Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's heat production like in the Pangolin?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

What's heat production like in the Pangolin?

This may seem like an odd question but for those of you with the Pangolin Performance, how hot does your laptop usually get?
    I've had two laptops over the past two years that have had really awful lifespans, and also run quite hot. Correlation doesn't imply causation, of course, but a constant temperature around 160+ cannot be good for the hardware.
    I'm now in the market for a new laptop and it would be great if I didn't get burns on my legs as I did with my macbook!

What's the word?

Beans

Re: What's heat production like in the Pangolin?

I guess it depends on the model, the 9300M motherboards are somewhat on the warm size, not bad though.

Here is what mine does:

Normal work (docs, pdf, LaTeX, Open Office, FireFox) CPU is about 30 - 40 and GPU 57 - 63 (Celsius, don't get confused). On heavy CPU apps the CPU gets to 50 with the GPU in low 60s.

Haven't tried games.

It will be less if I turn off compiz or at least the cube, however, I have become to consider the 3D cube as irreplaceable part of the desktop functionality.

More often than not I do use it as suggested i.e. on top of my lap. I have not suffered any burns yet, it is warm but its fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Great! I'm pretty impressed with the specs versus price on the pangolin, seems very reasonable and golly, can't beat the customer service.

Beans

I am sure if you get sys76 laptop and install windows on it, you will still get better support here than from Dell. I really like it that people are not like: "You changed the OS on the computer, we void your warranty"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I know S76 doesn't "officially" support Windows on their computers, BUT they do offer a detailed howto for dual booting, along with all the drivers needed.

Which helps a lot, about 4 months ago I put a copy of XP on a 4 year old customs PC...wow hunting down all the drivers was a pain!!!!!!!

http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Win...stem76_Machine

and the drivers,

http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Panp4

Beans

My sister had to reinstall windows on her somewhat older computer. It windows, so everyone is supposed to have drivers for it, right? Took her 2 days to find the sound driver (computer wasn't Dell, just to clarify).

So with a Linux machine you may still get better windows support.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    So with a Linux machine you may still get better windows support.
    Just to be fair that is also due to how dedicated the Linux community is to helping each other out.

Enjoy the Pangoline, I have one and it works wonderfully. With Windows on it Im able to play such newer games as Half-Life 2 at max settings, and Elder Scrolls 4 at almost max.

Heat wise....I would recommend putting the computer on a table, and not your lap.

(When playing said games)
    Last edited by Lee_Machine; April 14th, 2009 at 02:18 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Newbie Question: How does one access/display the temperature?

My Pangolin runs warmer to the touch than my Acer and now I am curious if it is staying within safe limits?

Thank you, 76ers

Beans
    Distro

Install X-Sensors from Add/Remove

Beans

On my desktop I play Oblivion (Elder Scrolls V) flawlessly. I have not tried it on the laptop.

X sensors do not work for me (it is some sort of a strange bug, many people have it). I installed command line lm-sensors and also nvidia x-server settings.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast