Thread: two different error message when trying to upgrade

Beans

two different error message when trying to upgrade

So, I wanted to upgrade to 9.04 but I hadn't yet upgraded to 8.10 from 8.04 due to this error message:

Not enough free disk space

The upgrade aborts now. The upgrade needs a total of 113M free space on disk '/boot'. Please free at least an additional 77.7M of disk space on '/boot'. Empty your trash and remove temporary packages of former installations using 'sudo apt-get clean'.

I've tried running apt-get clean, but to no avail. I know this has been a common problem already posted on. But I've not really found a posting that's been very helpful in giving me instructions I can understand. I'm not very savvy on ubuntu.

While trying to upgrade today, I've gotten a mix of the former error message and this one:

An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade.

This can be caused by:
    * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
    * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
    * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu

If none of this applies, then please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bugreport.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Beans

Re: two different error message when trying to upgrade

bump

Beans

bump

Seriously, even a link to another posting would be helpful. I'd really appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

On the first error, could you paste the output of the command df?
    For the second one I am not sure on.
    Last edited by MDSmith2; April 23rd, 2009 at 09:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

You might need to trim your installed applications a little to get some extra space in your root folder. Or if you have everything in the same partition, try deleting some extra stuff you have in /home. Usually everyone has a little they can get rid of.

For the other one, do you have any extra repos? Like maybe Wine or PPAs? If so, go into /etc/apt/sources.list and comment them out (put a # in front of them) to make APT not see them. After upgrading, you can either take that out, or with things like Wine that change repos for disto-upgrades, fix them to what they should be. I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

Beans

Thanks so much for your replies. I'll be sure to get back to you later tonight when I'm able to follow all of your instructions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaRL View Post
    You might need to trim your installed applications a little to get some extra space in your root folder. Or if you have everything in the same partition, try deleting some extra stuff you have in /home. Usually everyone has a little they can get rid of.

For the other one, do you have any extra repos? Like maybe Wine or PPAs? If so, go into /etc/apt/sources.list and comment them out (put a # in front of them) to make APT not see them. After upgrading, you can either take that out, or with things like Wine that change repos for disto-upgrades, fix them to what they should be. I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

Solved!

I cut down the repositories to just the canonical-supported and community-maintained software.

I also cleared out a lot of my old kernels, which took care of the /boot space issue.

It's amazing how EASY it was, I just needed the right instruction.

Thanks for all your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Glad everything worked out man.