Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jaunty's update notifier

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Jaunty's update notifier

Has anyone had probs with Jaunty notifying you of updates? I have Jaunty on 2 computers and have to start Update Manager on both to see if there is updates.
    MCP, A+/Linux+ Certified IT Technician
    System Specs | Dress up your "Super Button" FREE
    "If sometimes you can't be good, then be VERY good at being naughty!"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Jaunty's update notifier

I also have two laptops wth jaunty (one is an upgrade from intrepid and the other a clean install of alpha 6, but updated) and I never see the updates though update-notifier is included in the startup applications...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The default settings have been changed to work better with the new notification framework. To revert to the old settings with the icon in the panel to show updates, open a terminal and run
    Code:
    gconftool -s --type bool /apps/update-notifier/auto_launch false
    After a reboot, the old settings will take effect.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 67GTA View Post
    The default settings have been changed to work better with the new notification framework. To revert to the old settings with the icon in the panel to show updates, open a terminal and run
    Code:
    After a reboot, the old settings will take effect.
    Wait! So they decided not to run automatic updates at all in order for it to "work better" with the new notification framework? Seems a little odd to me.

But thank you for the tip.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by justinjstark View Post
    Wait! So they decided not to run automatic updates at all in order for it to "work better" with the new notification framework? Seems a little odd to me.

But thank you for the tip.
    This is taken from the release notes:
    Ubuntu 9.04 introduces a change to the handling of package updates, launching update-manager directly instead of displaying a notification icon in the GNOME panel. Users will still be notified of security updates on a daily basis, but for updates that are not security-related, users will only be prompted once a week.Users who wish to continue receiving update notifications in the previous manner can restore the earlier behavior using the following command:

Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

Beans

what a regression!

Now there's yet one more task to run before I can get Ubuntu in a good state after install. Annoying.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Jaunty's update notifier

Quote Originally Posted by svaens View Post
    what a regression!

Now there's yet one more task to run before I can get Ubuntu in a good state after install. Annoying.
    Agreed. While I usually stand behind Ubuntu's decisions, this one just seems silly!

Why couldn't they leave the icon AND add the new notifier capability? Are the two ideas not compatible? I don't see what that little icon there would hurt anyway, especially if the reason was that people were not noticing it in the first place!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by svaens View Post
    what a regression!

You must have misunderstood the release note quote that Partyboi2 posted. This is no regression, but a perfectly good development, imo. You still get notified for security updates daily, but non-security related updates only weekly. For me this fixes the irritating daily hassle about non-critical updates.

When you do a fresh install, good practice demands that the first thing you should do is a manual update without being prompted, whatever the OS. So true for Windows too and true for MacOS. I see no reason to be annoyed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I think a simple checkbox in one of the applets (Software Sources) would do the trick.

Something like - Only notify Weekly of non-security updates.

I prefer daily, but I can see why you newer and more basic users would get annoyed with having to do something every day to keep their OS up to date.

Steve

Aearenda is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The annoying thing for me is the way the Update Manager pops up a window when there are updates. I can just imagine it happening in front of a roomful of people during a completely unrelated presentation, making the presenter look like a fool.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast