Thread: Ultamatix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Ultamatix

The Ultamatix package sounds great. Where can I get an installer for 8.10?

thanks, rick
    Things I will never do: Give you up, Let you down, Run around, Desert you, Make you cry, Say goodbye, Tell a lie or Hurt you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Ultamatix

Quote Originally Posted by rick astley View Post
    The Ultamatix package sounds great. Where can I get an installer for 8.10?

thanks, rick
    I generally would advise against installing Ultimatix. This also used to be the forum policy, but I'm not sure if it's since changed.

What do you want to install it for?

Beans

Yes its kind of fallen out of favor here ever since medibuntu and the ubuntu-restricted-extras package.
    And getdeb
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Ultamatix is not a good idea, and not at all necessary.

What are you want to use it for? We should be able to point you in the direction of anything you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Try ubuntu tweak instead. I find it easier to use and a lot less apt to break your OS.

http://ubuntu-tweak.com/downloads
    Phenom 2 x4 955, ASUS M5A97 r2.0, 12GB Patriot RAM, 64GB Samsung SSD (Ubuntu),240GB Vertex 3 SSD (windows 8) 1.5TB WD, 1GB Gigabyte 6850

Beans
    Distro

Against forum policy? are we talking about the same thing sir? "Ultamatix" not "Ultimatix."

What i want to use it for is the 100 or so applications it has to offer.

rick.
    Things I will never do: Give you up, Let you down, Run around, Desert you, Make you cry, Say goodbye, Tell a lie or Hurt you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by rick astley View Post
    Against forum policy? are we talking about the same thing sir? "Ultamatix" not "Ultimatix."
    Ultamatix is based on the older Automatix, which was a badly coded mess, and quite capable of breaking your system.

What i want to use it for is the 100 or so applications it has to offer.
    Auto/Ultamatix were designed to try and deal with some limitations that Ubuntu had a few years ago. Those limitations no longer exist. Most of those applications are available in the normal repos, and most of the ones that aren't (eg: Google Earth, Skype) are available from the Medibuntu repository.

Beans

they probably aren't the same things but generally, anything outside the supported repos can and do break systems and that makes it harder to help you fix things after they do break so generally apps like Automatrix and ultimatix are frowned upon.
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Distro

[SOLVED] Ultamatix

thanks for clearing that up with me.
    Last edited by rick astley; April 13th, 2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: solved