Thread: File sharing between win vista and Ubuntu 8.1

Beans

File sharing between win vista and Ubuntu 8.1

I have a wired connection between my Win Vista box and my Ubuntu 8.1 box, both boxes share an internet connection through my router and I get internet access fine on both boxes. When I go to the network area on the Linux box I can see the vista box (Windows Network) and I can see the vista boxes computer name but when I try to access the drive I get a user login/password/domain box. I have file sharing enabled on the Vista C drive but I have never set any password/permissions to access it. Am I missing something on the Ubuntu side that allows me to access the Vista box? Not sure what to do i ahve done filesharing between Windows boxes before and never had this problem so I think it's me being a newbie with Linux that is creating this issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: File sharing between win vista and Ubuntu 8.1

AWWW... where was it??? I remember a thread that mentioned something extra that need to be enabled, turned on, or added to fileshare with Vista... but I don't remember specifics. I'll have to search for awhile...
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Ya know the weird thing is that I ha dto re-install Ubuntu because of a mistake I made and I installed 8.04. I turned off the password protection on the Vista box and I can see the network shares area nw on the Vista box, weird though cause I can only access the Public folder and that's it, and I can't add anything to it from the Vista box. Gotta love Vista!!! If you come across anything I would really appreciate the info. thanks for the help!!!

John

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This isn't the one I was thinking of, but it's a start. The one I remember had some Samba configuration options.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net