Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vector drawing software suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Vector drawing software suggestions?

Hi

I use Inkscape 0.45
    and Xara LX.

Installed them with the autopackage for so you have the latest Inkscape.
    Do not forget to uninstall the original inkscape first!

Xara has the best GUI.
    But Inkscape has some very nice aspects too.

Just use them both depending on the job.

Jan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I was also looking for a good vector graphics editor, and started using Inkscape when people still used Sodipodi. Now on Ubuntu, Inkscape kicks ***. There are also quite a lot of video tutorials on video.google.com about Inkscape.

Beans

I also am STILL searching for anything that can fill the hole that freehandMX has left. For flash development, there is nothing on linux that comes anywhere close. For instance; You can copy from freehandMX directly into flash. Right now, if I cant be bothered rebooting into windows, Im stuck with drawing in either sodipodi (nice but severely limited- No grid snap?? wdf?) or Inkscape, saving to SVG, loading into Scribus, exporting to .EPS, then importing .EPS into flash (which runs nicely on wine).
    Im pretty desparate to get freehandMX running on wine. Any ideas?
    Angels may soar; But demons dont get sucked into jet engines..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Inkscape is a really great package. It's extremely intuitive right off of the start however, it does lack the layering advantages of Adobe's graphics products... which is can be a problem for those who often expand on thought. Overall, it creates vectors quickly and painlessly.

Beans

I've never seen a drawing package that would do exactly what I had in mind, which is this:

Give actual x,y,z measurements, so that the object would appear already set to scale. Initially the z dimension would be hidden.

Be able to rotate the object and slant our view of it. For instance, in mechanical drawings, you generally seek a slightly higher view and see the whole object from one side. The slants are typically 30 degrees off the horizontal. Applied perspective can be allowed once the objects are in their final resting places.

In moving the object among other objects, be able to control the layers so that it can move in front of or behind other objects, Keep those other objects locked in place so that they do not **** about as this one is moved. Once in place. the new object can be added to the others and create or extend a group. The whole group can be locked into place, or move about, even rotated so as to make it fit properly among other objects. Objects can be color designated, subject to a light source and shadows, and either opaque or transparent so that some or all of the objects behind can show through.

What I am faced with instead is the need to draw rectangles just to ensure that lines are exactly vertical or horizontal, and having to drag the sides in and out to try and achive an exact emulation as to scale and size. These are just rectangles, and achieving angled views such as being slightly above or slightly to one side means trying to change the rectangle itself. or append and hide the areas where some triangles have to be made and placed to give the appearance of an angled view or placement. That third dimension, known as z, would interchange with either the x or y in some placements or views, and a critical factor is the degree in which any angle rotation effects the viewed depth of field. When a surface with z=0 faces us, we only perceive the x and y effects. Turned to its side, we would see instead where x=0 and the viewed dimensions are composed of only y and z. The same would hold if seen from directly above or below, or the object is rotated 90 degrees, and now the measurements are onluy seen as being x and z. Then there are all the intermediate angles where some depth of vision now means we see the sides, heighth, or depth as being shortened due to the effects of seeing objects at an angle.

I want to begin a drawing with a sheet of plywood that is precisely 60" by 16" by 5/8ths" in thickness. You know how hard it is to draw two overlapping 2D sheets that overlap at a visual distance of 5/8ths inches, and have that hold even if doctored a bit to add some apparent view angling or a tilt of sheet itself? You might struggle with it and get something that looks about right, but what of the next sheet that has to be then drawn? If any of the measurements are different, you could try dragging the sides in or out to achieve new effects, but if you have an effective 3D construct as seen in 2 dimensions, then some visual distortions to one or more of the dimensions or relatonships between the x, y, and z settings.

See, the idea here is to take the overall dimensions sought, then work out how the individual components can be sized and joined to fit with the overall dimensions, and even exactly how they have to be cut and how much material is involved, even before turning on the cutting machines or doing any buys. Get it right, and you can determine beforehand the exact quantity of plywod and what-nots, and priced the whole job accordingly. Doing it right also means no belated surprises about what the job entails.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldefoxx View Post
    I've never seen a drawing package that would do exactly what I had in mind, which is this:

Give actual x,y,z measurements, so that the object would appear already set to scale. Initially the z dimension would be hidden.

Be able to rotate the object and slant our view of it. For instance, in mechanical drawings, you generally seek a slightly higher view and see the whole object from one side. The slants are typically 30 degrees off the horizontal. Applied perspective can be allowed once the objects are in their final resting places.

In moving the object among other objects, be able to control the layers so that it can move in front of or behind other objects, Keep those other objects locked in place so that they do not **** about as this one is moved. Once in place. the new object can be added to the others and create or extend a group. The whole group can be locked into place, or move about, even rotated so as to make it fit properly among other objects. Objects can be color designated, subject to a light source and shadows, and either opaque or transparent so that some or all of the objects behind can show through.

What I am faced with instead is the need to draw rectangles just to ensure that lines are exactly vertical or horizontal, and having to drag the sides in and out to try and achive an exact emulation as to scale and size. These are just rectangles, and achieving angled views such as being slightly above or slightly to one side means trying to change the rectangle itself. or append and hide the areas where some triangles have to be made and placed to give the appearance of an angled view or placement. That third dimension, known as z, would interchange with either the x or y in some placements or views, and a critical factor is the degree in which any angle rotation effects the viewed depth of field. When a surface with z=0 faces us, we only perceive the x and y effects. Turned to its side, we would see instead where x=0 and the viewed dimensions are composed of only y and z. The same would hold if seen from directly above or below, or the object is rotated 90 degrees, and now the measurements are onluy seen as being x and z. Then there are all the intermediate angles where some depth of vision now means we see the sides, heighth, or depth as being shortened due to the effects of seeing objects at an angle.

I want to begin a drawing with a sheet of plywood that is precisely 60" by 16" by 5/8ths" in thickness. You know how hard it is to draw two overlapping 2D sheets that overlap at a visual distance of 5/8ths inches, and have that hold even if doctored a bit to add some apparent view angling or a tilt of sheet itself? You might struggle with it and get something that looks about right, but what of the next sheet that has to be then drawn? If any of the measurements are different, you could try dragging the sides in or out to achieve new effects, but if you have an effective 3D construct as seen in 2 dimensions, then some visual distortions to one or more of the dimensions or relatonships between the x, y, and z settings.

See, the idea here is to take the overall dimensions sought, then work out how the individual components can be sized and joined to fit with the overall dimensions, and even exactly how they have to be cut and how much material is involved, even before turning on the cutting machines or doing any buys. Get it right, and you can determine beforehand the exact quantity of plywod and what-nots, and priced the whole job accordingly. Doing it right also means no belated surprises about what the job entails.
    It sounds like what you need is a decent CAD package with 3D capability. As far as I know, the only suitable options are high priced commercial applications, like AutoCAD.

QCAD is a reasonable CAD package that is available in the Ubuntu repositories, but it is strictly 2D only and will not easily cope with rotating views or isometric projections.

Mal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123