Page 31 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

I used all the fixes in the first post, and the video is much smoother. However, the fan on my laptop is spinning much faster all the time. Instead of being inaudible at idle, it's spinning at about half its max speed. Opening or doing anything sends it into overdrive.

Anyone else experiencing this? The gain in video performance isn't worth the fan noise for me.

I'm using an HP NX 6110, Intel 915GM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robfindlay View Post
    Can someone describe how the MTRR issue manifests?

Amazingly somehow I have all the nifty desktop effects--even got it working on an external monitor--the only thing I see is on occasion the screen sort of flickers for a second.

Is that the MTRR issue?
    The MTRR issue was fixed in the latest intel drivers(2.7.x). Some reasons there are issues with mtrr's are because the graphics card shares memory with the system ram, but there is also ram in the cpu. If you have multiple cpus, it gets even more complicated because you may have 2 caches(cpu ram), and the system has to switch from cpu to cpu to access the video card memory, and if it's not there then it has to go to the system ram. Whereas a "normal" video card has it's own ram, processor, etc.
    Education is what remains after we forget everything we learned in school.

Beans

Problems with FONTS?!?

Hi, I applied the advice on my computer (ACER 4060, Intel 900), after experiencing jerky and jumpy playback on fullscreen mode for FLASH video.

It worked like a charm. Until a couple of days later I started to notice some weird behaviour with my fonts. Sometimes the fonts in Firefox get garbled, sometimes not. Today my terminal has all the fonts strangely aligned. Could this be related to the fix?

Anotherthing, why is it necessary to sudo fixntrr.sh everytime after startup to get the Flash in order?

best

Beans

thanks for this guide,but my 915GM/PM/GMS/910GML is not so happy for this guide.
    when i just reboot the machine after i setup all the steps on the 1st post,my machine runs flawlessly,and flash flies....but just use for about 1 or 2 hours,my machine begins lagging,it seems that there is a huge IO or the system keeping swap in and out.
    when i run "iotop -o",the IO r/w is very huge(around 2,3m/s),and interesting the huge IO is caused by many application(firefox,skype,pidgin and even gnome-terminal),but when i switch back to EXA,will not met this issue.
    unfortunately,when i update my machine to the newest packages on the xorg-edge yesterday, i cannot use EXA anymore,when i comment on the line Option "AccelMethod" "UXA" or just replace UXA to EXA,i always see
    intel(0): Using UXA for acceleration
    on the Xorg.0.log.and the IO problem always happened when i use my machine for several hours...

Beans

After I rebooted I get the following message:

mount: mounting /dev on /root/dev failed: No such file or directory
    mount: mounting /sys on /root/sys failed: No such file or directory
    mount: mounting /proc on /root/proc failed: No such file or directory

Target filesystem doesn't have /sbin/init
    No init found. Try passing init = bootarg

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by acroporas View Post
    I tried to follow the instructions in the first post:

I got to the last command in step #2 and it gave:

Code:
    william@emachine:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    [sudo] password for william: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
    The following packages have unmet dependencies:
      xserver-xorg-video-intel: Depends: libdrm-intel1 (>= 2.4.9) but 2.4.5-0ubuntu4 is installed
    E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
    I restarted the computer and tried again, and I got the same thing.

What should I do?
    same thing happened to me except with the 64bit versions

i noticed i got 404'd on a few of the files I was supposed to download

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

2 wyth:

Thank you!
    There is always a presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

There is only one issue that should be somehow fixed:
    There is no splash screen after these manipulations.

It's not so critical for me but is there a way to get it back?

Thank you, guys.
    There is always a presumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    Overview
    Some users are experiencing performance issues with Intel integrated graphics chips in Jaunty (9.04) for several possible reasons:

1. The current driver in our repository has some performance issues with the EXA acceleration method. Users will notice 2D performance is poor due to the default "migration heuristic" employed by EXA (to "always" migrate pixmaps), but this causes performance issues for many users. Setting the heuristic to "greedy" alleviates this problem somewhat. See "man exa".
    2. The new and faster acceleration method (UXA) is not enabled by default, due to issues reported by many users. This code is being actively developed, and many stability and performance issues have been resolved in the latest drivers (specifically within the intel driver, libdrm and the latest kernel 2.6.30-rc2). Unfortunately, Jaunty will not include the latest versions necessary to improve performance.
    3. 3D performance has regressed compared to the Intrepid release, possibly due to major code changes that have resulted from the introduction to the new acceleration and memory management code (UXA, GEM, DRI2). Due to these changes, there seems to be some regressions in the "legacy" DRI acceleration.
    4. Either Xorg or the "intel" driver seems to be suffering from a bug in which the memory region allocated for the graphics card is not set up with the proper type of caching. This results in jerky video playback of almost any content (from 720p media, all the way down to simple 320x240 mpeg content), and a potential loss of performance for other 2D and 3D operations.

The solution
    It is possible to overcome all of these issues if you are willing to install some third-party packages. It is necessary to install kernel 2.6.30-rc2 (due to performance improvements in the drm/i915 kernel modules), and updated libdrm and xserver-xorg-video-intel packages to improve UXA and DRI2 performance. Finally, you need to manually fix the MTRR range of your graphics adapter (until it's fixed in the driver).

If you're willing to test, the solution is documented below...

Disclaimer: This process is recommended only for users who feel comfortable working with the terminal. Since these packages have an unsupported status, do not file bugs on Launchpad unless you are using the official kernel and drivers from Jaunty.

1. Download & install the 2.6.30-rc2 kernel:

i386 users:
      Code:
      $ wget -c http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.30-rc2/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630rc2-generic_2.6.30-020630rc2_i386.deb http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.30-rc2/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630rc2_2.6.30-020630rc2_all.deb http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.30-rc2/linux-image-2.6.30-020630rc2-generic_2.6.30-020630rc2_i386.deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libd/libdrm/libdrm2_2.4.9-1_i386.deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libd/libdrm/libdrm-intel1_2.4.9-1_i386.deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xserver-xorg-video-intel/xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.7.0-1_i386.deb
      $ sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-2.6.30-020630rc2_2.6.30-020630rc2_all.deb linux-headers-2.6.30-020630rc2-generic_2.6.30-020630rc2_i386.deb linux-image-2.6.30-020630rc2-generic_2.6.30-020630rc2_i386.deb libdrm2_2.4.9-1_i386.deb libdrm-intel1_2.4.9-1_i386.deb xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.7.0-1_i386.deb
      amd64 users:
      Code:
      $ wget -c http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.30-rc2/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630rc2-generic_2.6.30-020630rc2_amd64.deb http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.30-rc2/linux-headers-2.6.30-020630rc2_2.6.30-020630rc2_all.deb http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.30-rc2/linux-image-2.6.30-020630rc2-generic_2.6.30-020630rc2_amd64.deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libd/libdrm/libdrm2_2.4.9-1_amd64.deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/libd/libdrm/libdrm-intel1_2.4.9-1_amd64.deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xserver-xorg-video-intel/xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.7.0-1_amd64.deb
      $ sudo dpkg -i linux-headers-2.6.30-020630rc2_2.6.30-020630rc2_all.deb linux-headers-2.6.30-020630rc2-generic_2.6.30-020630rc2_amd64.deb linux-image-2.6.30-020630rc2-generic_2.6.30-020630rc2_amd64.deb libdrm-intel1_2.4.9-1_amd64.deb xserver-xorg-video-intel_2.7.0-1_amd64.deb
    2. Next you need to add the xorg-edgers PPA in order to avail of updated graphics drivers.

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list:
      Code:
      $ gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
      Append the following text into the end of this file, then save and close:
      Code:
      deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main #xorg-edgers PPA
      deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main #xorg-edgers PPA
      Import the xorg-edgers key, update your apt sources, and perform an upgrade:
      Code:
      $ sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com 165d673674a995b3e64bf0cf4f191a5a8844c542
      $ sudo apt-get update
      $ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
      N.B.: If you are asked to remove any packages, immediately cancel the process. The expected behaviour is only to upgrade packages, not to remove.

3. In this step you will edit your xorg.conf and enable UXA acceleration as well as some other configuration options that are important.

Edit your xorg.conf:
      Code:
      $ gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
      Find the "Devices" section and make sure it looks identical to the following (remove or comment any of your previous customizations):
      Code:
      Section "Device"
      	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
      	Option		"AccelMethod"			"uxa"
      	Option		"EXAOptimizeMigration"		"true"
      	Option		"MigrationHeuristic"		"greedy"
      	Option		"Tiling"			"false" # may break 3D rendering if enabled
      EndSection
      N.B.: The EXAOptimizeMigration and MigrationHeuristic options have no effect when using UXA acceleration. They will improve performance if you revert to EXA acceleration, however.

4. To fix the MTRR issue you will need two pieces of information - the address and size of your graphics adapter's prefetchable memory region.

Run the following command:
      Code:
      $ lspci -v
      Find the section beginning with "VGA compatible controller" that lists your graphics adapter, and look for the "Memory at" entry that mentions prefetchable memory. Here's an example from my laptop:
      Code:
      00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
      	Subsystem: Dell Device 0164
      	Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 11
      	Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=128M]
      	Memory at faf80000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
      	I/O ports at c000 [size=8]
      	Capabilities: <access denied>
      	Kernel modules: intelfb
      Unfortunately, you need to convert the size from MB notation to hexadecimal notation. For your convenience, here is a conversion table:
      Code:
      512MB = 0x20000000
      256MB = 0x10000000
      128MB = 0x08000000
      64MB  = 0x04000000
      32MB  = 0x02000000
      16MB  = 0x01000000
      In the case of my laptop, therefore, the address is 0xF0000000 and the size is 0x08000000.

5. Create a new file called fixmtrr.sh:
      Code:
      $ gksudo gedit /usr/local/bin/fixmtrr.sh
      Paste:
      Code:
      echo "Before:"
      echo "-------"
      cat /proc/mtrr
      echo "base=<your base memory> size=<your memory size> type=write-combining" >| /proc/mtrr

echo ""
      echo "After:"
      echo "------"
      cat /proc/mtrr
      Before saving, edit the parts in bold to reflect the memory address and size you discovered in the last step. In the example case of my laptop, that line would read:
      Code:
      echo "base=0xF0000000 size=0x08000000 type=write-combining" >| /proc/mtrr
      Finally, make the script executable:
      Code:
      $ sudo chmod +x /usr/local/bin/fixmtrr.sh
    6. Reboot into the new 2.6.30-rc2 kernel.

Providing that your system boots normally, execute the "fixmtrr.sh" script (it's necessary to fix upon each restart of X), and do some testing!
      Code:
      $ sudo fixmtrr.sh
      N.B.: Ensure the output of this script shows a write-combining entry for your graphics hardware in the "After" part.

7. (Optional). Enable "Tiling" in your xorg.conf (see Step 3), and re-test 3D rendering after restarting X.

Unfortunately, enabling tiling in the Intel driver breaks 3D rendering on my laptop (855GM), so I decided to disable tiling in the guide to ensure as many users as possible could get 3D working as soon as possible. I highly recommend you try to enable tiling, however, as it should improve performance (provided that it functions properly for your system).

Interpreting performance gains
    Please don't trust the results of glxgears, for heaven's sake! For a long time the developers have asked users to stop interpreting performance from this program, but it's more important now than ever. I recommend you test PlanetPenguin Racer instead (it's not perfect, but it's a better real-world test).

For comparison's sake, here's a rough outline of my performance results on my Inspiron 510m laptop with a Pentium M 1.5Ghz, 768MB ram and Intel 855GM chipset:
    Intrepid: glxgears = ~1000fps, ppracer = ~23fps.
    Jaunty (default configuration): glxgears = ~300fps, ppracer = ~19fps
    Jaunty (with changes outlined here): glxgears = ~340fps, ppracer = ~30fps

As you can see, glxgears does not accurately portray the improvement gained from testing the latest DRI2/UXA code.

To revert settings:
    If this solution didn't work for you, this is how to revert changes.

1. Edit your sources.list:
      Code:
      $ gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
      Remove the two xorg-edgers lines, then save and close.

2. Downgrade packages:
      Code:
      $ sudo apt-get update
      $ sudo apt-get install libdrm-dev/jaunty libdrm2/jaunty libdrm-intel1/jaunty xserver-xorg-video-intel/jaunty libdrm-nouveau1/jaunty libgl1-mesa-dri/jaunty libgl1-mesa-glx/jaunty libgl1-mesa-dev/jaunty libglu1-mesa/jaunty mesa-common-dev/jaunty mesa-utils/jaunty
      N.B.: Ensure that packages are only downgraded, not removed. Otherwise cancel the process.

3. Remove the 2.6.30-rc2 kernel:
      Code:
      $ sudo dpkg -r linux-headers-2.6.30-020630rc2 linux-headers-2.6.30-020630rc2-generic linux-image-2.6.30-020630rc2-generic
    4. Reset your xorg.conf to defaults:
      Code:
      $ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Your system will then be restored to normal.
    Tried the above and it works after a fashiion. I get lots of errors and messages during boot-up.
    Running in low-graphics mode
    There already appears to be an X-server running on display:0 Should another display number be tried. If I select yes more messages and eventually gets to the login screen.
    Also get message, The greeter application appears to be crashing.
    Any ideas as how I can fix these boot-up glitches??
    Once running scrolling in the autocad program QCad works really well. Before it was slow and jerky.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheExplorer View Post
    There is only one issue that should be somehow fixed:
    There is no splash screen after these manipulations.

It's not so critical for me but is there a way to get it back?

Thank you, guys.
    No, no splash screen with these testing kernels. I'm not sure if it'll be there with the final release, but once the final release of 2.6.30 makes it into the regular repos, it'll be there.
    Lenovo Y510 | Ubuntu 14.04 | 1.6 GHz Pentium Dual T2330 | 4 gig RAM | Intel X3100 gfx | 250GB 5400 RPM hard drive.

Gunga galunga...gunga- gunga lagunga.

Page 31 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast