Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OpenGL: determining whether a point lies within a quad

Beans

OpenGL: determining whether a point lies within a quad

I know this is more of a mathemathical question than a programming one, yet what's the easiest way to determine whether a point in 3D space lies within a quad?

EDIT: Let's be more detailed. I have a bunch of random quads spread in 3D space, and I want them to react to mouse clicks in order to select them. I have found some code that uses gluUnProject to convert window coordinates to 3D coordinates, but analytic geometry fails me, and so does Google.
    Last edited by Bulletbeast; April 17th, 2009 at 09:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: OpenGL: determining whether a point lies within a quad

I'm not sure I get what you mean by "a point in 3D in a quad"? I Suppose you want to check if a point is inside a 2D polygon (with four edges)? If that is the case you can use the following.

Any line in 2D can be described by an equation like: Ax + By = C. Here ( A, B ) is also a vector perpendicular to the line. Now define a function

f = Ax + By - C

If you insert a point ( x0, y0 ) the result will be either a positive or a negative number depending on which half-space the point is in, with respect to the line (i.e. to the "left" or the the "right" of the line).

So if you perform four tests (one for each line segment) and the sign is the same for all, you know that the point is either inside or outside the polygon -- depending on your sign convention; Note that the normal vectors [ the ( A, B )'s ] must be defined consistently, for example all pointing outward.

Also this procedure might fail if the polygon is not convex.

This is one way to go - there are probably other ways to do it also..

Assuming you are using perspective, you need to find a way to create a new mesh with the perspective applied, then treet this as a 2D mesh and do a point-in-polygon test on each quad.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bulletbeast View Post
    ... I have a bunch of random quads spread in 3D space, and I want them to react to mouse clicks in order to select them. I have found some code that uses gluUnProject to convert window coordinates to 3D coordinates, but analytic geometry fails me, and so does Google.
    Figuring out which object in your world is under a mouse click sounds like exactly what OpenGL "picking" is for. I haven't used it myself, but I remember a fairly good discussion in the OpenGL Programming Guide (Red Book), and I just found a tutorial at http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/picking/. You might see if either of these solves your problem...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DougB1958 View Post
    Figuring out which object in your world is under a mouse click sounds like exactly what OpenGL "picking" is for. I haven't used it myself, but I remember a fairly good discussion in the OpenGL Programming Guide (Red Book), and I just found a tutorial at http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/picking/. You might see if either of these solves your problem...
    Out of curiosity I read somewhere(can't remember where alas) that picking should be avoided and instead draw all objects with unique colour and use that to determine which object was clicked.

Any truth to that and if so why? Picking sounded more useful for me as I could use objects own ID to name it. With different colours I would need either add colour data to objects(or use colour instead of ID) or figure way to link ID to colours.

Dunno. Haven't got around for picking yet.

Beans

On the topic of picking, I can't seem to get any hits with it. Here's my code (based on this and the pages that follow):

Code:
    int DrawSelectionScene(GLvoid)
    { 
      glTranslatef(0.0f,0.0f,zoom-26.0f);

glRotatef(tilt,0.1f,0.0f,0.0f);
      glRotatef(spin,0.0f,0.0f,0.1f);

glTranslatef(-galaxies[selected_galaxy].x*travelled,-galaxies[selected_galaxy].y*travelled,-galaxies[selected_galaxy].z*travelled);

glColor4f(0.5f,0.5f,0.5f,0.5f);

glInitNames();
      glPushName(0);

// A circle to represent the Supergalactic Plane

glLoadName(PLANE);
      glBegin(GL_TRIANGLE_FAN);
        glVertex2f(0,0);
        for(int i=0;i<52;i++){
           double angle = i*2*M_PI/52;
           glVertex2f(cos(angle)*(PLANE_START_SIZE+PLANE_INC_SIZE*(PLANE_NUM_CIRCLES-1)),sin(angle)*(PLANE_START_SIZE+PLANE_INC_SIZE*(PLANE_NUM_CIRCLES-1)));
        }
        glVertex2f(cos(0)*(PLANE_START_SIZE+PLANE_INC_SIZE*(PLANE_NUM_CIRCLES-1)),sin(0)*(PLANE_START_SIZE+PLANE_INC_SIZE*(PLANE_NUM_CIRCLES-1)));
      glEnd();

// And quads for the galaxies

for (int i=0; i<num_galaxies; i++)
    	{
        glLoadName(i);

glTranslatef(galaxies[i].x,galaxies[i].y,galaxies[i].z);

glRotatef(-spin,0.0f,0.0f,0.1f);
        glRotatef(-tilt,1.0f,0.0f,0.0f);

glBegin(GL_QUADS);
        glTexCoord2f(0.0f,0.0f); glVertex3f(-0.8f, 0.8f, 0.0f);
        glTexCoord2f(0.0f,1.0f); glVertex3f( 0.8f, 0.8f, 0.0f);
    	    glTexCoord2f(1.0f,1.0f); glVertex3f( 0.8f,-0.8f, 0.0f);
    		  glTexCoord2f(1.0f,0.0f); glVertex3f(-0.8f,-0.8f, 0.0f);
        glEnd();

glRotatef(tilt,1.0f,0.0f,0.0f);
    	  glRotatef(spin,0.0f,0.0f,0.1f);

glTranslatef(-galaxies[i].x,-galaxies[i].y,-galaxies[i].z);
      }  
      return TRUE;
    }

void ProcessSelection(int X, int Y)
    { 
      GLuint select[SELECT_BUFFER_LENGTH];
      GLint hits, viewport[4];

glSelectBuffer(SELECT_BUFFER_LENGTH, select);
      glGetIntegerv(GL_VIEWPORT, viewport);

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
      glPushMatrix();
      glLoadIdentity();
      glRenderMode(GL_SELECT);

gluPickMatrix(X, Y, 2, 2, viewport);
      gluPerspective(45.0f,(GLfloat)window_width/(GLfloat)window_height,0.1f,100.0f);

DrawSelectionScene();

hits = glRenderMode(GL_RENDER);

glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
      glPopMatrix();
      glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);

return;
    }
    Wherever I click, the variable hits always turns out to be -1. What have I copypasted wrong?

Beans

Bump?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tneva82 View Post
    Out of curiosity I read somewhere(can't remember where alas) that picking should be avoided and instead draw all objects with unique colour and use that to determine which object was clicked.

Any truth to that and if so why? Picking sounded more useful for me as I could use objects own ID to name it. With different colours I would need either add colour data to objects(or use colour instead of ID) or figure way to link ID to colours.

I seem to remember reading something like this somewhere too, but also don't remember where, or even if it said "avoid picking and use color instead" or just "using color is an alternative to picking." I suppose I could see color being a bit simpler than picking: draw your scene into an off-screen buffer, using exactly the code you always use, except that each object has a unique color. Then get the window coordinates of your mouse click, read back the color at that point in the off-screen buffer, and presto, you've got your obect ID. Also notice that since no-one ever sees these colors, you can encode object IDs in color bits -- for example, object 0 can have a red (or whatever your favorite color channel is) value of 0, object 1 a red value of 1, and so forth; if you have lots of objects, use one channel for the low-order bits of the ID and other channels for higher-order bits, etc.

But all of the above comes from someone who has never actually dealt with this problem in real code, it's all just my vague memories of things I think I've read somewhere. Maybe there's an expert following this who cares to improve on my thoughts...?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tneva82 View Post

The color solution is probably significantly less computationally intensive. If you are developing for an iphone or something, it might make sense. Other than that, just use the simple way.

Beans

On the contrary, I believe picking would be more optimized, or at least as fast as colours, with the upside of being able to retrieve all object sunder the cursor and not only the topmost.

By the way, it turned out that there's nothing wrong with the above code, my problem was elsewhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast