Page 7 of 134 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82G35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2982] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8276]
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0
    Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 27
    Region 0: Memory at fe800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
    Region 2: Memory at d0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
    Region 4: I/O ports at cc00 [size=8]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation 82G35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2983] (rev 03)
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8276]
    Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
    Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
    Latency: 0
    Region 0: Memory at fe900000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=1M]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    I keep getting
    bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument
    Any ideas?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dentaku65 View Post
    Good news (at least for me)
    I've applied a silly trick to xorg.conf and now also flash is working properly

Yes. Putting the forgotten and deprecated option of VideoRam (in my case 64MB) in xorg.conf fixed everything here.
    I actually tried this without doing any of the major changes that were detailed in the first post. While I can't exactly tell for sure if my graphics are back to the way they were in Intrepid, I can definitely say there's a pretty noticeable improvement over my fresh install of Jaunty. Thanks for the tip.

Beans

I fixed my problem (DRI not enabled) by temporarily booting into an older version of the kernel. Strange. Note I am NOT using UXA.

See: http://www.itwriting.com/blog/1358-u...so-jaunty.html

Tim
    Last edited by onlyconnect; April 24th, 2009 at 12:47 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    All launchpad ppas compile packages for i386, amd64 and lpia.
    Could this be a source for kernel and X server compiled for lpia? Is there some place where other than cutting edge builds are available?

I'm running Jaunty on an Intel Atom (Eee PC 901) and understand it could benefit from those optimizations.

The only thing I see in the normal i386 repos with lpia in the name is installation-guide-lpia. It describes where to find the installer and lpia does not exist for Jaunty.

Apologies for the semi-hijack.

thanks,
    hank

Beans

So, any help would be greatly appreciated! I'm not sure if my issue is related to this or not. I have a Asus EeePC 1000H and just installed 9.04 NBR last night. The laptop has a Intel GMA 950, and I am noticing a lot of flickering on the screen. It's not unbearable, but it's definitely irritating. It also seems that it's just laggy in general, and I'm guessing the video issue has something to do with it. Will the original poster's tips help me, or should I be looking down a different route? Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by StorMFreak View Post
    ... I have a Asus EeePC 1000H and just installed 9.04 NBR last night. The laptop has a Intel GMA 950, and I am noticing a lot of flickering on the screen.
    Can you elaborate on that? I have an Eee PC 901 with Intel 945GME graphics:
    Code:
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GME Express Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:27ae] (rev 03)
    When I run Firefox full screen (<F11>) and right click anywhere on the screen, the desktop background flashes briefly and the screen returns to the normal display. This also happens when I click the forum jump menu near the bottom of the screen. It also happens at other times, but either of these two actions seem to provoke it 100% of the time.

Is this the screen flicker that you are seeing?

I just tried applying the fixes described in the first post in this thread and that does not seem to make a difference. I wonder if this is a Firefox problem or the video drivers and how I can pursue a solution. On a 1024x600 screen it is really nice to use the full screen mode.

Aha! In a flash of inspiration, I went to System -> Preferences -> Appearance and switched visual effects from normal to none: No more flicker!

I'm guessing this means the problem is with the video driver (AKA X server.)

-hank

Beans

applying this change disables the brightness function key on thinkpad t61. apparently only under the original combination of kernel and intel driver, and with 2.4 driver, this function key works. either 2.6.30 kernel or 2.7 intel driver breaks it.

i am excited about this because for the first time, blur in compiz actually works, with pretty bad speed though.

i am under gnome. the original upgrade did not bother me much, although i noticed some slight performance reduce when maximizing or minimizing window.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HankB View Post
    Is this the screen flicker that you are seeing?

I just tried applying the fixes described in the first post in this thread and that does not seem to make a difference. I wonder if this is a Firefox problem or the video drivers and how I can pursue a solution. On a 1024x600 screen it is really nice to use the full screen mode.

Aha! In a flash of inspiration, I went to System -> Preferences -> Appearance and switched visual effects from normal to none: No more flicker!

I'm guessing this means the problem is with the video driver (AKA X server.)

-hank
    Perhaps you are right. After doing that Videoram option, while it stopped the lag, the flickering that you describe exists for me when I do the right click with firefox on fullscreen too.

Beans

My flicker issue actually looks like there is a loose cable. I have read on some other topics, and it sounds like it may be due to my wireless driver (unfortunately the alternate madwifi is not working at all...)

As far as my video full screen flash is unwatchable due to lag... So even if wireless is causing the flickering, I still think I have some video issues (not to mention how hot my eeePC gets now!)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

As described on this page,

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/rele...graphics cards

i added the line, displayed in bold, to my xorg.conf

Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Option		"MigrationHeuristic"	"greedy"
    EndSection
    Without the line i got ~5 fps in ppracer, with this Option i get ~20 fps.

(edit) But playing videos in fullscreen-mode with totem leading to a restart of the x-server.
    Last edited by map84; April 24th, 2009 at 08:32 PM.

Page 7 of 134 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast