Thread: UFW rules and "network browsing" for a windows share query.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Question UFW rules and "network browsing" for a windows share query.

Hi there,
    I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on a machine last week and all is going well with my home network and Internet connection. I have a directory on a networked XP machine which I have set to share so accessing those windows files is pretty routine in Uubuntu . I just go to ->Places->Network on my top panel and I see my "Windows Network" icon in the browser and click, then click on MSHOME and my shared XP directory icon comes up and I can access those files. All very straightforward. Being security conscious I decided to enable the UFW firewall on my Ubuntu box. Initially I set all rules to deny and then enabled the firewall with the intention of fine tuning as desired.
    Code:
    $ sudo ufw default deny
    $ sudo ufw enable
    I added rules to allow ssh (port 22) and vnc (port 5900). All very straightforward. I could ssh and vnc from my XP machine to Ubuntu. Unfortunately, with the firewall enabled I no longer had access to my XP shared directory from my Ubuntu box. There is definitely a firewall rules issue because when I disabled UFW I could access my XP shared directory with no problems. So which ports need to be allowed in UFW rules for me to browse my XP share ? 137, 138, 139 and 445 ?

****UPDATE*****

With the firewall ENABLED I fire up a terminal on command line and when I run the command :

Code:
    $ smbclient -L //***.***.***.***
    I get a listing showing my XP details and the name of directory which is shared. I can login to the xp share on command line by issuing the smbclient command :

Code:
    $ smbclient //***.***.***.***/xpshare
     smb: \>
    At the smb prompt I can "ls" and "get" files. So I am now even more confused as to why when using command line I can get into my xp share and when using "network browsing" gui I cannot ??!!

Cheers,
    uc
    Last edited by uncle-c; April 15th, 2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: UFW rules and "network browsing" for a windows share query.

You probably just need to open the SMB ports so you can communicate with the XP box. I believe http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=806000 covered the same thing you are seeing.
    ~Glenn

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Thanks Glenn,
    I have found some additional info. With UFW ENABLED if I go --> Places --> "Connect to Server" and connect to "Windows Share" I can access the XP share ( after logging in with my XP password), so your suggestion has confused me even more.
    Anyway, I can access my XP share and the fact I have to enter a password to prove my credentials is fine.

So with UFW ENABLED I could not connect to XP share via the --> Applications --> Networks method. The share did not show in the browser.
    However, I could connect by --->Applications ---> Connect to Server (login in with XP Password).

With UFW DISABLED I could connect using the ---> Application ------ >Network method and not be asked for a password.

It would be interesting to know why this is such.

uc

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Well, I guess I'm in the same boat... confused. I didn't realize you were being prompted for credentials and I don't know why the two paths to connecting give you different results. I may have to actually build a ubuntu box and play with that one.
    ~Glenn

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Sorry Glenn, I just tried ( with firewall enabled) the
    ---->Places --->Connect to server method. It asked me for login credentials but I could access the XP share by entering nothing. I am still confused as to why I cannot access the XP share via the ---->Places--->Network method ??!!! Would be very intrigued by your findings !!!

uc
    Last edited by uncle-c; April 16th, 2009 at 02:38 PM.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Lightbulb Re: UFW rules and "network browsing" for a windows share query.

I found a solution

Code:
    sudo ufw allow from any app Samba to "yourlinuxboxIP"