Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

u're right i'm using uxa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi, When I installed the Jaunty initially everything was working fine. Then update-manager told me couple days ago there was xorg package update and I went ahead and did the update. Then I started having random freezes in the system.

I stumbled upon this forum to solve the problem and tried the "Safe" option.
    Initially, I didn't have /etc/X11/xorg.conf file(*) but when I did sudo apt-get dist-upgrade then I got a standard xorg.conf file and then I added the Device options into it. However, when I look into Xorg log, I see that the options are not accepted.

(WW) intel(0): Option "AccelMethod" is not used
    (WW) intel(0): Option "EXAOptimizeMigration" is not used
    (WW) intel(0): Option "MigrationHeuristic" is not used

The log file says UXA method is used for accelaration though:
    (--) intel(0): Using UXA for acceleration

Full contents of Xorg.log can be found here.
    Isn't UXA supposed to solve freeze problems? What am I doing wrong here?

-------------------------------
    Information about my system:

Code:
    $ lspci -nn | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device [8086:3582] (rev 02)
    My xorg.conf file (all of it!):
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Option		"AccelMethod"			"uxa"
    	Option		"EXAOptimizeMigration"		"true"
    	Option		"MigrationHeuristic"		"greedy"
    	Option		"Tiling"			"false" # i8xx users: set to false - i'm not sure if i'm i8xx (**)

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

(*) where's the config file located now, I read it's xml format, but where?
    (**) lsmod tells me that drm is using i915 module, does it mean I'm not i8xx ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

2.6.29.4 is out I think it'll be uploaded on Kernel PPA within tomorrow

Has anyone tried Mesa 7.4.2 (bugfixing release) ? I wonder if debs are already avaiable somewhere
    My favourite userbars: #1, #2, #3, #4
    Help me, pls!!!! Click here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Man, I did everything I could find to fix driver issues (including reverting to 2.4, which actually worsened performance), but my system still can't properly render 3d. The only 3d game I can play well is planet penguin racer. =/

Interestingly enough, the PlaneShift that refuses to render entirely works perfectly on my Windoze XP partition. I just hate booting into it.
    Pink Acer Aspire One, 1GB DDR2-533 RAM, Intel Atom N270 1.60GHz, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by alperyilmaz View Post
    Hi, When I installed the Jaunty initially everything was working fine. Then update-manager told me couple days ago there was xorg package update and I went ahead and did the update. Then I started having random freezes in the system.

I stumbled upon this forum to solve the problem and tried the "Safe" option.
    Initially, I didn't have /etc/X11/xorg.conf file(*) but when I did sudo apt-get dist-upgrade then I got a standard xorg.conf file and then I added the Device options into it. However, when I look into Xorg log, I see that the options are not accepted.

(WW) intel(0): Option "AccelMethod" is not used
    (WW) intel(0): Option "EXAOptimizeMigration" is not used
    (WW) intel(0): Option "MigrationHeuristic" is not used

The log file says UXA method is used for accelaration though:
    (--) intel(0): Using UXA for acceleration

Full contents of Xorg.log can be found here.
    Isn't UXA supposed to solve freeze problems? What am I doing wrong here?

Information about my system:

Code:
    $ lspci -nn | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device [8086:3582] (rev 02)
    My xorg.conf file (all of it!):
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Option		"AccelMethod"			"uxa"
    	Option		"EXAOptimizeMigration"		"true"
    	Option		"MigrationHeuristic"		"greedy"
    	Option		"Tiling"			"false" # i8xx users: set to false - i'm not sure if i'm i8xx (**)

EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

(*) where's the config file located now, I read it's xml format, but where?
    (**) lsmod tells me that drm is using i915 module, does it mean I'm not i8xx ?
    You probably followed the Bleeding-Edge configuration by accident (or were testing the Xorg-edgers repository before getting here). This guide assumes that you're using the regular Ubuntu version of everything when you begin, but this isn't true on your system. Those Xorg configuration warnings suggest that you are using the latest bleeding-edge driver which now only supports UXA acceleration. If you read the text of guide, you'll see that latest is not always greatest.

Follow the instructions to revert changes (make sure you're using the oficial Jaunty packages), and try again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Subscribing to thread the hard way because Ubuntuforums will not cooperate today. Annoying!
    || My blog ||

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The graphics performance is woeful in my dated Dell Dimension 3000 (Pentium 4), even without compiz, but it wasn't that way with Intrepid. Xorg is routinely using up 100% of my CPU.
    I've tried the "safe configuration" from the OP, and the problem remains and might be even worse. From changing tabs on Firefox to changing workspace, takes many seconds to complete such a process.

How do I go back to Intrepid video drivers?
    There are two sides to every story: my side and the wrong side.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by lethalfang View Post
    The graphics performance is woeful in my dated Dell Dimension 3000 (Pentium 4), even without compiz, but it wasn't that way with Intrepid. Xorg is routinely using up 100% of my CPU.
    I've tried the "safe configuration" from the OP, and the problem remains and might be even worse. From changing tabs on Firefox to changing workspace, takes many seconds to complete such a process.

How do I go back to Intrepid video drivers?
    You can't simply use the Intrepid drivers directly, as they're built against an older X server.

See the release notes for information on using an older driver rebuilt against Jaunty's X server.

P.S. Revert all changes from this guide beforehand, and this thread isn't the place to ask for help with the older driver.

Beans

I have a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop with an intel graphics chip. I followed the "safe" instructions and ended up with a black screen. I reverted my xorg.conf and my /etc/apt/source.list and updated. I restarted X and did some checking. I found that just running /usr/local/bin/fixmtrr.sh had fixed most of my painting problems. I decided to experiment with xorg.conf with the settings detailed in the instructions. When I did get X to start, one of my cores was eunning at 100% all the time, so I gain reverted xorg.conf. So most of my painting problems are solved with /usr/local/bin/fixmtrr.sh and the default xorg.cong. Interesting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thnks for this guide. i just want to ask if the GL screensavers built into ubuntu is a good benchmark of improvements?

It seems i didn't have any issues with my Intel graphics adapter when I initially installed jaunty. I used the Gl based screensavers as a reference and they seem pretty quick for me. (Im using a Intel 915G).

After doing the safe configuration stated in this guide, the rendering performance of the screensavers actually suffered so I had to revert back to the old configuration which was the default install of jaunty.

I find it really weird because the first time i used jaunty on my thinkpad x41 laptop, i had these Intel graphics problems however, the second time i installed, none of the problems manifested.

The only difference was that the first time i installed, the laptop was not plugged into the network and the second time was plugged into the network...

weird....

Page 54 of 134 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast