Page 121 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1334

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Quote Originally Posted by solitaire View Post
    I updated to the same kernel as karmic and the Xorg-Edgers drivers worked, but the new kernel does not have the module for my laptops wireless card!

need to work out how to get the drivers! (I'm currently running my Karmic install till I can get Jaunty working again!).
    So you are saying the Karmic kernel has the necessary driver in a Karmic installation, but not when you use it in Jaunty? Or does "same kernel as karmic" not mean the karmic kernel? Well hard to guess any further since you don't even mention the name of the card or driver involved...
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Yesterday I updated many packages, and xorg-video-intel was among them. And I think that is the source of my problem now.

When I boot my Ubuntu Jaunty, I get this message:
    Code:
    Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode
    The following error was encountered. You may need to update your configuration to solve this.

(EE) intel(0): No kernel modesetting driver detected.
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    After that I can choose from several options: reconfigure graphics (it doesn't help), go back to the console login, or to start ubuntu in low-graphics mode (that's what I am doing now). If I start in low-graphics mode, everything works good, but in a small (about 640x480) window in the center of the screen. Borders are black.

How can I solve this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by quebeck5 View Post
    go to http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

download whatever kernel you want. for the very latest one the directory you should be in is
    http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...daily/current/

download 3 files for the architecture of your computer. for me (i386), that's the

linux-image....i386.deb
    linux-headers...i386.deb

and

linux-headers....all.deb (that's for both archtiectures)

once you've downloaded them somewhere, run in the directory they are in:

sudo dpkg -i file1 file2 file3

then restart.
    Thanks a lot, that did the trick

@areskz: You should try this. You're getting the same error message I was having.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by areskz View Post
    Yesterday I updated many packages, and xorg-video-intel was among them. And I think that is the source of my problem now.

When I boot my Ubuntu Jaunty, I get this message:
    Code:
    Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode
    The following error was encountered. You may need to update your configuration to solve this.

(EE) intel(0): No kernel modesetting driver detected.
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.
    After that I can choose from several options: reconfigure graphics (it doesn't help), go back to the console login, or to start ubuntu in low-graphics mode (that's what I am doing now). If I start in low-graphics mode, everything works good, but in a small (about 640x480) window in the center of the screen. Borders are black.

How can I solve this?
    First step: follow the instructions in the original post to downgrade from xorg edgers to the jaunty default. (open sources.list with nano or vi rather than gedit) Be sure that, if it says it will remove any packages, that you look for anything that is libglu1 or mesa or anything else that looks like the stuff you are trying to downgrade. If so, cancel the operation then try again with downgrading those packages as well, so that you don't end up removing any packages.

Then run an update and full upgrade to make sure you have the latest versions of everything

You will have to do all this from the command line, so make sure you have a wired internet connection (or some way to get wireless working, though its not really worth the effort)

Anyone know any more stable xorg packages that work about as well as the xorg edgers? They've worked great, but this is the second time this has happened. The new default packages are tolerable, but there's still some lag and artifacting in plasma.

Edit: Sorry, you're in a better position than I was. I couldn't get any gui. So, you won't have the editor or wireless issues, but otherwise, that's pretty much how to solve the problem until its fixed on the dev side.
    Last edited by SteveMcQwark; October 12th, 2009 at 04:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Something I did ages ago was to make a Clonezilla image of Jaunty prior to any fixes from this thread. I initially used the Safe Configuration and it still works fine with my 945GZM-S2 Gigabyte board after the latest updates for Ubuntu, which were pretty big. I can't remember the extent of them.
    The difference between wisdom and foolishness? Wisdom knows how foolish it is.

Beans

Please Read the Fine Manual, thank you

I am glad there are so many helpful people here and people willing to test out the latest development drivers. However there is a lot of misinformed and bad advice given in the forums.

1. Read random postings with a great portion of skepticism and caution
    2. Be careful when posting information, at least take the time to look up information given in earlier posts and try to find official documentation

Now, to the issues some people have with the latest -intel drivers from xorg-edgers:

1. It is all explained on the xorg-edgers PPA page
    2. It has also been reported in launchpad #447181 (how I found this thread)
    3. There is nothing wrong with the driver that needs to / will be fixed
    4. The latest -intel drivers have dropped support for UMS (user mode setting) and only use KMS (kernel mode setting) so the kernel has to run with KMS enabled
    5. The Jaunty kernel needs the "i915.modeset=1" boot option to enable KMS
    6. Karmic kernels have KMS enabled by default. They also contain many fixes to the kernel part of the intel driver stack.

I see that some people simply refuse to look up the PPA page (it is linked from the instructions in the first post) so I will explain:

The xorg-edgers PPA tracks the work of the developers. It can be expected that it breaks for some users from time to time, since any developer can not test his changes on all hardware. You are providing this testing and it is highly appreciated. The idea is that you provide bug reports if something does not work. It is also expected that you know how to revert to the last working version in this case.
    Last edited by tormod; November 3rd, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
    Please use launchpad to search for/report bugs and problems: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

SteveMcQwark, thanks alot. Downgrading solved the problem. Updating is an evil.

Beans

Unhappy Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Hi,
    am a new user on ubuntu have little situation here.

i installed ubuntu 9.0.4 and it installed the driver software for all cards automaticly ,
    but a got a problem which is the desktop resolution is very low and the graphics looks badly.
    even i makes comperhensive update to the system the problem still same.

i went to see the hardware i found it istalled correctly which is

Nvidia geforce fx 5500 version 173

but am using WEGASONIC LCD monitor 21 Inch

i entered the display option from the menu preferences it tells that the monitor is unknown !!!!

how to install this monitor to solve the problem please ??????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by samisomy View Post
    Hi,
    am a new user on ubuntu have little situation here.
    This thread only deals with Intel integrated graphics. I suggest you create a new thread with your problem here or here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    This thread only deals with Intel integrated graphics. I suggest you create a new thread with your problem here or here.

thanks

Page 121 of 134 FirstFirst ... 2171111119120121122123131 ... LastLast