Page 83 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Quote Originally Posted by treesurf View Post
    When I first installed Jaunty I decided to just revert to the Intrepid intel driver and give this some time to develop. I just followed the Optimal version of this fix and so far so good! ppracer is giving me about 30fps, which is acceptable. GoogleEarth still runs slower than dirt, but I've been having that problem on this laptop since it was first ported to Linux. I have a a 945GM, by the way.

Thank you psyke!
    I'm running Jaunty on a HP Mini 2140 with the GMA950 card. I can only use the Safe config with stock kernel and updated X drivers - EXA is fast enough for Compiz while enabling UXA means the computer doesn't wake from sleep properly. Using the Optimal or Bleeding Edge configs, while faster, ended up hosing support for the Broadcom Wi-fi card due to the new kernel.

How can I run Intrepid X drivers on a Jaunty install? Can the existing Jaunty stock kernel be used or do I have to switch to the Intrepid kernel? I'd love to eke out a bit more performance in Tuxracer

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

psyke83,

I'd like to thank you. This guide helped me with my tearing problems on my Intel G31.

Thanx!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Sweet!!! The Safe Configuration worked for me! Here are the results of lspci on my machine:
    Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965 Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev f2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801HB/HR (ICH8/R) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) 4 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
    3f:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5755 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)
    FYI I also set "Tiling" to "false" like it says in the Part A Step 1 note. I hope this helps anyone else who has the same chipset/mobo/graphics as me.

I recently upgraded from 8.1 to 9.04 and noticed a bit of a slow down. I noticed my CPU load stayed around 2.00 while running Virtual Box and Firefox. My system was usable but I could definitely feel the slow down.

I eventually came across this thread and safe config works for me. I haven't tried the Optimal or Bleeding Edge configs but I don't see a need to if the safe config works.

Thank you psyke83 and all the contributors for this thread!

S3N

Beans

Thanks - I had all the xorg.conf options from the guide... - I was quite careful when doing that.
    The barebones xorg.conf that I have now was obtained after rolling back..
    Best,
    Romuald

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by zbugski View Post
    I'm running Jaunty on a HP Mini 2140 with the GMA950 card. I can only use the Safe config with stock kernel and updated X drivers - EXA is fast enough for Compiz while enabling UXA means the computer doesn't wake from sleep properly. Using the Optimal or Bleeding Edge configs, while faster, ended up hosing support for the Broadcom Wi-fi card due to the new kernel.

How can I run Intrepid X drivers on a Jaunty install? Can the existing Jaunty stock kernel be used or do I have to switch to the Intrepid kernel? I'd love to eke out a bit more performance in Tuxracer

Thanks!
    Here are instructions for reverting to the Intrepid intel drivers. There's no need to install a different kernel, the stock Jaunty kernel works fine for this. It's also really easy to switch back to the Jaunty drivers if this doesn't work out for you. How to is here:

http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/05/...driver-of.html

Best of luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah Umer View Post
    Hello.
    I am using intel 82845 graphics.

This is what i get from terminal.

~$ lspci |grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 03)

Extra VISUAL effects still cannot be enabled.

I am new to UBUNTU and i need help.

I have spent many hours on the internet to solve this problem. But still cannot find any.

Abdullah
    I have the same graphic chip and it is blacklisted in Compiz, hence no visual effects

http://wiki.compiz-fusion.org/Hardware/Blacklist
    ECS Nforce 939, AMD Athlon 4400+ X2, Geforce 7300LE, Nokia 447Xav, ATA ST3500630AS, ATA ST3160023AS, Optiarc AD-7170S, 2GB RAM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The 2.6.30 kernel is pretty buggy when it comes to resume from suspend.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.lifeguard View Post
    Yes, I'm using .30 (Briefly tried whatever is in jaunty-proposed currently too). Right now, I'm using xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.6.3-0ubuntu9.3, which seems reasonably stable. I've had a few hours of freeze-free performance, but I was able to purposefully trigger a freeze early on.

I did notice that things seem far less stable with compiz's wobbly windows enabled (specifically, using shiver on window mapping). There may be something more specific happening with that feature that isn't intel-related -- but that's far from certain.
    Looks like I was right. Freeze-free performance (using xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.7.99.1+git20090605.66ceedc0-0ubuntu0sarvatt2~jaunty) since that post until now after disabling wobbly windows, even when trying to induce freezes purposefully. Where should compiz bugs get reported?
    Last edited by Mike.lifeguard; June 17th, 2009 at 08:15 PM. Reason: +deets

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.lifeguard View Post
    Looks like I was right. Freeze-free performance (using xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.7.99.1+git20090605.66ceedc0-0ubuntu0sarvatt2~jaunty) since that post until now after disabling wobbly windows, even when trying to induce freezes purposefully. Where should compiz bugs get reported?
    Don't report these kind of bugs against compiz - it's clearly an Intel driver bug. Read the guide thoroughly (Important Note -> Reporting Bugs) - you're using xorg-edgers, so you can't report bugs to Launchpad. You can report them upstream if you want, though.

Beans

Thank you very much for this thread - just made me stop returning to arch linux for now
    Compiz runs fine on a Thinkpad T61 w. X3100 using the "bleeding edge" method.
    Ubuntu Lucid Lynx @ 10,4" Travelmate C110 TabletPC, 1Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, no fan
    Ubuntu Lucid Lynx @ Samsung NC10, Touchscreen

Page 83 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast