Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: just a quick question about debian.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

just a quick question about debian.....

when i tried to install 5.0.0 about a week ago it took over 3 hours to erasre the data on my harddrive before installing the etx3 filesystem, should it have taken that long?

Beans

Re: just a quick question about debian.....

Unless you have an rpm <7200, its not a good sign.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by supersonicdarky View Post
    Unless you have an rpm <7200, its not a good sign.
    its 7200. ubuntu has no problem it takes like 1 minute to create a ext3/ext4 filesystem, but debian took f-o-r-e-v-e-r

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Was it because you used a net-install CD?
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans

there have been a lot of changes in the installer, i'm sure there are a few hiccups here and there. i used the net installer> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/da...sinesscard.iso

didn't really pay much attention when i installed gnome yesterday, it was a little slow installing, but gnome has grown since the last time i tried it, it's around 800+ packages, use to be around 600+.

i'm going to do a xfce4 install later today, i'll try and pay more attention and get back to you.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by MaxIBoy View Post
    Was it because you used a net-install CD?
    no it was a full iso image, it was ERASING the harddrive data for over 3hours, it could of actually been longer than that.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    there have been a lot of changes in the installer, i'm sure there are a few hiccups here and there. i used the net installer> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/da...sinesscard.iso

didn't really pay much attention when i installed gnome yesterday, it was a little slow installing, but gnome has grown since the last time i tried it, it's around 800+ packages, use to be around 600+.

i'm going to do a xfce4 install later today, i'll try and pay more attention and get back to you.
    noooooooooooooo. im not talking about INSTALLING anything. just when it gets to the section saying ERASING DATA FROM XXXX HDD it took over 3/4 hours

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Okay, sounds like your hard drive is screwed up or something.

Go into the BIOS and enable S.M.A.R.T. (which is a hard drive failure warning built into anything manufactured in the last decade.)

If it doesn't go off, that doesn't mean your hard drive is OK, but if it does go off, it definitively means your hard drive is not OK.
    He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself.
    -Thomas Paine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoma View Post
    noooooooooooooo. im not talking about INSTALLING anything. just when it gets to the section saying ERASING DATA FROM XXXX HDD it took over 3/4 hours
    i just started installing, the format the drive part took a split second, it was so quick it just flashed and went straight to retrieving packages. i used reiserfs for my install.
    Last edited by kerry_s; April 14th, 2009 at 02:43 AM.

Beans

There's a bug that will hang it at 33% for a very long time is that where it happened? Might be 34% it's close to 33% I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast