Return (B4ED)
    }
    Return (0x00) <=== ADD THIS LINE
    }

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: 9.04 Still over heats.

OK, I added "Return (0x00)" where you indicated, recompiled, and voilà, only the 5 WMCA-F 1087 warnings left.

??, isn't "Return (0x00)" simply reporting a null to bypass the needed nfo so the syntax meets criteria? That's what I've reading about for hours trying to avoid. I understand the desire to have a clean dsdt but if you report nulls to clean house aren't you kind of doing what the OEM and m$ started? Certainly I'm not carping @ you or the many others I'm reading and learning from on this, but I'm certain you see my point. If nulls are what I can accomplish right now, I can accept it, but to have hardware I'm not using correctly/at all will always leave a bad taste. (Possibly even worse than nortel static routing tables under Novell 3). The lack of white papers from phoenix would have been intolerable 10 years ago, and www.acpi.info... "ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) is an open industry specification co-developed by Hewlett-Packard, Intel, Microsoft, Phoenix, and Toshiba." Thats as big a laugh as unsigned driver restrictions.
    I'll keep hacking away at it, Thanks again for your help! Talk to you soon prolly, lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In this case the entry already has 3 valid return values, but did not know what to do if no value was found. We just finished the equation. If the method had no valid return values, and you add Return (0x00), then you would just shut the error up without fixing anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This is not a Ubuntu problem , It's either hardware or censoring software within the CMOS settings which can be controlled by Most BIOS manufactured today which would be used to correct this issue similar to overclocking except in reverse in this case, but this certainly is not an OS problem any attempt to blame it on an OS is misinformation or malformed assumptions.
    "The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."
    -Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sx66gns View Post
    This is not a Ubuntu problem , It's either hardware or censoring software within the CMOS settings which can be controlled by Most BIOS manufactured today which would be used to correct this issue similar to overclocking except in reverse in this case, but this certainly is not an OS problem any attempt to blame it on an OS is misinformation or malformed assumptions.

Certainly, this whole discussion and issue isnt OS related at all, (except possibly for m$ throwing their weight around to try to remain a viable product by sabotaging other platforms). I fully realize this is a trend where m$ is influencing hardware vendors to use one set of hardware instructions for m$ systems and a different set of instruction traps for linux, (which is what I was on about in the post above) I did modify the linux trap to respond with the m$ trap for xpsp2 instead of the linux trap. My system fans are coming on now and system temps dropped 3-5C to 48-51C, under load, over the rest of this afternoon, even with the ambient @ 73F instead of 66F like it was last night.

I never meant to intimate it as a linux issue. In fact, if it wasnt for linux, I would never have learned about the issue at all. To be honest, I believe this has been an issue in many of the systems I built or dealt with for the last 10 years or so. I would dearly love to find an old asus sp97-v mmotherboard and disassemble its dsdt file. This whole issue reminds me of the early winmodem days. That was the same m$ overgrasping agenda that this appears to be(imo). Actually, it isnt even a windows issue, this is m$ wanting oems to use m$ tools to turn out poorly written dsdt tables with compiling errors.
    Stock oob, my dsdt had 1 error-7 warnings-1015 optimizations. Wouldnt you call that poor ? I'm not a programmer by any means, and with GTA67s tiny tutorial I came up with this. And I dont know what Im doing. There isnt (imo) excuse to turn out code like this on a professional level that millions of consumers will be defrauded by. (Since my laptop box and manual says "This device complies with ACPI v 3.0 standard" I believe that selling me a product with errors that disable or cause poor performance or hardware damage due to poor dsdt design constitues fraud).

My thanks again to GTA for his help and turtorials.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    In this case the entry already has 3 valid return values, but did not know what to do if no value was found. We just finished the equation. If the method had no valid return values, and you add Return (0x00), then you would just shut the error up without fixing anything.
    Ah. I see it now. This is a good bit to pick up all at once, heh. For once im having fun with computers again instead of just dredging along. Thanks

Beans

power management = OS related.

windows runs stone cold and unfortunately in ubuntu it heats up! In windows, intel drivers even manage the temperatures, so that the fan stops

I have a core 2 duo penryn, should I try undervolting it? Any suggestions?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345