Thread: Stable or latest Ubuntu OS for games

Beans

Stable or latest Ubuntu OS for games

I haven recently installed Ubuntu stable version and I wanted to know that for playing games is it best to use the stable version or the latest version of the OS? I just thought it would be best to use stable but maybe for games it would be better to use the latest. I wanted the best OS that would play and get great FPS and that will load games fast or close to Windows OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Stable or latest Ubuntu OS for games

You should replace unity interface with somthing faster like openbox, lxde och enlightenment, you could probably upgrade to 13.04 to get a bit better performance aswell or just wait untill it's released at the 25th.
    Feel free to add a fellow linux gamer on steam && desura : Maokei

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

bud986 makes a good point. XFCE is pretty considerate of system resources too, and deeply customizable. (Although if you need more from your system, definitely give the other suggested alternatives a shot.) I have no problems running Quake III, for instance, at a solid 60FPS without the CPU fan going nuts after two minutes, unlike on Windows 7. (Could be Windows Aero, though, I'm not sure yet.) I don't have any problems running games in fullscreen with XFCE either; it just works without a wonky transition.

Personally, I think it's better to stick to stable since you're not having to constantly reinstall all your games with each new unstable release. (I know there is an upgrade option, but that doesn't pan out cleanly for everyone, so it's a better bet to reinstall the whole OS.) Besides that, there are probably a lot of specific tweaks you may have done to your installation of Ubuntu that wouldn't translate into the next version. Upgrades are mostly worth it if the drivers are better and you can't get compiled backports of them for your version.

This is my personal experience, at least. Not everything works out of the box, so I like knowing I won't have to get all my games and software cooperating again come the next rolling release six months down the road. As much as I love my games, and how much faster they run on Linux, I was tired of constantly fiddling around just to get them running again.

Beans

So I guess I should keep what I have and wait for a newer version than what this site has? Or will it be better to use the latest version and then update it when a new one comes again? Right now I have the stable version so it's the older version. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Update early or not, well there might be some bugs and features that are not complete yet, that being said I have heard that 13.04 beta seems to be really stable in its current state. I have ran some of the earlier beta version and updated later without much extra trouble so its worth doing if you want to have the latest and greatest.
    About different desktops here is some performance comparisons: Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop Gaming Performance Comparison
    Feel free to add a fellow linux gamer on steam && desura : Maokei

Beans

I guess I could ask this but what were the main difference that is better on the latest version now? Like are there things that are already better for games even it's before the new stable version?

Beans

Go for Xubuntu 12.04 and get yourself the latest driver! For AMD drivers you can just download and install them from the AMD website. For nVidia drivers use jockey. For Intel drivers use this ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates !!!But be aware, using PPAs is at your own risk and could break your system. But in this case I can tell you it's a very good ppa with stable drivers.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

^ Exactly. If you have the latest drivers, then there's no need to upgrade or reinstall the whole OS itself just for a better frame rate in games. (Unless you primarily use Unity and want all the improvements that come with Raring Ringtail, of course.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm running 13.04 Dev elopment Release/Beta on a 15.6" Toshiba Laptop with Intigrated Intel Graphics 4GB of RAM with only 3.7GB usable by the System the rest for Graphics and a 2.20GHZ Intel Celeron Single Core x64 CPU and it runs Tux Cart along with Bastion and Kerbal Space Program without any lag, just can't get Kerbal Space Program to run full screen at the min.

But I think this late in the development cycle of 13.04 I think it's safe to say that it's pretty much stable as its gone beta and a Release Candidate is expected on the 18th.

Roland