Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deleting Ubuntu then reinstall

Beans

Deleting Ubuntu then reinstall. + Windows not starting!!!

Hey guys, I was wondering how to uninstall ubuntu. I know I can install something over that partition, I was just wondering whether there was any way to delete ubuntu and it's partition on the drive?

Something happened to my Ubuntu 8.10 when I tried upgrading to 9.04 so now it does not start up, I even went into the recovery for Ubuntu and that did nothing so I will try to install Ubuntu 9.04 over that partition. If that does not work I want to delete the partition and Ubuntu.

Any suggestions?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Alright, so now I have deleted the ubuntu partition and am left with 26.80GB Unallocated. The thing is, now windows will not start and the PC says error 22 when it is trying to find the grub menu or something.
    Last edited by RandomP; April 24th, 2009 at 01:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Deleting Ubuntu then reinstall

If you want to "delete" it, just choose the option to format the partition(s) during the installation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I know it takes very little time to reinstall, but why not describe your problem in a little more detail, there is probably someone online right now that can tell you how to repair the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Do you have another OS installed on other partitions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by RandomP View Post
    Hey guys, I was wondering how to uninstall ubuntu. I know I can install something over that partition, I was just wondering whether there was any way to delete ubuntu and it's partition on the drive?

Something happened to my Ubuntu 8.10 when I tried upgrading to 9.04 so now it does not start up, I even went into the recovery for Ubuntu and that did nothing so I will try to install Ubuntu 9.04 over that partition. If that does not work I want to delete the partition and Ubuntu.

Any suggestions?
    Boot off the liveCD and run System/Administration/Partiton Editor. That will start up gparted. From that you can nuke any partitions on your hard disk(s). As a matter of interest, when you say 9.04 wouldn't start, can you tell us any symptoms? Quite often these problems are caused by graphics driver issues.

Beans

Well, after it said the update was finished it asked me to restart the PC. I did. When it came to choosing which os to start with, I noticed that the kernel was still named 8.10 and the recovery had that too. I thought that maybe it would change after my first run of 9.04. Well, so I clicked it. Regular black screen, that usually happened when I started it up, then nothing, the monitor said "No input signal, going into sleep mode." I was like ok, this happens when I start up with ubuntu, but it only lasts a a few seconds. This time though the screen was off for a good 5 minutes without anything happening. So I restarted the PC, same thing. Then I went into recovery and tried the fix option. Again nothing. So now I want to either install ubuntu again if that works, or just get rid of it if I cannot.

Right now I am running Windows XP which is on the main partition. Ubuntu was on a smaller partition on this drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by RandomP View Post
    Well, after it said the update was finished it asked me to restart the PC. I did. When it came to choosing which os to start with, I noticed that the kernel was still named 8.10 and the recovery had that too. I thought that maybe it would change after my first run of 9.04. Well, so I clicked it. Regular black screen, that usually happened when I started it up, then nothing, the monitor said "No input signal, going into sleep mode." I was like ok, this happens when I start up with ubuntu, but it only lasts a a few seconds. This time though the screen was off for a good 5 minutes without anything happening. So I restarted the PC, same thing. Then I went into recovery and tried the fix option. Again nothing. So now I want to either install ubuntu again if that works, or just get rid of it if I cannot.

Right now I am running Windows XP which is on the main partition. Ubuntu was on a smaller partition on this drive.
    It sounds like the update failed to update the grub menu.lst. If that is the only problem, you might be able to fix that manually by mounting the hard disk file system from the live CD and editing the menu.lst file. Still it would be safer to reinstall off the LiveCD as other things might have gone wrong.

Beans

I booted the old 8.1 ubuntu CD I had and ran Gparted. Now that space which ubuntu was on is now unallocated. That unallocated space is 26.80GB.

Also, now for some reason windows does not start when I restart the PC so now I have to run the live CD to get online. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It sounds like you deleted the information in grub needed to direct you back to windows. I don't use windows any longer but I think you use the windows install disk and "fixmbr". Someone here will know. Give them a couple of minutes.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    It sounds like you deleted the information in grub needed to direct you back to windows. I don't use windows any longer but I think you use the windows install disk and "fixmbr". Someone here will know. Give them a couple of minutes.
    I still have the windows recovery partition if I use recovery from the bios. I also have recovery CD's, but since this PC came with windows pre-installed, I do not have the Windows installation CD.

Also, if I get windows to work again, will the unallocated space go back to the old partition or will I have to merge the partitions?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast