Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: cannot shutdown / reboot laptop on 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: cannot shutdown / reboot laptop on 9.04

Nice job hesapotman! And thanks for that file ownership reminder Dalgaim, I might have overlooked it as my brain is a bit fried from tracking down the fix to this bug.

Charles, I tacked on to bug report #302452 with my details too. As I posted before, this was a bug back in 2004-2005 that appears to have crept into the kernel again.

I updated the system changelog to reflect the workaround, so I can back them out and test any kernel fixes that are forthcoming.
    The future will soon be a thing of the past.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

between 8.10 and 9.04, 8.10 seems to be the only ubuntu flavor that has caused me no hickups...

yesterday evening i tried installing 9.04 for a THIRD time on my system. so now i have tried 2 fresh installs from disc and one smart upgrade via update manager.

after the first install, i kept getting fsck checks during shutdown, with a whole bunch of action items that needed input. i decided to install with ext4.

after the second install, i found that i could not use nvidia's 177 driver because it was not listed, using 180 would not permit my screen to wake up after suspend, which i use most of the time....

after the third install, i tried using nvidia's 173 driver, which caused me all kinds of resolution issues and i could not switch back to 180....

thanks to programs like clonezilla, i got my 8.10 install back up and it's where i will stay for a while.

9.04 is very buggy, imo...
    HP Envy 17
    ubuntu 10.10 kernel 2.6.37
    windows 7

Beans

Oh, oh, oh, as I wrote in the post before this one, I tought the solution worked, but it doesn't!

Just like marcio_mi I get this:

/etc/init.d/rc: 390: /etc/rc0.d/S16killwlan: Permission denied

* Asking all remaining processes to terminate... [OK]
    * Killing all remaining processes... [fail]
    * Deconfiguring network interfaces... [OK]
    * Unmounting temporary filesystems... [OK]
    * Deactivating swap... [OK]
    * Unmounting local filesystem.... [OK]
    mount: / is busy
    * Will now halt
    So I have to find another solution...

Update: I hadn't seen the chmod post from Dalgaim, so I did that now, and I will test that now.
    Last edited by Tralapo; May 4th, 2009 at 08:52 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DelinquentSaint View Post
    Same problem on Dell XPS M1330. Shutdown logs out and it just forgets to turn the power off?! If left on for a while the screen gets lines across it. I did not have this problem in 8.10 and it occurred immediately after upgrading to Jaunty. Btw... Ctrl-Alt-F7 did nothing. I would appreciate any help.
    got an m1330 as well ... mine is shutting down kinda well, but i am also getting these lines across the screen.

as i got further issues i opened another thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1145448
    someone facing these problems as well ?

Beans

I found out, that for me the shutdown works as long as i shut down via gui. as soon as i use "shutdown now" the laptop gets stuck at shut down.

the graphic errors doesnt occur as soon as i remove the properity driver, but then the hibernate doesnt work anymore.

the wlan device doesnt solve anything for me at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi,
    as yo remember, the "killwlan" script didn't work well for me, as my system hangs up when I do modprobe -r iwl3945.
    I'm usin wicd as network manager, and I noticed that simply unconnecting from the wifi network before shutdown, the system turn off correctly.
    asd, simple and fast workaround ^^

bye

Beans

I'm running jaunty 64bit on an HP 6710s and when I shut it down it hangs on a black screen with a white cursor blinking. I've noticed that if i push the button to turn off the wifi connection, the pc shuts down correctly. I have both installed acpi and apm. Has anyone an idea why this happens? With hardy and intrepid i've never had this issue.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I had the same prob till today, and I solved it by adding acpi=force to my menu.ls on /boot/grub

But I still have my pc hanged when I do a reboot order.

Beans

Hi

I'm seeing the same problem, but modprobe -r iwl3945 results in a kernel panic. How can I generate a list of loaded modules to check which one I should be targeting? I thought that 3945 was the right one for me...

Cheers
    Charlie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I too am having the laptop will not shut down problem with the blinking cursor. I am going to wait for a fortnight to see if there is an update fix, if there is not I am going back to a clonzilla image of intrepid I took just before upgrading. Jaunty seems to me to be buggy(not just shutdown) and slower than Intrepid.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast