Thread: hung up ubuntu:is that a graphics problem ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

hung up ubuntu:is that a graphics problem ?

I installed ubuntu 7.10 on my machine. It installed all the way fine. When i was prompted to reboot the system (after removing the disc from the system) i did so which booted the new install.

I then type in my username and password and then it is. It accepts my details [i.e. no incorrect username/password message] and then it just sits there on the light orange blank screen. It proceeds to nowhere even after waiting for long periods of time [neither can i see the hard drive read LED on. the system seems to be doing no working on my login attempt]. I just cannot login to my GUI desktop [although i can login at the terminals==>Ctrl+Alt+F2 to F6].

What do i do.I think it is due to some graphics issue.
    **One thing...I have a higher screen resolution at the login screen than what i set at the ubuntu desktop during live disk session.
    **Also the screen refresh frequency seems to be lower than 85Hz which is recommended for my CRT monitor.
    **the recommended primary mode for my CRT monitor is 1024x768 (85Hz). This is what i set during the live disk session before initiating the install. i should get that thereafter, but i dont.
    **When i booted from the CD for the first time, then before the GUI of ubuntu took up the screen, i was prompted with messgaes like...
    load boot time graphics [y/n] and a few more like this. [i answered with Y everytime]
    My buddy tells me these things are not experienced in his machine. So is some thing wrong here.

I have an integrated graphics on my motherboard. Its Intel 845GL (64 MB).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: hung up ubuntu:is that a graphics problem ?

I saw a thread just earlier asking about 845GL let me see if I can find it

Beans

I'd down load and install the latest version of Ubuntu. Some integrated Intel graphics cards can cause a few problems. So the newest version of most likely to work.

Beans

try pressing alt+f2 at the orange screen and typing in "gnome-panel" then run.. I dunno.. Worth a shot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by get2shashank View Post
    I installed ubuntu 7.10 on my machine. It installed all the way fine. When i was prompted to reboot the system (after removing the disc from the system) i did so which booted the new install.

I then type in my username and password and then it is. It accepts my details [i.e. no incorrect username/password message] and then it just sits there on the light orange blank screen. It proceeds to nowhere even after waiting for long periods of time [neither can i see the hard drive read LED on. the system seems to be doing no working on my login attempt]. I just cannot login to my GUI desktop [although i can login at the terminals==>Ctrl+Alt+F2 to F6].

What do i do.I think it is due to some graphics issue.
    **One thing...I have a higher screen resolution at the login screen than what i set at the ubuntu desktop during live disk session.
    **Also the screen refresh frequency seems to be lower than 85Hz which is recommended for my CRT monitor.
    **the recommended primary mode for my CRT monitor is 1024x768 (85Hz). This is what i set during the live disk session before initiating the install. i should get that thereafter, but i dont.
    **When i booted from the CD for the first time, then before the GUI of ubuntu took up the screen, i was prompted with messgaes like...
    load boot time graphics [y/n] and a few more like this. [i answered with Y everytime]
    My buddy tells me these things are not experienced in his machine. So is some thing wrong here.

I have an integrated graphics on my motherboard. Its Intel 845GL (64 MB).

7.10 ? 9.04 is out in 2 days...
    Dell Studio XPS 1645, Intel I7 720QM, 4GB DDR 3 1333, SONY NEC BC-5600S Blu-Ray / dvd drive, ATI 4670

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

8.10 and 8.04 are prone to all these problems on the system already.
    7.1ran a few times so i had no choice...

Beans

Did you try what I suggested earlier? No luck?