Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firefox-3.5 segmentation fault (core dumped)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

firefox-3.5 segmentation fault (core dumped)

I have been unable to start firefox-3.5 (under jaunty, obviously) since 3.1 when I ambitiously tried to install colorzilla (some obscure extension).

I have tried quite a number of things on multiple occasions, including purging the package w/ apt, and deleting every file on the filesystem that looked even slightly related to it manually (using find).

Here is a bug report I filed with no response from devs https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....5/+bug/353881
    this report contains a number of debugging things I preformed without success.

Hopefully I'm not the only one with this problem -- I cannot run firefox-3.5 under any circumstance at this point. Anyone have any suggestions?

Code:
    steve@dickens:~$ uname -a
    Linux dickens 2.6.28-11-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Fri Apr 17 01:58:03 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Beans

Re: firefox-3.5 segmentation fault (core dumped)

It is not officialy released as a beta version. 3.5 beta 4 will be released before end of this month. I think Firefox 3.5 will be released in june, or even in september. Not before.
    Only knowledge will set you free.
    Ubuntu user #3088
    Using Linux-only PC powered since december 2004, Ubuntu user since june 2006.
    Acer Laptop 5520g / Ubuntu 9.04 - AMD64.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have the same problem on my desktop: if i purge the profile in ~/.mozilla/firefox-3.5 it will recreate it and then a segfault will follow anyway: instead it's running fine on my notebook.

Beans

Yes same problem here with firefox 3.5 beta and the nightly builds. I also tried thunderbird 3.0 beta experience the same issue. For thunderbird 3, I used the ppa at:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-mozi...ily/ppa/ubuntu

with not luck.

Beans
    Distro

really no one else with this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am having similar problem on Intrepid. However, mine goes even further. I have seg faults for the following.
    firefox-3.5
    firefox-3.6
    songbird (current version in repository)

Beans
    Distro

Sorry to bump the thread again but i'm still scratching my head with it: the problem has been confirmed (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s....5/+bug/353881) by others, hope to find away around it.

Beans
    Distro

I got it running, the Launchpad is offline at the moment so i'll post here how to do it, hope it can help you as well.
    It seems xulrunner-1.9.1b5pre is not being used (at least in my case) thus causing some problems (look at your kernel.log) in the ld-2.9.so loader.
    I'm simply forcing xulrunner-1.9.1b5pre to load firefox by specifying full paths, so i just created a new Launcher on the desktop with this command:

Code:
    /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1b5pre/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox-3.5b5pre/firefox-3.5
    It work nicely, but i'm going to figure out how to handle updates since i think the command will need to be updated whenever xulrunner version increments, in the meantime i can test it out its new features
    Last edited by manuelb; April 29th, 2009 at 03:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This did not allow me to run firefox-3.6 or firefox-3.5

Code:
    uname -a
    Linux erichs 2.6.27-11-generic #1 SMP Wed Apr 1 20:53:41 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Last edited by lvleph; April 29th, 2009 at 05:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: firefox-3.5 segmentation fault (core dumped)

Quote Originally Posted by manuelb View Post
    Code:
    /usr/lib/xulrunner-1.9.1b5pre/run-mozilla.sh /usr/lib/firefox-3.5b5pre/firefox-3.5
    It work nicely, but i'm going to figure out how to handle updates since i think the command will need to be updated whenever xulrunner version increments, in the meantime i can test it out its new features
    It works. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast