Page 12 of 134 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
    Base install of Jaunty with Compiz enabled had lots of lag/sluggishness. The mtrr fix (see first post) + adding below lines to /etc/X11/xorg.conf has improved the performance a lot:

Code:
    Section "Device"
            Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
            Option          "EXAOptimizeMigration"          "true"
            Option          "MigrationHeuristic"            "greedy"
    EndSection
    I removed the tiling option since it caused slowness. No kernel changes or downgrading of Intel drivers was done. Hope this is useful to anyone with similar graphics.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_bleu View Post
    I formatted and installed 8.10. Game's working again. Sad that Jaunty was released and crippled intel's already poor 3d graphics. I tried both rc2 and rc3 kernels. And a few different "fixes" from this thread. I've installed the latest version of Ubuntu each time they release one since 6.04.
    Actually its my observation that on Intel cards, Hardy runs best.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

On a Acer Aspire One, running jaunty with kernel 2.6.28sickboy-kuki (have yet to try with 2.6.30rc, as recommended here) I get 31FPS in glblur with EXA and 14 with UXA, even with xorg-edgers ppa drivers.

Code:
    /usr/lib/xscreensaver/glblur -window -fps
    For now things are good enough with exa.

ppracer gave me 7-12 fps with exa, 3-5 with uxa. Time to download and test kernel 2.6.30 with sickboy config.
    Last edited by jbernardo; April 26th, 2009 at 11:35 AM.

Beans

I'm a noob. I'm reluctant to upgrade the kernel and would like to use 2.6.28-11 first but with latest intel video drivers. I updated my PPA list, imported the PGP key, but can't seem to figure out how to install the driver. If someone could nudge me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by kennyschiff View Post
    I'm a noob. I'm reluctant to upgrade the kernel and would like to use 2.6.28-11 first but with latest intel video drivers. I updated my PPA list, imported the PGP key, but can't seem to figure out how to install the driver. If someone could nudge me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
    Just go to System -> Administration -> Updates and refresh it.
    The system will show you the newest Intel video driver in case if you've added the PPA properly.
    It didn't make any difference to me using the new (2.7) video driver with the default kernel in Jaunty, though.

PS: Like Mr_bleu I've always installed the latest version of Ubuntu each time they released one, but now I'm really thinking about going back to Intrepid or Hardy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Alright, so I tried this, but it screwed up my wifi drivers so I reverted. But now, i see a bunch of text every time I boot up telling me what the computer is doing. How do I turn this back off???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Smile Re: HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide

Just reporting that using xserver-xorg-video-intel 2.7 and kernel 2.6.30-rc3 seems to have fixed my vsync and occasional pixel distortion problems on G45 (X4500HD, EXA, 64-bit Kubuntu)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    Just reporting that using xserver-xorg-video-intel 2.7 and kernel 2.6.30-rc3 seems to have fixed my vsync and occasional pixel distortion problems on G45 (X4500HD, EXA, 64-bit Kubuntu)
    Great! Does updating kernel have any disadventages? Do Ubuntu use some patches in their kernel which I'll miss when updating it? If so, what are they?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pappfer View Post
    Great! Does updating kernel have any disadventages? Do Ubuntu use some patches in their kernel which I'll miss when updating it? If so, what are they?
    Yes. The kernel is a bleeding-edge release candidate, and it's not supported at all. Don't bother filing any bugs on Launchpad with this kernel (and drivers from the PPA), don't expect usplash to work, don't be surprised if some restricted/wifi drivers don't work, etc.

The guide has downgrade instructions to restore your system to normal for a reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    2.6.30-rc3 has a performance regression compared to 2.6.30-rc2, which is why I didn't update the instructions to install the newer kernel.

Page 12 of 134 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast