Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: VPN - connects to VPN, no internet after connection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: VPN - connects to VPN, no internet after connection

noSelf, thanks, worked like a charm. You're right, the 9.04 upgrade probably wiped out custom settings which I forgot how to redo.

Beans

Talking Re: VPN - connects to VPN, no internet after connection

Thanks NoSelf - that just saved my life (sanity - I can now browse the internet AND do crap from work on my Ubuntu Laptop) Cheers!

Beans

I love these forums! I was fighting with this problem several days ago, and the proposal in here worked!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi

What are the search domains exactly? I have a dns ip but dont really get what I should be putting in the search domains field.

Also. the "Use this connection only for resources on its network" tick box isnt there ! I'm on ibex btw as I cant use jaunty becuase of its rubbish support for Intel video cards.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by noSelf View Post
    For what it's worth, after upgrading from Intrepid to Jaunty with an existing VPN connection configuration, i suddenly had the problem described in the initial message on this thread - i could connect to the VPN fine, but couldn't reach anything other than resources on the LAN i vpn'ed into - no internet. Also, because /etc/resolv.conf is auto-generated, i couldn't hack around in there.

i simply wanted to use the vpn connection for resources on the remote net, and use my "real" connection for everything else (my LAN and internet). After searching & poking i did this via Network Manager:

- select "Configure VPN"
    - edit the connection
    - select IPv4 Settings tab
    - for "Method", choose "Automativ (VPN) addresses only"
    - now that it's editable, enter the addresses for the DNS Servers on the remote network
    - now that it too is editable, enter the Search Domains for the remote network
    - click "Routes"
    - check the box labeled "Use this connection only for resources on its network"
    - click OK, then Apply

This fixed it for me - no need to add specific routes. Really the only problem with the Jaunty in-place upgrade.

Beans

Hi,

I'm too new to Ubuntu ( well new again used it with Feisty, and had no trouble back then)
    Now I can't set up a vpn and use internet at the same time.

For some reason when I have the 'use this connection only for resources on its network" activated I can't reach the host , however network manager says i'm connected.
    I can fill in anything from routes, DNS servers,.... internet works but I can't reach the needed app or even ping the server.
    When I uncheck that box and leave everything else the same I can reach the app and ping the server, but my internet doesn't work.
    What am I doing wrong here?

thx for the help

Beans

I upgraded from Intrepid to Jaunty, and I have the same problem on my home PC as described by noSelf. My solution is similar to noSelf, except that I left the Method as "Automatic (VPN)". Thus, the only difference for me from Intrepid was to check "Use this connection only for resources on its network".

After that, I was able to surf the Internet while connected to my work VPN server. In fact, Internet surfing (specifically, the http address resolution) while on VPN seemed snappier than back in Intrepid. It was as snappy as though I was not on VPN.

HOWEVER, the new problem is that I am unable to resolve my work PC's name anymore. Here's a summary of my test:

"Use this connection only for resources on its network" is unchecked:
    - nslookup my_work_pc (this took a few moments, but it correctly returned my work pc's IP)
    - ping my.work.pc.IP (this worked correctly)
    - ping 74.125.127.99 (this is google's IP address. this FAILED)

"Use this connection only for resources on its network" is checked:
    - nslookup my_work_pc (this FAILED. ** server can't find my_work_pc)
    - ping my.work.pc.IP (this worked correctly)
    - ping 74.125.127.99 (this worked correctly)

While I can work around the problem by using my work pc's IP instead of its name, the problem still exists. Anyone got any ideas?

Beans

i encountered the same issue - couldn't connect to anything EXCEPT the VPN's local resources when "Use this connection only for resources on its network" is unchecked - couldn't get to the internet at all.

i haven't pursued it further, but need to. As you noticed, you can't resolve hostnames on the VPN's lan. i added a few well-known hosts to my /etc/hosts file, and that helps with getting to some remote resources when programming, but i can't mount Windows shares via SMB from Nautilus, which reduces the VPN's utility substantially.

Seems to be a DNS issue - i think in pre-Jaunty, the VPN automatically used the remote network's DNS for all routing - so my internet trafffic was going through the VPN, not my DSL connection. Probably easy to figure out, i just haven't encountered enough pain to do it yet.

Beans

I have filed bug 396387 about this problem.

Beans

I guess i have the same problem. My university uses vpn to reach the closed part of the library. Cisco VPN. It used to work nice with network-manager-vpnc but for some reason not anymore. Not sure if it was upgrading to Jaunty that caused it... I solved it with

sudo apt-get install resolvconf

suggested in this blog post: http://www.mattwoodward.com/blog/ind...11F9FFC912E1E2

I found it after some googling. It solves the problem, but i am not sure this is a good solution.

Beans

I think I finally figured out the problem. Somehow, /etc/resolv.conf turned out to be a symlink to /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf. If you delete the symlink and reboot, a new resolv.conf text file is generated. The library managing this new text file correctly puts the VPN's DNS servers above the ISP DNS servers.

Here's the entire solution that worked for me:

1. System -> Preferences -> Network Connections -> VPN tab -> Edit (my VPN connection) -> IPv4 Settings tab -> Routes
    Make sure "Use this connection only for resources on its network" is checked.
    2. Determine if resolv.conf is a symlink. If it is NOT a symlink, then the problem may be something else.
    file /etc/resolv.conf
    3. If it is a symlink to `/etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf', rename it to something else:
    sudo mv /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.symlink
    4. Reboot.
    5. Test and see if you can surf the Internet and connect to your VPN PCs.
    6. If test was successful, you can delete /etc/resolv.conf.symlink:
    sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf.symlink

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast