Thread: 9.04 no amd

Beans

9.04 no amd

It says my 9.04 does not support fgrlx. Does this mean I'll have no graphics card support?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: 9.04 no amd

What's your graphics card? One of the ATI cards? Have you gone to System > Admin > Hardware drivers and installed what it recommends?

Beans

Don't do that! Those proprietary drivers are not ready yet. There are numerous problems with slowness, window manager aborts, it doesn't support dual monitors, etc. The open source drivers are more stable at this time but they don't do any of the fancy graphics (compiz and the like). At this time I'd rather a driver that supports dual monitors over one that does eye candy but crashes.

Oh and if you install via Hardware Drivers be aware you cannot back out via Hardware Drivers. You have to uninstall xserver-xorg-fgrlx, xserver-xorg-ati and xserver-xorg-radeon then reinstall xserver-xorg-ati and xserver-xorg-radeon to recover.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Cheers for the heads-up. Sounds like a mess. Hope they sort the ATI cards out one day though, it'd be nice to have some choice about what card to buy!