Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skype high cpu usage ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

Beans

Skype high cpu usage ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

I am experiencing high cpu usage with skype when i have voice conversation,
    I am using Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit with latest updates.
    The skype package i am using is 2.0.0.72-0medi.

My soundcard driver is snd_hda_intel and skype is configured to use pulseaudio.
    The problem arises also when i am making the test call, skype reaches 195% cpu
    usage (my system has a quad core i7 920).

Beans

Re: Skype high cpu usage ubuntu 9.04 64-bit

it seems the upgrade to jaunty also broke the working config I had in hardy (I decided to take a risk & go with the package configuration rather than maintaining mine). my recommendation would be to just switch to using raw alsa rather than pulse (which is what I'm doing), or try the OSS version of skype (supposedly the OSS-pulse wrapper causes less issues for skype).

Beans

was the pun on the thread title intentional???

Skype high cpu usage ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
    Sky high cpu usage ubuntu 9.04 64-bit
    Check out my little app. Tnote

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vlovich View Post
    it seems the upgrade to jaunty also broke the working config I had in hardy (I decided to take a risk & go with the package configuration rather than maintaining mine). my recommendation would be to just switch to using raw alsa rather than pulse (which is what I'm doing), or try the OSS version of skype (supposedly the OSS-pulse wrapper causes less issues for skype).
    I made a fresh install of jaunty with the beta 9.04 cd, situation did n't got any better.
    Is there any way get more information?

The only think i can verify for the moment, is that skype executable takes 195% cpu time,
    when i am doing a conversation.

Beans

i've had issues where skype would start hogging the cpu even without a conversation (I think it was an issue with establishing a connection with pulse)

Beans

I had the same problem on 32 bit. The problem was pulse or more accurate skype & pulse. I've changed the sound settings and it works fine, 3-5% cpu instead of 60% when in a call.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dof View Post
    I've changed the sound settings and it works fine, 3-5% cpu instead of 60% when in a call.
    I have the same problem here with Skype on 32-bit Jaunty. Could you tell me what your sound settings look like now?

Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bytesource View Post
    I have the same problem here with Skype on 32-bit Jaunty. Could you tell me what your sound settings look like now?

Thanks!
    These are my settings
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I had a maxed out CPU while running Skype. PA alone used > 20% of the (single) CPU (old laptop, installed Jaunty A4 and upgraded since then - mostly default settings, changed nothing about PA/sound).

The maxed CPU led to increasing delays between what I said and the other 5 in conference (used while gaming - the game runs on another machine).

I resolved the problem by installing the statically compiled version of Skype for OSS and start it with "padsp skype".
    I did not remove or kill PA, nor did I change any other setting.
    Asus F201E - 1.1 GHz - Intel - 4 GB RAM - Ubuntu - 16.04
    Asus G752VM - 2.6GHz - NVidia 1060 - 16 GB RAM - Ubuntu 16.04
    Dell XPS 13 - 1.8 GHz - Intel® Kabylake GT1.5 - ath10k_pci - 16 GB RAM - Ubuntu 16.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm experiencing the same issue with Jaunty 64bit beta. Making a test sound and test call loads one of my cores to 100%.
    I thought it was a bad upgrade so I did a complete install, and that didn't help at all.

I haven't tried the release candidate yet. I'll wait until the final release (in 2 days) and test it.

For me, Skype worked out of the box on Intrepid and Hardy. Seeing an old problem come back to haunt Ubuntu users is really disheartening.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast