Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: cannot shutdown / reboot laptop on 9.04

Beans

Re: cannot shutdown / reboot laptop on 9.04

i've solved shutdown problem on my asus f5gl (lcd screen turned to black after shutdown and then it started to change colours from black to white) but now i've got another...notebook turns always on immediately after shutdown like reboot...i can use command to shutdown in terminal but always the same..whats the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hi i just installed ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop(toshiba u405d-s2874) and I cant shutdown, when I try to shutdown the computer restarts,
    is there a way to fix it?
    thx

Beans

hi i just installed ubuntu 9.04 on my laptop(dell XPS M1330) and I cant shutdown,
    I have tried all of the tips previously in this thread without any success. Judging from the thread there are still several people suffering from this. ANYTHING???

The screen goes blank and the fan keeps running. No input gives any responce. Really easy to get new ideas when the feedback is zero.

Help a novice to regain trust for Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I had a dabble with Karmic Koala, which screwed my system. I've been forced to reinstall and I'm now running with kernel 2.6.28-15-generic. My system now shuts down fine. I do have the "noapic" option in my grub menu.lst (see below). My laptop hangs on boot without this.

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-15-generic
    uuid bd76da27-918b-41d7-b415-9840b5985373
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic root=UUID=bd76da27-918b-41d7-b415-9840b5985373 ro noapic quiet splash vga=792
    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-15-generic
    quiet

Hope this helps someone.

(Running Jaunty on Toshiba Satellite A30 laptop)

Beans

I had the same problem on my desktop. I went to system>administration>authorizations
    and granted permission to: all the WOL and powermanagement. That seemed to do it. Omn my laptop I have to shut down the network eth0 and then it will shutdown, otherwise blinking and hanging.

My gosh I can't believe what a f...up and nightmare ubuntu had become; think I might go back to 8.04 LTS and refrain from updating and video driver installs. But I'm stubborn and rather find a solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by l-x-l View Post
    I got a work around from this site & it works for me:

Workaround
    I had the same problem on my Vaio VGN-C240e but I followed this workaround and now everything seems to be fine.

Thanks for the tip l-x-l!

Beans

Smile Re: cannot shutdown / reboot laptop on 9.04

I had also some problems with starting up and shutting down my toshiba notebook and ubuntu 10.04. acpi problem at startup and shutting down problem.. I had to press the power button to shut it down properly. Now I installed 11.04 and these two problems have gone completely.. So try the new Ubuntu..Thanks for the contributors...

Beans

I have no problem with shutting down the computer. The problem I have is with hibernation, suspension, and restart. All of those functions do work, but once the computer restarts I have either a blank screen, or a light green screen with multiple vertical white streaks.

I am using ubuntu 10.10 on a Toshiba Portege M200. Video card info is:

nooniensoong97@nooniensoong97-PORTEGE-M200:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV34M [GeForce FX Go5200 32M/64M] (rev a1)

At this time I am not using the NVIDIA accelerated graphics card driver version 173, or 96.

Is there any other info you need from me?
    Conceive, Believe, and Achieve

Beans

I have the same problem on HP compaq 8710p in ubuntu 11.04 (natty). System sometimes freezes during shutdown or reboot.
    My solution was to remove gnome-power-manager package. I have no information about battery status but I can reboot any time.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678