Thread: dual boot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

dual boot?

it is possible to dual boot having both ubuntu, and another linux operating system, or are you only able to dual boot a linux OS with windows?
    Linux User #489182

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: dual boot?

i have seen this topic in other linux forms and it is possible so they say on them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As far as I know, you can dual-boot several OSs, including different Linux distros. I don't know if the fact that you can have only four primary partitions could limit the number of OSs, but the flavor is irrelevant I guess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

you would need a proper partition for this i suggest just switching between 2 different hard drives

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Get thee an extended partition!

Not so long ago I was multibooting one of my machines with Windows XP, Ubuntu, FreeBSD, and two lesser known/used Linux distributions, and of course a swap partition.

I started with the Windows XP install, which was still present from the previous machine owner, shrunk it, and made my partition scheme from an Ubuntu LiveCD, making sure one was extended so I could get past the default "four systems only" on an MS-DOS disklabel.

Everything ran just fine, though one Linux distribution complained about being installed on an extended partition.
    Spiralinear: Humanity & Machines
    RUNNING: Fedora | FreeBSD | Windows 7