Page 27 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Any word on an update to fix this? I don't think folks should have to tinker around with the operating system to get basic 3d graphics. And Intel graphics are pretty basic.
    Last edited by Mr_bleu; May 3rd, 2009 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Added "3d".
    E1505 Core 2 Duo T7200 2gb 667 mhz Ram Intel 945gm chipset

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

First of all: thank you very much for this thread. It fixed BroodWar, as well as other things that got slowed down badly.

Second, you mention that it is necessary to run the script after each re-start of the X server. I was wondering what was the recommended method for doing that automatically.

Thanks in advance =)

Beans

I agree this must be fixed by an update that does not require manual tinkering....

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by quackeroni_pizza View Post
    I agree this must be fixed by an update that does not require manual tinkering....
    Actually if you are running the newer G31/35 and above series chip, all you have to do is to enable uxa in xorg, no need to update xorg or kernel, everything works fine, Google Earth, Penguin racer etc. Best of all no crashes. I haven't tried the kernel way but using newer xorg from ppa made the system unusable and I had to revert back to the xorg supplied with Jaunty. For older chipsets and other 9xx series Intel, you have no resort but to go the recommended way of changing kernel and driver and then applying mttr fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm pretty new to this issue, but enabling UXA in xorg.conf already boosted performance a lot. No more sloppy windows and grinding to a halt when a lot of effects are going on ...

Intel 945GM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I am also curious if there is going to be an update to fix this bug. For the moment I have reverted back to the older Intel driver because I haven't had time to tinker with these fixes yet, but it would be nice to know that the Ubuntu folks are working on this and plan to come up with a real fix. Any way to find out what's going on with it?

Beans

I'm getting 10fps on penguin racer, sometimes 15.
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Section "Device"
    Identifier "intel"
    Driver "intel"
    Option "AccelMethod" "UXA"
    Option "XvMC" "true"
    Option "Tiling" "false"
    EndSection

I ran the Nexuiz timedemo and got 23fps average on 640x480. Desktop effects are working after doing some other fix. Open-arena runs great at full 1280x800. Google Earth works well, as does glest, chromium, lincity-ng, and flash, mpeg video, etc. Glxgears gets 593fps.

This is for a:Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

I am using the stock jaunty kernel, stock intel driver, etc.
    Education is what remains after we forget everything we learned in school.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why would you possibly recommend manual mtrr setup when you can just boot with enable_mtrr_cleanup to get the same results without the chance of screwing anything up? I have to use enable_mtrr_cleanup mtrr_spare_reg_nr=1 on all my ubuntu stock kernels where those options aren't enabled by default, but I use an aspire one with a bug that has a full mtrr list so I need that spare reg.

Also note EXA support is dropped in the xserver-xorg-video-intel drivers in xorg-edgers now, my package on 042709 was the last one with EXA support. I wouldn't recommend disabling tiling unless absolutely required, there have been major changes in that area lately and disabling it would help far fewer than it'd hurt in my opinion (aka only really needed on 8xx series right now last I checked).
    Last edited by Sarvatt; May 3rd, 2009 at 06:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Sarvatt View Post
    Why would you possibly recommend manual mtrr setup when you can just boot with enable_mtrr_cleanup to get the same results without the chance of screwing anything up? I have to use enable_mtrr_cleanup mtrr_spare_reg_nr=1 on all my ubuntu stock kernels where those options aren't enabled by default, but I use an aspire one with a bug that has a full mtrr list so I need that spare reg.

Also note EXA support is dropped in the xserver-xorg-video-intel drivers in xorg-edgers now, my package on 042709 was the last one with EXA support. I wouldn't recommend disabling tiling unless absolutely required, there have been major changes in that area lately and disabling it would help far fewer than it'd hurt in my opinion (aka only really needed on 8xx series right now last I checked).
    The enable_mtrr_cleanup does *not* solve this issue. With kernel 2.6.28, the write-combining range is never set. With the 2.6.30 kernel, write-combining is correctly set upon the first initialization of X, but the write-combining range will disappear upon restarting X. The script therefore has a purpose (but could be improved to only set the write-combining range when necessary). Of course, getting this fixed the correct way is more important, and you can see a bug is filed and triaged.

As for the tiling issue, I have an 855GM chipset and can confirm that tiling breaks my setup. Therefore, I ensured the guide is conservative (i.e., works for as many people as possible), with the added instructions to re-enable tiling only after it has been verified that direct rendering otherwise works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by treesurf View Post
    I am also curious if there is going to be an update to fix this bug. For the moment I have reverted back to the older Intel driver because I haven't had time to tinker with these fixes yet, but it would be nice to know that the Ubuntu folks are working on this and plan to come up with a real fix. Any way to find out what's going on with it?
    that seems like a more doable solution for me, can you explain how to do that?

i have Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV

Page 27 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast