

I'm not very educated in computer technologies. If anyone has an idea about what can solve this problem, please let me know. I'm having a difficult time using the computer. My e-mail is giraffe@riseup.net
    Thanks

Beans

I've 2 friends having the freeze issue. Configuration varies from ATI to nVidia graphic cards (both about 1 y.o.) and using Core2 proc. One have Compiz running, the other doesn't. Both are updated systems from 8.10, using ext3.

Both are experiencing "deep" freeses : display, input, sound... only way to get out is to do a hard reboot.

They happen soon after the system has booted (like 5min), or way later (like 4-5 hours), under many different conditions (working, surfing the web, listening to music, etc..).

I can't see a common action that triggered the freeze, so I'm guessing it'll be kinda hard to find out what the problem is
    Last edited by Daoro; May 2nd, 2009 at 11:32 AM.

Page 11 of 76 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast