Thread: I'm so at a loss. Booting into BusyBox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm so at a loss. Booting into BusyBox

I'm really rusty and new to Linux, Ubuntu, etc.

I'm not sure why, but lately I've had some really bad things happen with my Linux Ubuntu Lamp Server. I would love to give the version but don't even know how to get that info. I know I'm into the 8's. If it's 8.1 or 8.04 I don't know.

It was singing along nicely until about a month ago. I started to see files and folders having issues, can't be moved or deleted, etc. Today on boot, the drive was locked. I could see it from my windows machine but couldn't write to it as it was set for read only.

So I rebooted, got into a screen that said it (the partition) was isolated, have to run FSCK, etc etc. So I did. A TON of errors came up, multiply- something or other. I cloned them the last time this happened. This time I said no. Went through a bunch of them... rebooted, now at BusyBox whatever that is.

I googled it the last three days. Many said MEMORY issues, DRIVE issues, so I ran a memtest86 all night. No failures. I ran diagnostics on the drives in my windows machine, all past with no errors at all. The hardware seems to be sound. I put in a stored hard drive that boots Windows XP and the machine came up just fine, ran for a few days. Never had a prob.

All I can think of is I had a couple power surges I think about 3 months ago, the system rebooted after a weird noise. I have it hooked into a power backup with protection. $200 on this APC. I have removed all the extra cards, video tuning cards, serial cards, etc. It's stock now. I can't for the LIFE of me figure out what caused the multiply-claimed blocks in inode. Whenever I shut down, I do it either by command line or otherwise, but never just turn it off.

And now I have absolutely NO IDEA how to regain control of my Ubuntu LAMP server.

I'm sorry if this plea for help is too vague. I don't know enough to help myself with this. I hope someone can attempt to direct me back to at LEAST getting the LAMP back online.

I backed up 2 days ago so the data is safe, but not the system, just the stores.

Thank you SO MUCH for your time reading this.

Hop
    I think, therefore I script.
    Ubuntu Hardy Server 8.04 configured as a LAMP server, GNOME
    Pentium 4 3GHz Prescott, Asus P4P800 SE, nVidia 6600GT, 4gb RAM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: I'm so at a loss. Booting into BusyBox

Well I've tried Super Grub, the LiveCD, about a dozen walk through posts and I'm still booting into busybox. I ordered a couple of 640gb Western Digital Caviar Black drives so I would have clean gear to reinstall on. I'm hoping I can gain access to that busted boot drive and pull my data off.

I am missing files that ubuntu needs I'm sure, but I'm not sure how to proceed with repairs and was hoping for some advice here for how to at least see what I need to do initially. The new drives will not arrive from NewEgg until Monday so I have the weekend to work on it.

If anything, I'd like to know what happened, how I can prevent it, and learn how to fix it. I'm not ready to give up yet.

Hop
    I think, therefore I script.
    Ubuntu Hardy Server 8.04 configured as a LAMP server, GNOME
    Pentium 4 3GHz Prescott, Asus P4P800 SE, nVidia 6600GT, 4gb RAM