Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Jaunty 9.04 Sound Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAngel88 View Post
    Thanks for your reply markbuntu !

I'm currently using kernel 2.6.30-rc2 as I'm also having issues with my intel graphic card. Tried with 2.6.28 (stock one from jaunty) and I'm still having the issues. VLC is indeed using pulseaudio output. About the simultaneous outputs, I haven't played with this so my guess is that it's the default values...

I just wish I haven't upgraded to 9.04 !! I'm having weird issues that wasn't part of 8.10 !! Do you know what have changed in 0.9.15 exactly ?
    A lot has changed in Jaunty. ALSA 1.0.18 and Pulse 0.9.14 which both have a lot of changes since Intrepid. Also changed was a lot of the xine libs which vlc and KDE4/Phonon use and a lot of changes have been implemented in the kernel as well. I have found that changing settings in the xine-ui is necessary to change the xine defaults for amarok so you might want to try that for vlc.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by markbuntu View Post
    Did you try moving the playing streams to the usb device in the pulseaudio volume control?
    Yes, I did. I have 3 sound devices on my laptop: small built-in HDA speakers, a USB headset VXI and USB speakers Genius. The first two work all-right, but my USB speakers (which I obviously want to make the default sound device) produce no sound, and moving sound streams doesn't help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by alex777 View Post
    Yes, I did. I have 3 sound devices on my laptop: small built-in HDA speakers, a USB headset VXI and USB speakers Genius. The first two work all-right, but my USB speakers (which I obviously want to make the default sound device) produce no sound, and moving sound streams doesn't help.
    I know that some logitech usb speaker sets do not work because they are not usb standard compliant and in windows require a special driver which is not available for linux. Perhaps you have a similar problem since your other devices seem to be working fine.

Do the speakers show up in the volume controls?
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Do the speakers show up in the volume controls?
    markbuntu, thank you for your assistance! My usb speakers suddenly started working and after a while I figured out what they wanted me to do That's a minor problem, and I don't know why, but after each reboot the speakers need to be turned off and then on again (by pressing a button on one of the speakers). They just probably want to draw my attention this way so I don't forget about them

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by alex777 View Post
    markbuntu, thank you for your assistance! My usb speakers suddenly started working and after a while I figured out what they wanted me to do That's a minor problem, and I don't know why, but after each reboot the speakers need to be turned off and then on again (by pressing a button on one of the speakers). They just probably want to draw my attention this way so I don't forget about them
    Your speakers sound like a needy girlfriend.
    MacPro 5,1 - 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, AMD HD 7970
    Optical-Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SSUBX Apple SSD, 4TB WD, 4TB Barracuda
    Sonnet Allegro Pro USB 3.0/SOLO-X2/OS X 10.11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

There are some patches from the alsa devs making their way into the update pool, when they will be released in updates I do not know.

That said I think that many machines will still need specific options manually entered in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base because of the difficulty in autodetecting the zillion configurations OEMs have used to tweak their hda sound chips.

Most OEMs are not very forthcoming about this information so if you want to help out please bug your manufacturer to publish the specs or at least send them to the alsa devs so proper drivers can be implemented.
    hmm, thanks for the info. I'll be waiting for implementation of fixes patiently...

-moose
    Last edited by mozychan; May 7th, 2009 at 04:05 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded to Jaunty and have been having a heck of a time making sound work. I have read through these forums and tried to use the guides but with no luck. Here is what I suspect. When I click on pulse audio volume control and look at the output devices, I only see "simultaneous output" That is, no hardware output devices. I do see things like ALSA firefox plugin and totem in the playback tab, and the bar in moving, so sound is going in. I think the reason it is not getting out is it can't find my hardware sound card.

This is supported to a degree by the fact that I cant find this file.

/user/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/ALSA-Configuration.tar.gz

or even the /driver directory.

I can get sound sometime usings HDA... anolog OSS in instead of Pulse audio in the chooser. I can get sound files to play, but not sound from my bowser (Youtube, for example.)

I am at a loss and any kind advice you have would be appreicated. I am using a Dell latitude D520, and every worked fine before the upgrade.

Thanks so much for the help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by FredBarns View Post
    Hi everyone,

I just upgraded to Jaunty and have been having a heck of a time making sound work. I have read through these forums and tried to use the guides but with no luck. Here is what I suspect. When I click on pulse audio volume control and look at the output devices, I only see "simultaneous output" That is, no hardware output devices. I do see things like ALSA firefox plugin and totem in the playback tab, and the bar in moving, so sound is going in. I think the reason it is not getting out is it can't find my hardware sound card.

This is supported to a degree by the fact that I cant find this file.

/user/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/ALSA-Configuration.tar.gz

or even the /driver directory.

I can get sound sometime usings HDA... anolog OSS in instead of Pulse audio in the chooser. I can get sound files to play, but not sound from my bowser (Youtube, for example.)

I am at a loss and any kind advice you have would be appreicated. I am using a Dell latitude D520, and every worked fine before the upgrade.

Thanks so much for the help.
    This seems to be a problem with some upgrades, not really common but not so rare either. What you should do is to reinstall alsa completely so any leftover configs can also be purged.

(1) Remove the ALSA packages. From a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
    (2) Reinstall the same packages
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
    Packages gdm and ubuntu-desktop are also removed in this process if you are using Gnome. They need to be reinstalled:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gdm ubuntu-desktop
    If you are using xubuntu this will also happen to you
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gdm xubuntu-desktop
    (3) Reboot.

If you needed to edit your /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file you may not have to with the updated driver but if you still do the file in Jaunty is is /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf. This is to conform to configuration file naming conventions.

Then follow the guide. let me know how this works out for you.
    PMs will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Dear Markbuntu,

Thanks so much for the response. I did what you suggest, but no joy.

I have set all my sound preferences under the "device" tab to "pulse audio sever" except default mixer tracks that I have set to "capture:HDA intel - stack92xx analog (PulseAudio Mixer)" which is the closest thing to name of my sound card that I can find her.

when I hit the test buttons I get silence. If I change them choices to HDA intel stack92xx Analog (OSS) I do get sound when I click the buttons. This also makes my MP3's play when loaded in player, but I stil do not get any sound from Firefox.

Should I be seeing a hardway output devices at all in pulse audio volume control? I only see "simultanious output"

could it just be that my flash plugin is broken, I wonder? Settin my prefereces to OSS does not follow the guides, so it seems something else must be wrong.

What do you think?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Try turning off the simultaneous output and any rtp settings in the Configure Local Sound Server from the padevchooser and logout and login.
    PMs will be ignored.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast