Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Installing Neverwinter Nights Platinum

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Installing Neverwinter Nights Platinum and Diamond Edition now with Movies

i have tried what you suggested but it stalls at step 5 for me. it tells me that permission is denied and that the directory does not exist. i created the directory and looked at the permissions and it still does not work. help me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HOWTO: Installing Neverwinter Nights Platinum

In the event this helps anyone...

I have recently loaded Ubuntu 8.10 onto a Sony Vaio as a dual boot with Vista. I have to have nwn loaded. I always use this script by Leech. Its a life saver. However, I always have issues related to either the system or the version of Ubuntu I am using. I had the similar issues as described in the last few posts.

Could not install the script...

Could not get the game to start...

Once the game started, the menus would blank out or become distorted...

The first issue Could not install the script was fixed by changing the shell command from dash to bash. Dash has permission issues on my system. Don't know why but switching to bash lets me install programs thru shells. I've noticed this with several other install scripts which is why I am documenting this here. Just remember when running the command...

sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash

ANSWER NO This changes the shell to bash.

The second issue Could not get the game to start was fixed by playing with the nwn file in GEDIT. My file looks as follows...

#!/bin/sh

# This script runs Neverwinter Nights from the current directory

cd /home/brigadoon/nwn
    export SDL_MOUSE_RELATIVE=0
    export SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0

# If you do not wish to use the SDL library included in the package, remove
    # ./lib from LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=:./miles:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    # export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=./lib:./miles:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
    # export LD_PRELOAD=./nwmovies.so
    ./nwmain $@

As you can see in my script above I don't bother with the movies. Nice to have but I want to move into game play fast. I can toggle them on when I need them.

The third issue Once the game started, the menus would blank out or become distorted was a result of a few items.

The first was that the linux client didn't load. I believe it was a permissions issue at this point. This is a Ubuntu 8.10 recurring issue for me. I didn't have shell permission issues in earlier versions. The clients were in the directory already but didn't load. I had to load them manually.

The second was installing the patches. They were in the directory but didn't load. I manually installed them moving the patch to my nwn folder and running the command tar -xzf English_linuxclient169_xp2.tar.gz to extract the data. When running the script I tried loading the 167 patch without any luck. I manually loaded in the 169.

The third step was to change the folder and file permissions in my nwn game folder. I typed in sudo chown -R brigadoon.brigadoon nwn in my home folder location.

The fourth was to run the fixinstall script in the nwn game folder. I did have to change the file properties to make the fixinstall an executable.

The fifth step was to repeat the third step again.

With the exception of the fifth step the same thing would happen after each step. The game would start, text would appear, menus would go blank and then the graphics would get distorted. It seems that after installing or changing anything in the nwn game folder I have to reset permissions.

Prior to re-setting permissions running the game through a terminal window worked for me as well. The trick was to start the game using the sudo command. In a terminal window change directory to the Neverwinter Nights folder. Then type sudo ./nwn to start the game.

Good script, good game, good operating system. Ubuntu beats Vista any day.
    Last edited by brigadoon; April 24th, 2009 at 01:38 AM.
    Don't spend your time thinking of the problem. Spend your time thinking of the solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: HOWTO: Installing Neverwinter Nights Platinum and Diamond Edition now with Movies

Quote Originally Posted by brendanisevil View Post
    i have tried what you suggested but it stalls at step 5 for me. it tells me that permission is denied and that the directory does not exist. i created the directory and looked at the permissions and it still does not work. help me?
    In my post just previous to this one I let the script make the nwn folder. I had the same issue as you did with permission issues. My roundabout solution got me through it and I'm up and running.
    Don't spend your time thinking of the problem. Spend your time thinking of the solution.

Hi. I just used the script on a clean installation of 9.04 and ran into no problems. I have the Medibuntu repositories enabled and the ubuntu-restricted packages installed.

Everything works with no adjustments on my part, after installing to my home directory. I even gave the script the 169 as the version number and it downloaded it and applied it automatically.

Thanks once again for this.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Ok....

the install worked like a dream but it crashes when i want to start a new game and i have no writing on the buttoons in the game menu.. help me please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by brendanisevil View Post
    Ok....

the install worked like a dream but it crashes when i want to start a new game and i have no writing on the buttoons in the game menu.. help me please
    Did you run ./fixinstall in the terminal?

Beans

yes i did and i still have the same problem

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hi. I've only been using Ubuntu for about a week, and I'm having trouble setting nwn up. I'm running 9.04, and I followed the instructions above.

Everything seems to work fine until I go to "New Game" on the main menu. Instead of loading it gives me a message that says "pre_campaign: Gui layout file not found."

Can anyone please tell me what I may have missed?
    Last edited by tcpage; May 16th, 2009 at 09:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a slight problem. my NWN discs were damaged, and the only solution I had was iso from platinum (I think it was platinum at least) its 5 isos.

Anyway when I run the script I try to give it the 'drive' I mount my isos to (/mnt/disk) but it does not work, when I enter that it gives me an error saying invalid drive

Any work around or am I stuck trying to track down a nwn dvd in iraq?

Beans

So I re-installed the game and manually installed the 169 patch instead of the 166/167 patch i was trying to use before. Followed everything that Brig suggested and now the game works spectacularly. Thanks for all the help. You guys rock!!

Page 43 of 47 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast