Page 133 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,330 of 1334

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Quote Originally Posted by fktt View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but would this quide be of use on 10.04 with a gma 950?

ps. I'm running the acer apire one(AOA150) zg5.
    No, 10.04 has the latest kernel, DRM, and Intel drivers which fix the problems with 3D speeds. There is a more recent driver from intel which fixes a lot of speed issues but it may not be in the repos yet.
    Education is what remains after we forget everything we learned in school.

Beans

Hello,

I've got me a "new" laptop which is a Dell Inspiron 1150 with an Intel 82852 gfx chip. I'm experiencing some problems with videoplayback (youtube 0.5 to 10 FPS). I've run both Gnome and XFCE, and turning on compositing works great.

I installed 10.04. At first I booted into a blank screen preventing me to do anything. Next I installing a CMI system and dpkg'ing another kernel before installing a GUI fixed that (thanks). I even got the proper resolution! Now I've got to get it's videoperformance up to par with 8.04.

I tried both Safe and Optimal config described in the topicstart but to no avail. Is there anything else i can do?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by .zolder View Post
    I tried both Safe and Optimal config described in the topicstart but to no avail. Is there anything else i can do?
    You noticed that the topicstart (and the whole thread) is about 9.04 and that you are using 10.04? And you read the last comment before your post?
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans

I did, but this topic was the only one that i could find that comes close to the problems I'm experiencing and actually supplies a possible fix. I also read that there IS a driver, but it doesn't come with this distro. As I understand things, there should be a way to load those..
    edit: would this help for instance?
    Last edited by .zolder; July 11th, 2010 at 02:33 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by .zolder View Post
    I did, but this topic was the only one that i could find that comes close to the problems I'm experiencing and actually supplies a possible fix. I also read that there IS a driver, but it doesn't come with this distro. As I understand things, there should be a way to load those..
    edit: would this help for instance?
    You are allowed to start new threads If you run maverick + xorg-edgers you can be pretty sure you run the latest (and unreleased) versions of the driver. But that's stuff for another thread.
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Charkel View Post
    i got no xorg.conf and "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" doesn't create one
    i had this problem, too. i tried "sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg". the response was that xserver was already installed and at the latest version. however, once i tried "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" again after that, it populated the file "xorg.conf.failsafe" in the X11 folder. so i did "sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe /etc/X11/xorg.conf" to copy the contents of xorg.conf.failsafe to a newly created xorg.conf. now i am ready to follow the rest of the procedure.

robb.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by robb. View Post
    i had this problem, too. i tried "sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg". the response was that xserver was already installed and at the latest version. however, once i tried "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" again after that, it populated the file "xorg.conf.failsafe" in the X11 folder. so i did "sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe /etc/X11/xorg.conf" to copy the contents of xorg.conf.failsafe to a newly created xorg.conf. now i am ready to follow the rest of the procedure.

robb.
    For Lucid:

sudo service gdm stop
    Press Alt-F1 and log in
    sudo X -configure
    sudo cp ~/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    sudo service gdm start

(note that you will still be logged on use Ctrl+Alt+F1 and log out then Ctrl+Alt+F7)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn00 View Post
    it's actually

Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    Hi,
    I am new on Ubuntu.
    Tried the command since on my installation also no xorg.conf does not exist.

No error messages but also no xorg.conf.

Kind regards
    Karl-Heinz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

On my laptop, lspic reports
    Code:
    Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)
    Q1: How do I discover which hardware and software features are supported by this card?

Q2: How do I discover what are the problems with this card and drivers?

Q3: How do I discover the land mines in a manual kernel update -- one not provided through update-manager?
    I'd like to move to the 2.6.30 kernel. (Jaunty updates seem to stall at 2.6.28-19.)

On the useful side, I approach PPA additions a little differently.
    You can put small separate files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ instead of editing the main file in /etc/apt/sources.list itself.
    For this posting, I created a file called "X-updates.list" with the following contents"
    Code:
    #++
    #  TITLE:  X-upates.list
    #
    #  DESCRIPTION:
    #    PPA access to X-11 and Xorg updates
    #
    #  PROGRAMMER NOTES:
    #  1.  security (Ubuntu Jaunty)
    #        $ sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com AF1CDFA9
    #        $ sudo apt-get update
    #        $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    #--

#=== name the repositories
    deb     http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu jaunty main      #X-Updates PPA
    deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates/ubuntu jaunty main      #X-Updates PPA

# EOF -- X-updates.list
    When package manager runs, it scans /etc/apt/sources.list (the file) and then /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*.list (the folder & contents). It becomes trivial to find and manage individual repository changes by
    managing these files. Also, after an update, one needs to move these files to the next workstation and edit {ubuntu edition} to use the newest codename (jaunty, Lucid, etc).

Merci d'avance,
    ~~~ 0;-Dan
    "All government spending, regardless of the motives, uses YOUR money."

Beans

Is gtkperf a meaningful benchmark? I think I have my Intel 865G finally working sensibly if not perfectly, after finding and removing some symlinks to old nVidia drivers. At least full screen video now displays without breaking up. I still can't set UXA without X crashing, so maybe there is more improvement to come.

100 iterations:
    Code:
    GtkPerf 0.40 - Starting testing: Thu Dec 16 19:01:53 2010

GtkEntry - time:  0.16
    GtkComboBox - time:  1.87
    GtkComboBoxEntry - time:  1.59
    GtkSpinButton - time:  0.41
    GtkProgressBar - time:  0.20
    GtkToggleButton - time:  0.35
    GtkCheckButton - time:  0.24
    GtkRadioButton - time:  0.92
    GtkTextView - Add text - time:  1.27
    GtkTextView - Scroll - time:  0.53
    GtkDrawingArea - Lines - time:  1.67
    GtkDrawingArea - Circles - time:  1.41
    GtkDrawingArea - Text - time:  4.47
    GtkDrawingArea - Pixbufs - time:  0.62
     --- 
    Total time: 15.73
    No MTRR problems here, so presumably this has been fixed. I have the Mesa 7.4 drivers and a custom built 2.6.30 kernel.

Seems pretty fast to me. Maybe it is just testing 2D stuff that the Intel chips can do OK? I did notice that the test maxed my CeleronD 2.8 CPU. Not sure if that is the software direct renderer or just gtkperf itself. I made a comparison with an nVidia 5200FX on a much slower CPU (400MHz Pentium II!) and it was 5-6 times slower.

Page 133 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134 LastLast