Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

Currently I'm using my own remix of the 2.6.30 kernel, although I may revert back to the 2.6.29 as there are some issues here and there with a few things (KVM and Pre-Empt don't seem to go so well together in this release).

Secondly, why use KernelCheck? The packages that Debian have available make it easy to build/install kernels.
    Thirdly, why worry about CPU optimizations? The kernel runs good enough as is!

The Master Kernel thread should give you a rough guide on how to do it.

edit:
    Righteo, here is my kernel right here, configured + with patches. http://download330.mediafire.com/fyo....6.29.4.tar.gz

The only thing that you probably really need to be concerned about are the following two in 'make menuconfig'
    Code:
    Processor type and features ---> Processor family
    Which is set to "Core 2", so if you don't have that type of CPU, change appropriately. The default in Ubuntu is "Generic", at least I think ...
    Code:
    Processor type and features ---> Preemption Mode
    Which is set to "Real-Time". I use this setting because it allows me to configure device access in to a better degree that allows me to do cool stuff such as music production, but the setting has been criticised in the past for the overhead that comes with it. The default in Ubuntu is "Desktop".

To build, I use the following:
    Code:
    INSTALL_MOD_STRIP=1 CONCURRENCY_LEVEL=3 fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version="-tazo" kernel_image kernel_headers modules_image
    INSTALL_MOD_STRIP drastically reduces the size of the kernel.
    CONCURRENCY_LEVEL speeds up compiling time as is optimised for 2 cores, set to 2 if you only have 1.
    --append-to-version is my own silly name I give them.

Afterwards, there will be 2 deb files in the upper directory, just use dpkg -i to install them. And if you have put in the NViDIA hook in the "Keeping in sync with Kernel Updates" section of my howto, you will see that NVIDIA autocompiles for the newly installed kernel and "just works (tm)" when you reboot into it.

Anyways, that is there for anyone interested in my setup.

Regards
    Iain
    Last edited by ibuclaw; July 27th, 2009 at 09:43 PM.

Beans

Talking Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

Hi Everyone, I followed this post to install the latest release Nvidia driver Version 185.18.29 on my Linux machine Running Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty kernel 2.6.30.3-candela. I must say it was a bit nerve wracking...1st installation didnt work. It was giving me errors (something about xinit errors and could not find monitor or display). 2nd time I went over the guide from step 1 and followed it to the tee...reboot...still got that xinit error but at least it found a monitor but "display cannot be use" or some such error. Reinstalled the 3rd time (Step 1 deja vu!) and modified my xorg.conf under 'Section "Device"' by adding "BusID 3:0:0:0" to tell the system which video card to use (I have two)...also under Section "Screen" I added an entry "Option "SLI" "On". Reboot...and VOILA! It worked. Im new at this Linux stuff (bout 3 months or so) an i must say this guide helped tremendously! THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Tinivole you DA MAN!

Beans

Hello All,
    I just installed the latest nvidia driver (185.18.31) for my GEForce Go 7400 graphic card, whenever i attempt to launch an application by clicking on the shortcut placed on the top panel, the Desktop kinda jumps and the window crashes, does anybody know how to fix this, also before i installed this driver i uninstalled compiz-fusion completely.I look forward to your replies.
    "The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number #27152"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bngguy View Post
    Hello All,
    I just installed the latest nvidia driver (185.18.31) for my GEForce Go 7400 graphic card, whenever i attempt to launch an application by clicking on the shortcut placed on the top panel, the Desktop kinda jumps and the window crashes, does anybody know how to fix this, also before i installed this driver i uninstalled compiz-fusion completely.I look forward to your replies.
    Have you tried running the application in a terminal? Does it output anything.

If not, check your syslogs for any events that happen after you launch the application.

Regards
    Iain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Talking Re: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

I|ve just installed the new driver 185.31 for my graphic card GTX 260. everything seems perfect except minor refresh problems: in menu when you put your pointer on an option and is marked with orange, it's stays like that even when your mouse is far away. But i can live with that
    Thank allot for the tutorial!

PS: I checked if there is another post with GTX 260, i didn't find any...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tinivole View Post
    Have you tried running the application in a terminal? Does it output anything.

If not, check your syslogs for any events that happen after you launch the application.

Regards
    Iain
    Iain,
    Thanks for your response, i did check my syslogs but i dont see any error messages, when i tried launching it from the command line, i get a floating point exception for all the applications like firefox, gcalctool, gedit , transmission etc,.... any ideas how to fix this???.I've uploaded xsession-errors file to mediafire http://www.mediafire.com/?zmnzm2lmyeg .I look forward to your reply.

Regards,
    Aravind
    Last edited by bngguy; August 4th, 2009 at 10:22 AM.
    "The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number #27152"

Beans

Worked fine for me, Asus x83vb-x2 laptop, geforce 9300m gs 512MB, YAY

Beans

Hi,
    just wanted to say thanks - spent all of yesterday trying and failing to upgrade from 180 drivers to 185 - finally followed the entire clean-out routine set out here, reinstalled 185, set the BusId and it's working perfectly.

System:
    Ubuntu Hardy 8.04
    Geforce 7300 Se
    Tesla C870.

Cheers!
    -Tim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Awesome. Smooth install on a 64bit Jaunty lenovo. Thanks a ton!

Beans

I didn't have any problems the first time i installed this. After a while it stopped working. So I'm having to reinstall the nvidia driver. I followed everything and when I go to the tty console thingy, I typed the right commands but when I began the installer, I get: sh: Can't open usr/src/nvidia-driver. I did EVERYTHING right. I would appreciate if some one would give me a step by step solution. thanks.

Page 17 of 32 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast