Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best MP3 Player (External Hardware Device) for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Question Best MP3 Player (External Hardware Device) for Ubuntu?

Hi All,

My iPOD Nano finally died - will co$t way too much to fix. Bought it when I was a windows user. I'd like to switch to a non-Apple device. Something that will sync well with Rhythmbox, or Amarok, etc. Anyone have a recommendation?

I'm looking just for audio, not video and maybe a radio would also be nice.

- CH
    Linux Registered User #434330

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Best MP3 Player (External Hardware Device) for Ubuntu?

Cowon makes music players that have Linux support... the Sansa Fuze is also supported in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I just bought the Sansa Fuze and I love it. It does everything I care about and it supports open standards and formats (uses MTP and supports Ogg Vorbis + FLAC). It's slick, lightweight and the controls are very nice.

Definitely recommended.
    On strike during the Oneiric cycle due to ungratefulness of Ubuntu.

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The Creative Zens will sync quite happily with Amarok. You'll need iriverter and gnomad2 to re-encode and transfer video, repectively.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I second the Sansa Fuze. Small and slick. Has mSD most importantly (imo). 4GB for $50 on sale.

Personally, I'm using the discontinued but still available Sansa e-series (e260) until I figure out what I want next. It definitely is old, like 1st gen Nano old. And the quality is half as good as SanDisk's new line (Clip, Fuze, View). I got it $50 4GB quite a while ago. If you just want a simple player, the Fuze is obviously better as it's the replacement for the e-series. But the reason I got it was because of the RockBox custom firmware. It's like Dark_Alex to the PSP. I mean, who knew you could run Doom on a tiny little mp3 player.
    ndrw.me | Twitter
    Ubuntu + Vista | Dell Vostro 1500 | C2D 1.4GHz | 2GB | 120GB | nVidia 8400m GS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Best MP3 Player (External Hardware Device) for Ubuntu?

Before I got my ipod nano 16gb, I had a Creative Labs MuVo v100 1GB mp3 player, and then about 6 months later I bought another one (MuVo) becuase I wanted something with more storage capacity.

The MuVo v100 is a usb device and mounts up automatically as a standard flash drive, so you can easily drag and drop your music on to your player, or you can use an application to manage your music such as Rhythmbox.

8gb ipod nano runs about $130.00 US Dollars
    16gb ipod nano runs about $175.00 US Dollars
    2gb creative muvo, if you can find one, will run you about $25.00 to $35.00 US Dollars from ebay.com, or if you have a WalMart in your area, you can probably get a brand new one for about $40.00 or so.

Good Luck,

- zipperback

Beans

I too going to buy a Sansa Fuze 8 GB + 8GB Micro SDHC card within a few days.Great sound quality,Linux,OGG and FLAC support.

Total cost: Lower than 100$

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zipperback View Post
    Before I got my ipod nano 16gb, I had a Creative Labs MuVo v100 1GB mp3 player, and then about 6 months later I bought another one (MuVo) becuase I wanted something with more storage capacity.

The MuVo v100 is a usb device and mounts up automatically as a standard flash drive, so you can easily drag and drop your music on to your player, or you can use an application to manage your music such as Rhythmbox.

8gb ipod nano runs about $130.00 US Dollars
    16gb ipod nano runs about $175.00 US Dollars
    2gb creative muvo, if you can find one, will run you about $25.00 to $35.00 US Dollars from ebay.com, or if you have a WalMart in your area, you can probably get a brand new one for about $40.00 or so.

Good Luck,

- zipperback
    Nanos are kinda blah in the first place. (I have a 2nd gen) And any iPod + Linux is more bleh. The Muvo's pretty good if you really only want audio. But I personally can't live without a screen.
    ndrw.me | Twitter
    Ubuntu + Vista | Dell Vostro 1500 | C2D 1.4GHz | 2GB | 120GB | nVidia 8400m GS

Beans

I'm still using a Sandisk Sansa e280, which has been working fine but I had some problems with it in Jaunty (probably as it's so old now). I'd definitely go with Sandisk/Sansa again. Had nothing but good experiences with them so far. When my e280 breaks, I'll definitely look at getting a Sansa Fuze.
    Today we have 15 minutes of fame, tomorrow 15 minutes of anonymity.
    My Blog | Veza - Opensource TinyURL clone with sensible URLs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast