Thread: Black flashing screen

Beans

Unhappy Black flashing screen

Hello there,

I am dying to use ubuntu-studio on my macbook1,1. To be safe I installed everything first on an external usb drive. I made a small HFS Refit partion and took the standard values to partion the rest of the disk in a ext3 and swap partion.

The installation went flawless the second time ( I first had a Grub error 15).

The problem is that when I am booting the distro I end up with a black screen with some flashing lines after the splashscreen.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thx

Anthony

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Black flashing screen

well, if you are getting it to boot from an external device at all you are doing better than most. Usually you have to use grub-efi for that to work.

Beans

I found a quick workaround for the black screen: I boot in Recovery mode, choose to reconfigure de X server and the resume to normal boot. Ubuntu boots fine.

My new problem is the following: I need to perform these steps at every boot although X.org saves his configuration. Is there a way to fix this?

For the external disk, this is how I did it:

1. Create with diskutil (in os x) a small partition called REFIT and make it bootable.
    2. Perform a manual install of Refit (Put the files in it and run the script) on the newly created partition.
    3. Insert the ubuntu install disk, and perfom the installation. Choose the Freespace on the external disk (the one with the REFIT partition, and partition your ext3 and swap (I took the default)
    4.Finish the installation
    5. Boot with the ALT key pressed, choose Refit
    6. In Refit, choose to boot Linux.
    Last edited by kaouki; April 21st, 2009 at 11:44 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kaouki View Post
    I found a quick workaround for the black screen: I boot in Recovery mode, choose to reconfigure de X server and the resume to normal boot. Ubuntu boots fine.

My new problem is the following: I need to perform these steps at every boot although X.org saves his configuration. Is there a way to fix this?
    Can you post your xorg.conf

Quote Originally Posted by kaouki View Post
    For the external disk, this is how I did it:

1. Create with diskutil (in os x) a small partition called REFIT and make it bootable.
    2. Perform a manual install of Refit (Put the files in it and run the script) on the newly created partition.
    3. Insert the ubuntu install disk, and perfom the installation. Choose the Freespace on the external disk (the one with the REFIT partition, and partition your ext3 and swap (I took the default)
    4.Finish the installation
    5. Boot with the ALT key pressed, choose Refit
    6. In Refit, choose to boot Linux.
    yes, but this doesn't work for most. It is interesting that it works for you. Usually if you try to boot a "legacy OS" from a external device, rEFIt will give you an error about Apple firmware not supporting the ability to boot from external devices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy Re: Black flashing screen

I get a solid black screen, my X windows is now shot, my base 8.10 OS boot up is fine. Sad part was that from Synaptic manager, I was just install webcam software; not looking for a jump to the 'studio' version.

Any way to back out or remove 'Ubuntu-Studio' cleanly?? I can get to the tty prompt and run apt-get??
    Last edited by tomthumb99; April 21st, 2009 at 11:33 PM. Reason: spelling fixs
    Good technology should be easy to use, that is the point of it.