Page 58 of 134 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    I still get corruption. I also run Karmic with kernel 2.6.30-6-generic, and it gives the same problem (with or without xorg-edgers drivers). It usually takes a few hours to manifest itself, though, and restarting X always solves the issue.

The bug should be fixed soon, hopefully.
    After 6-7 hours I got font corruption. Not in firefox (was closed at the time) but in konsole. Will now build rc7 with my config to see how it goes.

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Did wonders for my inspiron 640m, went from 10-12 to 25-30, funny enough that was for safe, optimal actually made it worse (8), and I didn't try bleeding edge.
    It feels like in intrepid again, great article

Beans

I am trying to do the udates in this post on Kubuntu 9.4, but I can't get past the first step. When I run 'sudo kate /ect/X11/xorg.conf' I get the following output:

Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-knievel" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    Error: "/tmp/kde-knievel" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    Error: "/tmp/ksocket-knievel" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    QThreadStorage: Thread 0x8aaab48 exited after QThreadStorage 2147483641 destroyed

I have looked through many forums, but I cant' find one that addresses this problem. Does anyone have any ideas as how to fix this problem. Thank you
    Last edited by knievel84; May 25th, 2009 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Correct command is 'kdesudo'. (I'm too used to Gnome)

Beans

Thanks a lot!!!
    I followed the safe mode and my pavillion dv2000 with i915 is working great

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Been following the thread for quite some time but was lurking until I made sure everything was working reliably...

FWIW. ThinkPad R61i with the GM965 and AR5212 chipsets...

Stock Jaunty: Video performance was abysmal even with Compiz disabled. Tried the 'greedy' option with no improvement. Tried downgrading the driver as suggested in the Wiki and bug reports only to get worse performance. Xorg was eating about 30% of the CPU at any given time. Idle temps were ~70C. Add to all that, Jaunty kept locking up (flashing Caps and all) which I later traced to madwifi (and no simple way to undo it in favor of ath5k). I was so frustrated that I was ready to wipe Jaunty for Hardy again at the cost of losing a year's worth of application improvements.

Safe: No improvement.

Optimal: Madwifi wasn't an issue for me, so no complaints about losing restricted drivers. Ath5k actually performs better with the 2.6.29 kernel (perhaps a false improvement only perceived by me). No more kernel panics. Dramatic improvement with graphics. Compiz can actually be enabled without tearing and slow all-around performance. CPU temps are actually lower than what they were in Hardy - ~50C while idle. Google Earth needs atmosphere disabled but can otherwise play well with Compiz.

The only catch was having to recompile ALSA 1.0.19 with the Conexant patch (to get back a working microphone). Otherwise, this is what Jaunty should have been...

I ended up dumping the stock Jaunty kernel from my system and leaving the 2.6.29 kernel as the only boot option because it dramatically improved my system all around.

Even with the optimal config, I too suffer from the garbled font issue. I can reliably reproduce the condition by reverting from Compiz to Metacity or by switching users and back.

Now to do something about Pidgin (still goes south even with 2.5.6)...

YMMV.

Beans

Bingo- Dell inspirion b130 has this chipset and this is a quick fix. running optimal, still a little slow but certainly tolerable. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Anyone using the new 2.6.29.4 Kernel for "Optimal"? Does it worth?

Beans

acer 5620z with x3100, kubuntu jaunty

had config:
    BoardName "965 GM"
    VendorName "Intel"
    Driver "intel"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
    Option "DRI" "true"
    Option "AccelMethod" "EXA"
    Option "NoAccel" "False"
    Option "MigrationHeuristic" "greedy"

glxgears ~700fps, ppracer ~25
    had trable with icons in tray

After "safe" patch have badly result:
    glxgears <600fps, ppracer ~20
    and have trable - after logout from kde, have blackscreen, keyboard and mouse don't work.
    Work only button "power off".
    But with this config I don't have trable with icons in tray.

Beans
    Distro

I've been following the optimal path since rc5.
    With rc5 i had tearing video in windows but finally could manage tear free fullscreen. I was excited to say the least!!
    Now with rc6 and rc7 the tearing is back all the time.
    Is this something i should bug report or is it a known thing?
    I'm using..
    Intel Corporation 82G35 Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbernardo View Post
    After 6-7 hours I got font corruption. Not in firefox (was closed at the time) but in konsole. Will now build rc7 with my config to see how it goes.
    I'm a developer and have reported the same here earlier. I can sit in gnome-terminal all day and have seen after about 5 hours that my terminal window fonts can start getting corrupted and my machine slows down. This is on all kernals up to rc6. I'll try rc7 now and see how it goes but not expecting much difference.

Page 58 of 134 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108 ... LastLast