Thread: Jahshaka?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Jahshaka?

Hello,

I've been looking into Jahshaka and it looks amazing, so I decided to try and install it.

As you probably guessed, that didn't go too well.
    So, now i have a few questions

-Is there any .deb file that would allow me to install jahshaka on intrepid?

-Will jahshaka be in the Ubuntu 9.04 repositories?

-Are there any other opensource programs like jahshaka (effects based video editors) that are less of a pain to install?

-On the Jahshaka site, it seemed like v3 was almost out... but that was posted more than a year ago. Any idea what's going on with that?

-if there is no deb file, where can i find a good tutorial to help me install the source? (one that a complete idiot such as myself would be able to understand)

TIA for any responces
    ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Jahshaka?

Quote Originally Posted by higashi View Post
    Hello,

I've been looking into Jahshaka and it looks amazing, so I decided to try and install it.

As you probably guessed, that didn't go too well.
    So, now i have a few questions

-Is there any .deb file that would allow me to install jahshaka on intrepid?

-Will jahshaka be in the Ubuntu 9.04 repositories?

-Are there any other opensource programs like jahshaka (effects based video editors) that are less of a pain to install?

-On the Jahshaka site, it seemed like v3 was almost out... but that was posted more than a year ago. Any idea what's going on with that?

-if there is no deb file, where can i find a good tutorial to help me install the source? (one that a complete idiot such as myself would be able to understand)

TIA for any responces
    Hi,

I haven't used Jahshaka myself but talking about other softwares then there are two that i 've used. I'm not very good at video editing myself just started learning.

KINO : this one is very simple you use more like windows movie maker , only this one is better

KDEnlive : this one is a little complex for me but i read about this and it's all good.

You can try these two there are so many other and if you are a little more serious about multimedia production look into a distribution called ArtistX

Beans

I'm quite disenchanted with the Linux video options. There are plenty but none work. Minor detail...

Jahshaka runs in Wine but my screen shows scrambled video. This, however seems to be a problem with my computer's video card or something, as certain native linux apps have that problem on my computer.

Here's a list of ones I've tried:
    Lives - looks great and almost works, but I cannot put a video on the timeline; therefore it's useless.
    KDenLive - almost, but it's quite limited.
    Cinelerra - horrible window design and weird controllers. Plus it randomly crashes.
    There are many more. All suck. If anyone finds one that works please let me know.

My most recent attempt was to install XP on vmware and run jahshaka. After successfully running XP on vmware, jahshaka won't start and it won't reveal why on the error message. I'm flat out stuck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thankfully PiTiVi will be helping to redress the current lack of decent Video editors. You can get the current PiTiVi release in Add/remove, but it lacks transitions/effects etc.

A more complete version is still in the works and from what i remember should be out this year. There are two developers being paid to work on it as well and it will be the best video editing solution for Linux! It's aim is to be useful, stable and as easy and powerful to use as iMovie.
    OMG! Ubuntu!
    Everything Ubuntu. Daily.

Beans

Kino indeed sucks but Avidemux is promising. It helped me many times.

Also check for winffmpeg, agui frontend for ffmpeg

Anyway, it's really sad for Jahshaka. Promising projects are just abandoned now and then. It's the major vulnerability of the opensource community

Beans
    Hidden!

Yup, Jahshaka is definitely vaporware.
    Don't look for debs, don't request it for the repos. Forget it ever existed.

Basically v2 was so buggy they decided to rewrite it. Version 3 has since failed to materialise.
    They seem to put more effort into website/GUI/splash screen design than actually producing a working application.

BTW, this isn't a shortfall of open source apps. This happens in the proprietary world as well. The difference is, when it happens in open source, it happens in public.

Blender is the best option at the moment. It has a video sequencer (which is ok for some tasks) and a node based compositor (which is frikkin' awesome).

Good luck!

P.S. Jahshaka has been renamed "cinefx", but this happened back in February and since then there has been no further news.

P.P.S Since "Cinefx" is the name of a graphics engine from nvidia, expect this new version to disappear soon as well, or at least to change name (again).
    Last edited by ogden_freen; May 21st, 2009 at 08:55 AM. Reason: updated url

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

ah ok. Well i guess there's just no video editing for me for now. I've tried a few programs such as LiVEs and KDEnlive , but ive been using them for a while and i set out to look for something better.

Also, blender doesn't work properly on 8.10 so thats not an option.

Thanks for the info. I'm just going to hope that they're going to release the new version, no matter what the name is. I'm obviously really bad at keeping track of these things so... if they change names again, can you pm me and tell me?

Anyways, thanks a lot for your help. (:
    ~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joey-elijah View Post
    Thankfully PiTiVi will be helping to redress the current lack of decent Video editors.
    In that case I will keep my eye on it

I'm also hunting for a good video editor, and I've tried plenty over the past few years, and for a lack of a single tool with all the features I want, I find myself shifting between a few, and it's tricky using multiple unstable apps

FYI - Virtualdub is the best video processing utility I have found. It's only built for win32 but it's licensed under the GPL. Although not a full-blown video editor, its exceptional for fixing broken video streams, quick re-encoding and doing specialized tasks. It runs under WINE but I haven't used it nearly as much as I have inside a win box.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have just done something in PiTiVi I have been trying to do in Linux for a long time - take photos of my kids add a song track and make a movie I could encode into DvD. There are still no transitions and effect - BUT - it is stable and works for the core functions - something even KDENLIVE could not do.
    Finding New Ways to Use Ubuntu to Simplify My Digital Life.
    Linux - The Platform for a New Digital Generation.

Beans

if you need just a video editor, Openshot is ******* awesome