Page 86 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.lifeguard View Post
    I don't think any fix is possible because your card is blacklisted (and they blacklist cards with good reason, apparently). You can try disabling the blacklisting code, but that's likely to result in badness of one variety or another.
    Well I did disable blacklist, that is the only way to start it but just mouse + wallpaper and
    REISUB to get out of it. I have seen some with the same chip manage to get it running but
    on this wierd Gericom Hummer 755II the monitor setup seems strange, ddcprobe freezes
    the machine and only a hard shutdown takes me out of it. I do think that if I can configure
    Monitor properly in xorg.conf I have a chance to get it working. After a crash I get a black screen (no graphical log in) and if I log in blindly it starts and I can use a terminal (in my case Yakuake)by hitting F12 and type sudo reboot and pwd. (blindly) and next time it start
    it act normal again, it is like hal/fdi (or something) tries a one or two settings before it finds one that works with my TFT monitor. I cannot set resolution in Display settings, it is greyed
    out (and I can see that monitor is ON) I get 1024 x 768 whatever I do, if I hit apply in display it sais I have no virtual screen and asks if I want xorg configured I say yes and it adds a subsection in Screen "Virtual 0 0" but still wont work.
    ECS Nforce 939, AMD Athlon 4400+ X2, Geforce 7300LE, Nokia 447Xav, ATA ST3500630AS, ATA ST3160023AS, Optiarc AD-7170S, 2GB RAM.

Beans

Thank you for the post. It worked well for me on Thinkpad T500 with Intel X4500HD GMA running generic kernels 2.6.28-11, 2.6.28-13 and 2.6.30-020630. Effect on pae-enabled kernels (Ubuntu server and custom compiled) though is catastrophic. Before the fix X used to work extremely poorly with those kernels, now it does not work with them at all.

Can you comment on how the fix relates to pae kernels and is there a way to fix those in 9.04? Or/and in 9.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by nikolayo View Post
    Thank you for the post. It worked well for me on Thinkpad T500 with Intel X4500HD GMA running generic kernels 2.6.28-11, 2.6.28-13 and 2.6.30-020630. Effect on pae-enabled kernels (Ubuntu server and custom compiled) though is catastrophic. Before the fix X used to work extremely poorly with those kernels, now it does not work with them at all.

Can you comment on how the fix relates to pae kernels and is there a way to fix those in 9.04? Or/and in 9.10?
    Since PAE does some "magic" with regards to memory allocation, the MTRR setup may be different for these kernels, which I guess is causing issues for you. Unfortunately I have no 64-bit systems available to test this issue.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    That doesn't affect performance on my system, how did you run compiz with loose binding?

I tried:
    Code:
    $ compiz.real --replace --loose-binding
    Maybe compiz works differently nowadays, I haven't checked extensively.
    I actually cheat and use the compiz fusion icon, which lets you change various compiz options without needing to learn the command options, but that sounds about right, although I have never actually set it that way

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    Since PAE does some "magic" with regards to memory allocation, the MTRR setup may be different for these kernels, which I guess is causing issues for you. Unfortunately I have no 64-bit systems available to test this issue.
    Thank you. I found out that pae kernels work fine and there is LOT of improvement compared to pre-fix behavior if new entries in xorg.conf are commented out.

I also compared memory layouts reported by lspci and they are the same. What differs is reported IRQ. Any advice based on that? Here is the relevant part of lspci output:

Code:
    Generic kernel:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
            Subsystem: Lenovo Device 20e4
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 2296
            Memory at f4400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
            Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]
            Capabilities: <access denied>

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
            Memory at f4200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]

Pae kernel:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 31
            Memory at f4400000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4M]
            Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
            I/O ports at 1800 [size=8]

00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
            Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
            Memory at f4200000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I recently tried the safe sections on my laptop with Intel X3100 graphics (running Jaunty), and it worked VERY well - even better than with Intrepid.

However, I decided to try the "safe" configuration on my brother's HP Mini 110 Mi netbook (running Ubuntu UNR 9.04) with Intel GMA 950 graphics and it made performance much WORSE.

So, my question is, has anyone successfully fixed their graphics problems on Jaunty with GMA 950 hardware?

I think I saw somewhere that the bleeding edge configuration solves the problem but I'm afraid that will introduce other issues.

Thanks!

Beans

Hello,

I followed the guide to set up the optimal video configuration, but when (and only when) UXA acceleration is enabled, after I close Google Earth, X crashes and I get kicked back to the login screen. Also some graphic effects with Compiz (standard light settings) like menu transprency looks a bit weird with UXA enabled.

If I comment out the line which sets up UXA configuration in xorg.conf, all works almost perfectly (except for serious issues in 3d programs like Blender and Google Earth), and X doesn't crash.

My video card is a G45 Intel GMA X4500HD.
    Last edited by Ubuntu Terrier; June 20th, 2009 at 07:25 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've had some troubles with Uxa and optimal configuration, so I just moved to the Bleeding-edge, which works absolutelly well.

You could try switching to bleeding edge and, if everything works like you expect, comment the bleeding edge repos lines in /etc/apt/sources.list, so nothing could break in a future upgrade.
    Busques ajuda? Comença pel wiki de l'equip català!

Beans

Question Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

This guide is awesome!

I have an x3100, and using the "Optimal" setup solved the last compiz errors I had, and it seems to be running better than even before I enabled compiz.

I do have one problem though - I can't use Remastersys to make a live CD backup anymore. Does anyone know a workaround for this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

When doing the most recent stock kernel updates I noticed that it mentioned something about intel i8xx chipsets. Was this related to the video problems? My chipset is actually a 945GM, but I was hoping that this might help some other users.

Page 86 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast