Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's heat production like in the Pangolin?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What's heat production like in the Pangolin?

3Miro
    X sensors do not work for me (it is some sort of a strange bug, many people have it). I installed command line lm-sensors and also nvidia x-server settings.
    How did you install these? All I know is there are three ways to install things: apt-get, add-remove, and synaptic. And I have only used add-remove in windows.

I know you and I got machines about the same time, so I feel that there is a high probablity that if X sensors do not work for you, they will not work for me.

I haven't tried anything yet. I thought there was something already installed on the machine, and I only needed to know where.

Thanks, Eldera

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've been following this thread since I received shipment of my new Pangolin last Friday (and am liking it a lot!) and also want to monitor the temps since this is my first laptop. I just installed xsensors using Synaptic, which also installed lm-sensors automatically (presumably as the backend.) I can confirm that xsensors does not work, with only a blank window opening with no content. More interesting, though is I can't find lm-sensors anywhere on the drive, though Synaptic indicated it was installing it, and indeed trying to run it in the terminal returns a "command not found" message. Maybe there's a problem with the install of the backend program? Anyway I thought it was interesting and hope to see if someone else more educated than me can figure it out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

We dont' test with lm-sensors, but I know it works with some machines and not with others.

A good program to use to monitor your nVidia card is...

nvidia-settings
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I use "acpitempf" in Conky, but there is also an applet for gnome-panel that monitors temperature, it's in synaptic under "sensors-applet". It's not very configurable, though.

Beans

My Pangolin CPU runs at about 45-50C in normal use, and goes up to about 70-80 when running World of Warcraft in Wine. I don't monitor any other temperatures.

Beans

I installed X-Sensors via Add/Remove and when it wasn't working I started researching why. There is a bug with it not recognizing the newer CPUs or something of the sort. It works neither on my desktop (AMD) nor on my laptop (Intel).

I configured lm-sensors manually (there is a pretty straight forward step-by-step script). I can just call "sensors" from the command line and it gives me the CPU temp. I even made a small python script that calls it every 2 seconds so I can continuously monitor the thing.

KDE has a CPU temp monitor tool that works on my Desktop.

For GPU temps, I use Nvidia-Setting.

Beans
    Hidden!

I found nvidia-settings. Thank you everyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by ResumeMan View Post
    My Pangolin CPU runs at about 45-50C in normal use, and goes up to about 70-80 when running World of Warcraft in Wine. I don't monitor any other temperatures.
    Sweet. My hp right now is running about 60 during normal use and spikes up to 80 (gpu has gotten up to 95) when I'm running virtualbox. So the pangolin should be a little cooler, and hopefully my chillmat will help as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I haven't been taking my Pangolin anywhere recently, so I have it running with the battery out on top of a cooling rack. It's running now at 59C, which I guess is a normal number. Since my laptop is currently the center of my entertainment center, I leave it on all the time since I'm always using it.
    Ubuntu user since Dec. 2008, User #485010.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by flukeairwalker View Post
    I haven't been taking my Pangolin anywhere recently, so I have it running with the battery out on top of a cooling rack. It's running now at 59C, which I guess is a normal number. Since my laptop is currently the center of my entertainment center, I leave it on all the time since I'm always using it.
    Have you tried to stop the cooling rack and see if it will get hotter. My Pangolin is well closed from below that cooling mat makes no difference for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast