Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Adoption of Filipino Translation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Adoption of Filipino Translation

There is not really much difference in the Filipino and Tagalog Language. The only thing that sets them apart is the adoptation of the "salitang hiram" by the Filipino language. Meaning even foreign words are accepted/used/considered. I think to make this thing really ours, its better to use tagalog.

Kaya lang marami nagaalangan sa Tagalog 'coz their being misled, kala nila basta tagalog...malalim na tagalog na ibig sabihin.hehehe. etc...

English Tagalog Malalim na Tagalog
    Chair Upuan Salumpwet

Beans

Post Re: Adoption of Filipino Translation

elloh!!! just shoosshhh!! me if i butt in, i'm new here but can help myself na mag-epal.eniways, here's a word of ponder from tagalog lang site:

"So what is the difference between Filipino and Tagalog? Think of Filipino as Tagalog Plus. Filipino is inclusive of the contributions of languages other than Tagalog. For instance, it is quite all right to say "diksyunaryo" (from the Spanish diccionario) in Filipino, whereas a Tagalog purist (or someone stuck in the "Pilipino" era) might insist on a native Tagalog word like "talatinigan." It is also more politically correct to refer to Filipino, not Tagalog, as the Philippine national language. For Filipinos from other parts of the country, Tagalog is not their first language; they learn to speak Filipino because it is constitutionally the national language and taught in schools.

Postscript: Philippino, Philipino and other such misspellings are unacceptable and are jarring to Filipino eyes. Remember: Filipino is the noun that refers to the Philippine national language and to the Philippine people (Filipinos); it is also an adjective to describe people, things and such from the Philippines (the other adjective being Philippine). The country itself is called the Philippines (currently the Republic of the Philippines; formerly, and actually still, the Philippine Islands) in English, Las Islas Filipinas or simply La/Las Filipinas in Spanish, and Pilipinas in Filipino (Tagalog).

Cultural Note: Although the word "Filipino" is acceptable in Filipino (the Philippine language), most Filipinos will still say Pilipino when referring to a Filipino person while speaking in Filipino/Tagalog.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Good stuff. Thank you for sharing.
    Last edited by zeroseven0183; May 21st, 2009 at 02:27 AM. Reason: removed quotations: redundance
    advocating Free and Open Source Software, supporting the Open Web
    fight for your right to party and get your free cloud storage now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i will have to second that, this is very educational. thank you.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I can't get it? Un bang nilagay ko at yung post na yun e magkakontra???hehehe. So whats your ground? Filipino or Tagalog??hehe
    If windows will be kept open, gates will mean nothing....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

leipogs23:
    you were both saying the same thing.
    let me jog my memory a bit (please forgive me if i'm totally misremembering this, i'm getting old).. our national language was first called Pilipino until the late 80's when it was decided that it should be called Filipino. the F was a result of the expansion of the alphabet of which the letter F was a new member. it was also hinted that there would be more borrowing from the other Philippine languages to answer the criticism that pilipino was merely tagalog called another name. and then the cebuanos started singing the "lupang hinirang" in bisaya.

as i have heard an english language professor say on tv (regarding sms spelling) "language is dynamic, it is constantly evolving.. from the usage of its speakers"
    Μολὼν λάβε

Beans

I wish we have this passion on the actual translation itself.
    and not just be overly critical on what's tagalog and what's filipino.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

^ Yes boss. Will be spending time in Launchpad just as soon as I ship this last project out.
    I am a Man of Truth. I am a Free Human Person. I am a Peacemaker.
    ** Independent Multimedia Artist in Pasig **

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sorry for being dumb here.. but how do you actually do the translations using launchpad (parang medyo nabighani ako sa aking mga nakita at di ko malaman kung saan ako magsisimula)..

Maaari po bang magbigay ng isang maiksing "tutorial" para sa katulad kong "noob" sa ganitong gawain...

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dodimar View Post
    Maaari po bang magbigay ng isang maiksing "tutorial" para sa katulad kong "noob" sa ganitong gawain...

Thanks
    Yeah, I think dax have a rough draft already.

basically you log in to launchpad , go here (https://translations.edge.launchpad....unty/+lang/fil) , click one of themplate name, and translate away ..

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast