Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Amarok Secession Movement.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Angry The Amarok Secession Movement.

So I've just upgraded to Jaunty and to my absolute shock, awe, and abject horror, it would seem that someone has coded a clickable puddle of vomit and named it Amarok 2.

While I imagine that there are some out there who enjoy the overhaul, my guess is that there are plenty more out there who're about as devastated as I am. Amarok 1.4x was one of the coolest things the Linux desktop world had going for it and Amarok 2... not so much.

My question is for all, but especially Gnome users: if you've jumped ship from Amarok, either now or before 2.x, what do you use now and how do you like it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: The Amarok Secession Movement.

Quote Originally Posted by islandis View Post
    So I've just upgraded to Jaunty and to my absolute shock, awe, and abject horror, it would seem that someone has coded a clickable puddle of vomit and named it Amarok 2.

While I imagine that there are some out there who enjoy the overhaul, my guess is that there are plenty more out there who're about as devastated as I am. Amarok 1.4x was one of the coolest things the Linux desktop world had going for it and Amarok 2... not so much.

My question is for all, but especially Gnome users: if you've jumped ship from Amarok, either now or before 2.x, what do you use now and how do you like it?
    I agree, I now use Banshee

Beans

Amarok in Gnome is rubbish but in Kde is great

Beans

I'm still using Amarok 1.4 in KDE.

Check out Bogdan's PPA for amarok 1.4 packages for jaunty

edit: it may be that he replaced them with amarok 2 >.<

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i jumped ship back when it was still amarok 1.4. no reason, as i liked it. i just wanted a program that would load faster!

so: i looked at listen. nice, but a little basic. did everything i wanted except, when listening to a randomised playlist there was no way of knowing what had already played. not crippling issue, but its one i quite like.

so i moved on.

i tried songbird, which is nice but doesnt rip cds yet, so no to that too.

so, now i use audacious (a fork of xmms). i used to use winamp back in the day, so im quite happy with this. i can assemble a playlist, randomise it and then it plays through the shuffled list in order, so i can see what has previously played. it also supports mu media hotkeys (through sometimes i have to disable - reenable the plug in for that), so im happy. it does not support a media library though, but half my music isnt on my laptop anyway, and i never used media libraries anyway. i like to assemble playlists from scratch each time.
    'I know lifes a bummer baby, But thats got precious little to do with me' - Monster Magnet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Rhythmbox plays all the Audio Formats I have, thus have little use for Amarok.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In Gnome I've fooled around with Rythmbox or Banshee.

I haven't spent enough time with Amarok to learn the differences and setting it up. When I did fool around with Amarok, it was pre-2.0 anyway.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!

MPD is king.
    Want me to punchisize your face, For free??

Beans

Amarok 2 isn't a complete abortion of a music player, but it's staggering how inferior it is to its older self. Hopefully it's just symptoms of KDE4-itis (given complete overhaul, is utter garbage, but is slowly clawing its way back up to snuff)

If it were some other name it'd be ok, but people go in expecting a grand successor for their beloved 1.4 and find instead a polished turd.

When I was on KDE4 I found myself using JuK as my main player, it's a very robust little piece of programming and I don't see anywhere near enough people giving it its dues. Back on GNOME, Rhythmbox is king.
    La Dânse Macabre.

~ sandandmercury.net | deviantART profile ~

Beans

Banshee (the new one) is similar to Amarok. I like how it has full featured tag editing, and Ipod support. I believe the reason it is not used in Ubuntu by default is too many dependencies.

Amarok2 is fairly cool because it seems more speedy, and has great support for Jamendo, which I like. The problems with it are the fact that it's interface is very cramped looking, and that I cannot get fading in between tracks to work all the time.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast