Page 124 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1334

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

The xserver-xorg-video-intel update to 2.9.0 won't load the login screen for me. It sends me to a terminal instead. I had to downgrade to 2.7.1 (thanks to alx818 for the link) to get X working.

Here's the bug report I filed. Let me know if I need to move it.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/455010

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I got the white screen also for a desktop in gnome.
    Shifting to a xfce session worked to view a desktop
    I Used in a terminal

apt-cache show xserver-xorg-video-intel

AND THEN for me

sudo aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-intel=2:2.6.3-0ubuntu9

appears back to normal now in gnome.

NOTE: I still need use aptitide to pin to 2.2.6.3

I will be looking for info about this for Karmic. I haven't tried the beta yet. Might be time to set up a usbstick and try.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I tried Karmic Beta via the live CD and enabled multiverse repos (I think) to install Flash and Ubuntu Restricted Areas. Fullscreen video seemed to work notably better in ABC iView and YouTube.
    The difference between wisdom and foolishness? Wisdom knows how foolish it is.

Beans

x-updates:

It turns out that the intel 2:2.9.0-1ubuntu2~xup~1 package was missing a PCI ID file, so many of you ended up using the vesa driver instead of the intel driver. This would explain missing modes and wrong resolution. This should be fixed in 2:2.9.0-1ubuntu2~xup~3. Please check your Xorg.0.log if there are still problems. See bug #454029. This also demonstrates that filing a bug is much more efficient than complaining in a forum...

xorg-edgers:

Since so many people use xorg-edgers on Jaunty without knowing it, or knowing what they are doing, I have uploaded a 2.9.0 version with UMS. It will replace the previous post-2.9.0 version (which happened to have a 2.9.0~ version number so it will smoothly "upgrade" although it is a downgrade). See bug #447181.
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans
    Distro

I'm not sure people were complaining. They were just making forum readers aware of a situation. Posting information in this forum is good as it helped me not install this update, initially. Bug reports are good no doubt but there is value in the forum approach as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Today I updated to 2:2.9.0-1ubuntu2~xup~3 from the x-updates repo, and it broke compositing. I have a T61 laptop with GM965 / X3100 integrated video. When I enable compiz, screen actions like moving windows slow down to the point of being unusable.

I get ~300 FPS on glxgears. Looking at Xorg.0.log, it appears that the DRI module is loading too.

I'm not sure what the problem is. Running the fixmtrr.sh script did not help. Perhaps something in my xorg.conf?

Xorg.0.log and xorg.conf are attached. Will tweak xorg.conf to set:
    Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"

and update to let you know if that fixed it. I had this line commented out because with it enabled, graphics were unusable (same slow problem) with compiz when I first set it up.

Update: Using AccelMethod "uxa" did not change anything. It's unclear to me if the kernel module is loading. How do you check? What is the module name?

Gosh I *sure* hope this is fixed in Karmic. I was never able to get tear-free fullscreen video, which I would really like. I should download the beta and test it...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by aboutblank; October 19th, 2009 at 09:23 PM.
    In Maryland? Join the Maryland Team!

Beans
    Distro

Read my post, above. I've had Karmic running full screen video fine and yesterday installed the Beta version on my spare drive and it worked well at full screen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Orographic View Post
    I'm not sure people were complaining. They were just making forum readers aware of a situation. Posting information in this forum is good as it helped me not install this update, initially. Bug reports are good no doubt but there is value in the forum approach as well.
    Yes, you are right. But a bug should be filed as well. Not just "I'll just wait for this to be fixed".
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aboutblank View Post
    I'm not sure what the problem is. Running the fixmtrr.sh script did not help. Perhaps something in my xorg.conf?
    Try without any xorg.conf at all. And yes, the log shows that DRI2 is correctly set up, so the kernel module seems to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by tormod View Post
    Try without any xorg.conf at all. And yes, the log shows that DRI2 is correctly set up, so the kernel module seems to work.
    Thanks tormod, I can run compiz when I start without an xorg.conf (or with all the option lines under Section "Device" for "Configured Video Device"). I tried enabling each of these options one by one, but enabling any of them caused the xserver to not load with the login screen.

So now the only problem is that when running compiz, the beginnings of animations seem slow or stuttered. For example, with compiz disabled, glxgears gets 353 - 359 FPS every 5 second interval, including the first. With compiz enabled, glxgears gets around 360 FPS on the first 5 second interval, then 430 - 440 FPS for the next 10 intervals. This is obvious in everyday use when using the cube animation or in avant window manager animations. Is this possibly caused by the default migration heuristic?

Thanks for your help!
    In Maryland? Join the Maryland Team!

Page 124 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125126 ... LastLast