Page 33 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

I just wanted to share what I did, which is a tad bit different from what was recommended. Unfortunately, I did not have the patience to read 30+ pages on the topic so somebody else may have already point this out.

The two main differences from the OP is that I used X Updates instead of X Edgers and I put the MTRR fix into GDM's PreSession.

To find out the details visit my post on the topic. Thanks to the OP for providing such great information.

http://nnutter.com/2009/05/fix-poor-...nce-on-jaunty/

Beans

Smile Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Hi

I have the intel GM965/GL960 graphics card and since I upgraded from 8.04 to 9.04 my graphics were really bad and was very unstable, small things like maximizing and minimizing a window was a problem. BUT after following this fix tutorial everything is working just as well or even better that 8.04

Thanks psyke83 this was really helpfull

Beans

Warning: kernel 2.6.30_rc2 overheating issue

I took the steps in this guide and it totally fixed my sluggish graphics issues in Jaunty, which was great. However, kernel 2.6.30rc2 appears to break acpi-cpufreq (controls cpu scaling) which results in overheating issues with my laptop. (I have a C2D T8300 and GM965 graphics)

With kernel 2.6.30rc2 the cpu seems to ignore the scaling driver and always runs at the highest available frequency. Any changes to scaling through /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq appear to be ignored, as cpuinfo_cur_freq does not match scaling_cur_freq as it should. To confirm this I ran a benchmark setting scaling at fixed 800MHz and one setting at 2.4GHz. Both benchmarks returned more or less equal (+/- 1%), which clearly indicates that the scaling driver is not working as it should.

This problem is not present running with vanilla kernel 2.6.28-11-generic on the same computer. My THRM temperatures on 2.6.30 can run up to 20C hotter than 2.6.28 under similar conditions.

Anyway, just a warning to anyone who is using this fix, it might be damaging your laptop. I've reverted back to slow 2.6.28 for now.

Beans

Im using an nc10 netbook and just want to get vsync working for now with videos as the tearing is bad, i really don't want to mess with the system too much so i was wondering if there's any way to get a simple fix working for now without resorting to major changes?

Also any idea if or when there will be an official fix?

Thanks!
    Last edited by mag1; May 7th, 2009 at 03:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by nnutter View Post
    To find out the details visit my post on the topic. Thanks to the OP for providing such great information.http://nnutter.com/2009/05/fix-poor-...nce-on-jaunty/
    I followed those instructions and they were at least really improving ETuxRacer's performance. Can't tell about anything else yet cause I already updated the graphics-drivers from ubuntu-x-swat-repository a while ago.

One step I had to take in order to boot my machine into kernel 2.6.30 though:
    I've got my harddisk completely encrypted with dm-crypt and it normally asks for the passphrase on the splashscreen. Since the splashscreen isn't shown with kernel 2.6.30 I had to disable it to be able to enter my password and continue booting.

Everything else seems to be fine so far.

Thanks to everyone who's trying to figure out how to get the best performance and stability out of the Intel chips

Regards,
    Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I got my graphics running pretty well using this guide. I upgraded the kernel to 2.6.30-rc4. But now Ubuntu's update manager wants to install kernel 2.6.28-12. Is there a way to configure the update manager to ignore kernel updates (but also keep other important updates)?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by relgames View Post
    Anyone?.. This is really annoying...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=299
    No answers... I can't work, it's really slow.
    And it seems as "stand by" mode is broken.
    I'm reverting back to the old drivers, and, probably, to the version 8.10.

p.s.
    I moved from Windows to Ubuntu 8.10 in Feb, and I felt comfortable with it.
    But right now I'm more and more thinking about moving back to Windows. I just want to work on my laptop, not to doing hacks with drivers/XOrg/mtrr/etc.
    Also I do not recommend Ubuntu to my friends anymore.
    And I think, I'm not alone. And it's very sadly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by relgames View Post
    No answers... I can't work, it's really slow.
    And it seems as "stand by" mode is broken.
    I'm reverting back to the old drivers, and, probably, to the version 8.10.

p.s.
    I moved from Windows to Ubuntu 8.10 in Feb, and I felt comfortable with it.
    But right now I'm more and more thinking about moving back to Windows. I just want to work on my laptop, not to doing hacks with drivers/XOrg/mtrr/etc.
    Also I do not recommend Ubuntu to my friends anymore.
    And I think, I'm not alone. And it's very sadly.
    Hmm any reason why you can't use Intrepid if that run well? You are not alone, trust me

Beans

Kinda new to linux here. I was kinda disappointed in how my laptop was running. Firefox would not scroll right among other issues. I followed this guide and everything is running perfect and my jaunty is a whole different OS now. Thanks man.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This Howto gave me greatly improved performance but when shutting down the computer i get a loud "beep", like an alarm - very annoying. I decided to change back to the old version using the instructions in the first post but the "beep" is still there. Any suggestions?

Page 33 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast